X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: If the Matrix ran on Windows

Originally posted by SteveRiley
    I use Thunderbird (and will use KMail) only as a front-end to Gmail -- I prefer true email clients over web-based ones. I try to keep as little data on my PC as possible; yes, I'm totally a cloud dude.

And regarding Office...I've slowly begun the transition to Calligra. I'm migrating what few personal documents and presentations I have away from Microsoft Office formats and over to ODF. I've chosen Calligra because KOffice looks be close to the end of its run and of course because it integrates with KDE much better than OpenOffice.
    Are we channeling, or what? Dittos on the true email client ... the three accounts I referred to are gmail accounts. I keep my gmail usage at 0 bytes. After my experimentation with KOffice (and Calligra, which wasn't that far along when I tried it) I returned to OpenOffice and then to LibreOffice. The WP files were converted to RTF. I may give Calligra a second look, if it is good enough to get you interested!

While I thought I wouldn't use the cloud I had to use DropBox to pick up audio files from a guy and then process them with Audacity. Kfilebox integrates KDE & Dropbox smoothly. Then I tried UbuntuOne. It doesn't integrate as smoothly. The UbuntuOne-preference app doesn't sync with the could, even with the sync option checked. I am forced to use the browser to upload files to it.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Looks pretty good here.

[img width=400 height=320]http://i40.tinypic.com/ebbg1x.png[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley
        But I have discovered one thing that I like very much about Chromium -- it sips memory! Where Opera sucked 225 MB, Chromium hovers between 30 and 40 MB. I like that a lot. Plus, Opera seemed to make my Acer run hotter.
        That's just one process. It has several, sometimes even dozens. Chrome is by far the hungriest browser out there.
        "The only way Kubuntu could be more user friendly would be if it came with a virtual copy of Snowhog and dibl"

Comment

That would be easily verified by running the System Monitor and sorting on the Name of the Process. All the threads would be listed together and one could sum their memory use.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by sixthwheel
            Looks pretty good here.
            Nice themeing...impressive.

Originally posted by GreyGeek
            That would be easily verified by running the System Monitor and sorting on the Name of the Process. All the threads would be listed together and one could sum their memory use.
            Two tabs at the moment. System monitor shows five processes, consuming 96 MB. Still less than Opera with one tab.

Comment

Working...
            X