This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Not Kubuntu, but working again

I probably wont make it a month.lol Wish I could figure out what the deal is with the keyboard and touch pad on this acer 5733.

Comment

Originally posted by de_koraco
      But how awesome are Acers, right? Right?
      That's the way I see it!

I've purchased several Aspire 3000's, a couple of Ones, and this 7739. ALL of them have been perfect Linux boxes. My wife's Acer 3410 was given to my son when I got her an Acer Aspire One AOD521 netbook. It's been running for over a year without a hiccup.

This 17.3 inch Acer, which I purchased from Amazon for $350, runs Precise extremely well, including the video, which has only 128MB of RAM, but still gives me 30fps on Stellarium. But, my Sony had been a good machine for three years, but then I could no longer burn bootable CDs, even though it could still make audio CDs. Then, three weeks ago, the last time I booted it, I got fs errors. It rebooted fine, and ran fine, but I think that was the beginning of the HD going belly up. So, I got this Acer just in time.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

OK reloaded again. This time KDE Mint 12 RC. Was fingers crossed and hoping. No luck though the keyboard touchpad thing was back in full force. Not good on payday and income tax day. Got the bills paid and the taxes done and started palying around. Ended up opening symantic and removing Synaptics TouchPad driver for X.Org server and touchpad configuration tool (synaptiks). That seems to have fixed the problem.

Comment

KDE Mint is a good distro. I played with KDE Mint 11 in VM for a while and was pleased with it, but not enough to leave Kubuntu.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

There was a few issues in KDE Mint 12RC. Seeing how I by removing synaptik seem to cure my touchpad issue, I decided to reinstall kubuntu. I downloaded Precise, but still to much flux in the alpha for my liking. Went back to 11.10 updated to KDE 4.7.97 full, and removed synaptik. All is good.

Trying out some of the visual effects I was complaining about. Still not sure what the point of some of them are, but while stuck in the house they are keeping me amused. Trying to figure out how to make them work like some I looked at online.

I wish there was a decent income tax program, but for now I installed vmware player with an old tech copy of XP Pro I have had sitting around for years. Got the taxes done.

Comment

Working...
            X