X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why it takes a whole day to install & update Windows

Originally posted by ardvark71
    I find the situation with your wife's laptop very bizarre.
    That's why I had to pick my jaw up off the floor. I was STUNNED! I couldn't believe it. I had to play around a while to convince myself that it didn't need a reboot and that everything was working well. I left it on for several hours and was never once asked to reboot. When I did reboot it came up within a minute, so there wasn't any significant background loading before the desktop appeared. That's why I suggested that either MS or Acer has changed their policy on completing installs.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley
      Originally posted by eggbert
      I have observed this before.. Windows is INSANELY slow at installing updates. WTF is it doing for it to take that long??
      Component-based servicing. Read about it here -- pretty accurate writeup, and referenced in the article GG mentioned.
      Well. Recall back to the first page of this thread and my reference to component-based servicing. I now find myself in the very unusual position of trashing something on an email list composed mostly of Windows folk, and using Linux as an example of how to do it better! I'll summarize later...I don't think it's over yet

Comment

Well, let's see.
        1. Open IE, the slowest browser there is.
        2. Go to the Windows Update site.
        3. Wait for Microsoft to decide if you have a legal copy of Windows.
        4. Wait for the site checks to see if you have the latest update software.
        5. Install some ActiveX control that is required to run Windows update.
        6. Install the update software.
        7. Wait for the system decide if there are any updates available for your system.
        8. Download and install the updates.
        9. Deal with all the popups about installing the latest version of IE.
        10. Wait for all the IE updates to download and install.
        11. Deal with the popups about Genuine Advantage.
        12. Now wait for the rest of the updates to download and install.
        13. Wait!! It's asking for you original disk for MS Office. Don't have one. It will keep bugging you to insert the original disk until you uninstall MS Office.
        14. Reboot required, this may take an hour for some reason.
        15. Finally, all updated.

Comment

^You're talking about XP, right? Win7 is activated during the install, and Win Update is part of the system, not the browser.
          "The only way Kubuntu could be more user friendly would be if it came with a virtual copy of Snowhog and dibl"

Comment

Yes, XP. I don't have a lot of experience with win7.

Comment

Originally posted by de_koraco
              Win Update is part of the system, not the browser.
              Hi all...

It's the same way with Vista as well.

Regards...
              Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
              How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
              PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
                Well, let's see.
                1. Open IE, the slowest browser there is.
                2. Go to the Windows Update site.
                3. Wait for Microsoft to decide if you have a legal copy of Windows.
                4. Wait for the site checks to see if you have the latest update software.
                5. Install some ActiveX control that is required to run Windows update.
                6. Install the update software.
                7. Wait for the system decide if there are any updates available for your system.
                8. Download and install the updates.
                9. Deal with all the popups about installing the latest version of IE.
                10. Wait for all the IE updates to download and install.
                11. Deal with the popups about Genuine Advantage.
                12. Now wait for the rest of the updates to download and install.
                13. Wait!! It's asking for you original disk for MS Office. Don't have one. It will keep bugging you to insert the original disk until you uninstall MS Office.
                14. Reboot required, this may take an hour for some reason.
                15. Finally, all updated.
                #13, which used be a huge hassle, is what component-based servicing has mostly made go away -- for the OS as well as Microsoft-branded apps. The tradeoff one makes is carrying around multiple copies of portions of the operating system and a hugely complicated c:\windows\winsxs directory that's filled mostly with tens of thousands of hard links.

More later.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
                  Yes, XP. I don't have a lot of experience with win7.
                  Win7 doesn't have a procedure nearly as complicated. It does have wtf moments of its own though, but not many more than the average Linux distro.
                  "The only way Kubuntu could be more user friendly would be if it came with a virtual copy of Snowhog and dibl"

Comment

Working...
                  X