This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tethering

so.......I just got my first "smart"phone a T-mobile myTouch 3G with Android 2.2.1 on a pay as you go plan $50 a month for unlimited talk,text,web ....... and noticed the tethering feature in the menu's.

having seen a post or 2 describing how difficult this could be I wasn't to optimistic about it actually working.

to my surprise all I had to do was plug the USB cable that came with the phone into my Kubuntu machine and hit the tethering option on the phone ............ and ........bam network manager showed a eth2 connected and usable that was it no muss no fuss just net through my phone ............... 8)

God .....Aaaaa flying spaghetti monster ........ you gotta love it when things just work

☢VINNY☢
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Re: tethering

yeppers, thethering does, indeed, work well!

woodsmoke

Comment

Same here

Getting a USB 3G/GSM dongle to work was a pain in earlier versions of *buntu - around 8.10/9.04 - but now that's effortless. (Almost ... you still have to click to connect )

Finding that tethering with an Android phone was even more effortless (auto connects) was pretty impressive.
      I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

When my Internet connection was out [numerous times] recently, I WANTED to tether my phone and laptop, but couldn't. Why? Because my *BLEEPING* phone doesn't get a signal in or near my house. > As I've said before, unless I go all the way out to the back of my backyard, stand on my head under the lemon tree, on a day with an "r" in its name, not so much as one bar. But it's good to hear from others that it's pretty effortless with the Kubuntu/Android combo.
        Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu
          When my Internet connection was out [numerous times] recently, I WANTED to tether my phone and laptop, but couldn't. Why? Because my *BLEEPING* phone doesn't get a signal in or near my house. > As I've said before, unless I go all the way out to the back of my backyard, stand on my head under the lemon tree, on a day with an "r" in its name, not so much as one bar. But it's good to hear from others that it's pretty effortless with the Kubuntu/Android combo.
          ahum well yes one must have a signal on the phone ......& I dont know about U but standing on my head under the lemon tree and trying to post and read posts would prob. make me puke :P

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Because my *BLEEPING* phone doesn't get a signal in or near my house.
            Who's your carrier? T-Mobile ran a promo a while back where they were giving out free pico cells to people in situations like yours. While that's long been concluded, I've heard reports that you can still get one if you're a long-time customer and call their retention hotline.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley
              Because my *BLEEPING* phone doesn't get a signal in or near my house.
              Who's your carrier? T-Mobile ran a promo a while back where they were giving out free pico cells to people in situations like yours. While that's long been concluded, I've heard reports that you can still get one if you're a long-time customer and call their retention hotline.
              I have AT&T. I've had it so long I've watched it go from AT&T to Cingular and back to AT&T. I think I posted this somewhere else around here, but when I was getting ready to move back to California from Dallas I called AT&T, gave them my [exact] new address, and asked about coverage. I had already checked their coverage map online, and it showed great coverage, but I wanted to hear it from a person, too. They said that I would have to upgrade my phone, but once that was done I'd have WONDERFUL reception at my new address. Yeah...right. I'm on my fourth phone since moving back here [in 2006], and it's always the same: NO BARS.

Originally posted by vinnywright
              I dont know about U but standing on my head under the lemon tree and trying to post and read posts would prob. make me puke :P

Yep! I love the lemon tree and all the beautiful lemons it drops on the ground, but standing on my head under it, trying to use my laptop would be difficult, to say the least.
              Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

...but standing on my head under it, trying to use my laptop would be difficult, to say the least.
                Well, you are using Linux, and Linux is all about doing things in more than one way, so, have you considered turning the lemon tree upside down instead?
                Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                  ...but standing on my head under it, trying to use my laptop would be difficult, to say the least.
                  Well, you are using Linux, and Linux is all about doing things in more than one way, so, have you considered turning the lemon tree upside down instead?
                  OMG!! I hadn't thought of that at all. Tomorrow, I think I'll give that a whirl.

Comment

Re: Re: tethering

I dunno, sounds a bit dangerous to me. Hanging one's / way up in the sky like that? Who knows what vulnerabilities might there lurk?

Comment

I don't know...maybe I'll enter a parallel universe or something. Could be fun.

Comment

It's time you installed an outdoor antenna and put in your own relay system! Put a yagi on your roof and aim it at your nearest tower.
                        http://cellantenna.com/
                        http://powerfulsignal.com/home-cell-phone-boosters.aspx
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                          It's time you installed an outdoor antenna and put in your own relay system! Put a yagi on your roof and aim it at your nearest tower
                          I'm not sure it would be worth the effort (assuming you weren't being facetious!). I guarantee you *I* won't be climbing on the roof any time soon. I don't even change light bulbs any more [post-brain surgery] because I lose my balance so easily. Besides, I don't need my cell phone (as a phone) when I'm at home; my landline (yes, I really still have one of those!) has every imaginable feature, including unlimited long distance. The ONLY time I wish my smartphone would get a $#@!(*& signal [at home] is when my Internet connection goes out, so I could tether it. Luckily, since switching from DSL to cable recently that hadn't been a problem until last week. (That turned out to be a loose filter.)

Comment

Working...
                          X