X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Build a really cheap computer

Happy New Year!

We've built our first small batch of production boards. Apart from a minor error in the PCB design, they work very nicely, so we've decided to make ten of them available for auction on eBay. We have parts in stock for our first 10,000 units, and expect to be in volume production by the end of January.

As always, for more details, check out our website at:

http://www.raspberrypi.org

Eben Upton
    Executive Director, Raspberry Pi Foundation

Please Read Me

Comment

Will be interesting to see what the "production" price settles out to be. The prototype board on UK ebay (prototype board 10) is already over 1,000 pounds (British)!. Board 9 is at over 800 pounds (British), and there are still 5+ days to go!
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Interesting. I'll keep watch.

Comment

I think (and hope) those ebay prices are charitable (the money all goes to them but they see themselves as a charitable foundation). They state clearly in their FAQ that the Model A will cost $25 and the Model B $35, and that their aim the lowest possible price.
          I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise
            Interesting. I'll keep watch.
            At THOSE prices that's ALL I will do!
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

at $35 for the B-unit (256Mib-RAM) I will by one ...........thats better specks than my first laptop IE:700Mhz-CPU 128-RAM in the laptop ver. 700Mhz-CPU 256-RAM for the Raspberry Pi ...........I think I'll take some kind of wood parquetry antique looking little box and make a case for it to be a small portable computer for the WoW factor of it ........LOL

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

My guess is that I too, will purchase one, if nothing else, for the pure novelty of it. I would of course, put it to use. The case possibilities are endless (and could be a whole lot of fun).
                Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I was thinking a small Linux Server for DHCP/DNS/NTP. Just for fun. Maybe a Web Browser tool for the TV?

Comment

For a typical home network, I'd imagine that little thing would also make for an ideal firewall/router, too.

Comment

Oooo. That's a good idea there. Hmmmmm.

Comment

IF they can keep the price at $35 or less I definately will get a couple.

IF they run really cool and don't need a fan under load then I may be on my way to a computerized house!
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                        X