This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Stallman Was Right"

I agree. It all started a couple years ago when he cracked a couple of jokes about a nun, or a woman, I forget the exact target and the joke. Maybe it was his joke about "EMAC virgins". Virginity is not gender restricted. Regardless, it was trivial and making a big deal out of it was nonsense, but the PC crowd, no doubt aided by anti-Linux folks, jumped on that to accuse Stallman of being sexist. At the same time someone posted statistics "showing" that the Linux kernel coders were sexist too because the percentage of women coding on the kernel was less than the percentage coding in industry. What that poster conveniently neglected to mention is that coders from those very same industry shops write more than 70 percent of all kernel development is still done by developers who are being paid for their work.

Anyone whose read Stallman's philosophy knows the accusations of sexism are absurd. Bruce Byfield has been pounding that drum, and several others with an anti-Linnux, anti-GPL theme, for years, mostly for page hits. With friends like him Linux needs no enemies. Contrary to most of his assertions, the driving force in Linux progress is Linus Torvolds and the kernel development and the spirit of it is the GPL.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

When I clicked on the link The first thing that caught my eye was the adds at the top of the page.

"Criminal Records Online", "View Criminal History", "Search Anyone's Public Criminal Records"

Google adds aren't always that relevant but it seemed amusing to me.

Reading some of the comments, "beyond eccentric", " ticking timebomb", "weirdness", "parrots", "seriously messed up stuff".

Well, having grown up in the hippie generation with the Beatles and all I think that "Normal" is highly overrated, mundane and boring.

Weird Ken.
      Opinions are like rear-ends, everybody has one. Here's mine. (|)

Comment

"Well, having grown up in the hippie generation with the Beatles and all I think that "Normal" is highly overrated, mundane and boring."

lcorken, I would agree with you on all that! ;-)

In addition, I spent half my life hanging out with university professors, (published) researchers and writers, various intellectual-philosopher types, and the like. Stallman fits right in with that crowd, too. Many of the most creative, even gifted, researchers, creative thinkers and doers I've ever met fit Stallman's profile, whether it be in liberal arts, science, or mathematics. (Now move towards the business schools, and most of engineering, and you start to see the nondescript, orderly, vanilla-flavored coat-and-tie crowd, people who seem to have gone either brain-dead or have declared themselves intellectually retired even at a young age.)
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I wonder if people would say mean things about Richard Stallman if they knew that he owns a katana...

[img width=400 height=300]http://imgs.xkcd.com/blag/rms_katana.jpg[/img]

[img width=400 height=266]http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/open_source.png[/img]
          sigpic
          "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
          -- Douglas Adams

Comment

That cartoon points out one thing... Windows fanbois never tire of trolling Linux sites, a truly odd behavior if their contention that it comprisess less than 1% of the OS market share were true. LoverRock Davidson on ZDNet comes to mind. I've often wondered if he is/was one of James Plamondon's boys.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I've never quite been able to understand what it is that drives a troll's behaviour, and I'm not sure that I *want* to understand it.

Are they so desperate for attention that even negative attention will do? (Rhetorical)
              sigpic
              "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
              -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                That cartoon points out one thing... Windows fanbois never tire of trolling Linux sites, a truly odd behavior if their contention that it comprisess less than 1% of the OS market share were true. LoverRock Davidson on ZDNet comes to mind. I've often wondered if he is/was one of James Plamondon's boys.
                This is from xkcd, the author is a Debian user. There are episodes in which katana-RMS saves the day.
                "The only way Kubuntu could be more user friendly would be if it came with a virtual copy of Snowhog and dibl"

Comment

Originally posted by de_koraco
                  Originally posted by GreyGeek
                  This is from xkcd, the author is a Debian user. There are episodes in which katana-RMS saves the day.
                  Yeah, I love me some XKCD. Nerd humour FTW!

@GreyGeek - having read some of your other posts detailing your experience with databases, I think there's a particular XKCD cartoon you might find amusing:

[img width=400 height=123]http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/exploits_of_a_mom.png[/img]
                  sigpic
                  -- Douglas Adams

Comment

LOL
                    I had an authentic, non-papered, pre-wwII wakizashi blade for many years. I rebuilt a broken scabbard and bought real, antique firniture for it etc. and "built my own sword". For a variety of reasons I sold it some years back and purchased a "fake" at a gun show.

But....I knew there was some "other" reason that I liked Stallman...now I know at least one!

BTW, as a lark, while I was writing this I did a search for "japanese swords" and found a site which has, a FLOATING "real, live" chat window to which I addressed a question and received an immediate reply.

Now....there is customer service!

Halation effect, loved the cartoon!

woodsmoke

Comment

Originally posted by HalationEffect
                      @GreyGeek - having read some of your other posts detailing your experience with databases, I think there's a particular XKCD cartoon you might find amusing:
                      ROF, LLLLL That IS SO FUNNY!!

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke
                        LOL
                        I had an authentic, non-papered, pre-wwII wakizashi blade for many years. I rebuilt a broken scabbard and bought real, antique firniture for it etc. and "built my own sword". For a variety of reasons I sold it some years back and purchased a "fake" at a gun show.

But....I knew there was some "other" reason that I liked Stallman...now I know at least one!
                        Am I right in thinking that a Wakizashi is the shorter of the two blades that all samurai owned, and was the blade of choice for committing seppuku?

Halation effect, loved the cartoon!
                        I live my life in hope of one day having a legitimate excuse to exclaim "Hah! Microsoft lackeys!"
                        sigpic
                        -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Yes, it was more for "informal self defense" in a small situation and also for seppuku.

I practice with the wakizashi because I just don't have the arm length to wield it properly.

woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
                          X