X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why it takes a whole day to install & update Windows

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/blogs/jamies-...king-10024734/
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Re: Why it takes a whole day to install & update Windows

What I don't understand is why the author didn't do what I ALWAYS do with a new computer out of the box--wipe the drive and install Linux. Could've saved himself a ton of wasted time, effort, energy and frustration, to say nothing of sparing himself the displeasure of seeing windoze on his computer.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

lol
      add to that the ever-pleasant experience of the daily Adobe update! >

woodsmoke

Comment

I've had some unfathomable things happen with the OEM version of Windows on a new computer I bought for my mom, but the kicker came yesterday. I plugged a USB mouse in, Windows pretended to "install the drivers" for it, and then had to be rebooted in order to use the mouse. That's the beauty of the hypermodern and ultralight kernel from outer space I guess.
        "The only way Kubuntu could be more user friendly would be if it came with a virtual copy of Snowhog and dibl"

Comment

woodyouravatarcracksmeupsmoke, with my connection issues the last few days I didn't have a chance until now to actually READ your 'happy holidays' avatar. I love it!
          Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

I just got a new computer that came preloaded with win7 and can sympathize with this. Out of the box, there was a boat load of updates windows had to install, and it takes FOREVER to install them. Most infuriating is waiting for it to shut down while it's installing "Update 8 of 500,342."

I have observed this before.. Windows is INSANELY slow at installing updates. WTF is it doing for it to take that long??

Comment

Just one of the many reasons I do not use Windows at all. And never again, the powers-that-be willing!
              ​"Keep it between the ditches"
              K*Digest Blog
              K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

I've often wondered how many BILLIONS of person-hours have been lost, especially in businesses--where they're worth $$$--due to the incessant slowness associated with using windoze. For example, rebooting--after everything from installing a program to [apparently] installing USB devices. Or waiting...and waiting for updates as described in this thread. Or reinstalling windoze because of virus/malware/adware/spyware infestations. And so on. Just think of all the good that could be done with that wasted money.

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu
                  woodyouravatarcracksmeupsmoke, with my connection issues the last few days I didn't have a chance until now to actually READ your 'happy holidays' avatar. I love it!

I thought it was a hamburger with worms coming out of it. You know, one of Woody's classroom bio projects!
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

It also depends on when (since the RTM or SP release) you do install/upgrade Windows. If you install just after the RTM or the next Service Pack is out, there shouldn't be too many updates to deal with. The Update needed may only be the Service Pack itself, which would take care of all the updates since RTM. It's just like if you just installed the most recent version of any distro (with stable-release or snapshot for rolling-release style). The farther along you do that initial install, the nore updates you may need to take care of before you are up to date.
                    The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

I have a new Acer AS7739-6830 with a 17.3" display arriving Thursday (Only $350, thanks to an Amazon Gift Card from my son !!!) from Amazon and I've played the Windows install game before. That's why I found the article amusing. I'll be doing it Thursday night.

Why? I plan to move to Kubuntu 12.04 after it goes gold but keep this Sony on Lucid for the foreseeable future. At least another year, or more, or until it breaks -- which ever comes first. The way the keyboard has been acting who knows how long that will be?

So, the new notebook will be running Win7 until the next Kubuntu LTS is released, and I will be spending about 8 hours removing the bloat and adware, installing CCleaner and Microsoft Security Essentials, and doing those unbelievable "updates". I might be cycling through half of the MTBF just getting it ready to use.

Comment

I upgraded Windows on my PC from Vista (wasn't too bad in my experience) to 7 two years ago. The upgrade two roughly two hours and I think three reboots to get it going. Except for one program (Roxio 2009 IIRC) that wouldn't work well with 7, the upgrade otherwise went smoothly. MSOffice 2007, CCleaner, Flash, Foxit, AGVFree (removed since then, now use the much lighter MSE) all worked good. no glitches (so far). I haven't been booting into it much now, since I have the grun menu set to Kubuntu by default, but I know it works, just in case...
                        The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

GG, I feel like I'm missing something (entirely possible, by the way). Why not just put [fill in the blank here with any Linux distro of your choice] on it, instead of keeping M$ on the new laptop? I'm not seeing a connection between moving to K 12.04 when it's gold and keeping windoze on a new computer. There are plenty of great Linux flavors to choose from.

Comment

The answer is simple... laziness.

As long as this Sony is still breathing, or at least gasping, I am in no rush. If I put 11.04 or a previous version on it this Thursday I'll have to do it again in April. That's too much work to expect a retired person to do!

Comment

Heh, pretty funny to sit here and read this thread -- after just spending two whole days performing a fresh install of Windows 7 on an older laptop for my mother-in-law! I could have done it on one day, but the thing -- like so much other HP gear -- runs hot, and the fan sounds like a jet engine. After some testing I realized I could replace the 7200 rpm, 0.65 amp Seagate drive with a 5400 rpm, 0.45 amp Western Digital drive to reduce heat generation and also switch from 64-bit to 32-bit Windows because the 32-bit nVidia drivers appear to stress the GPU less.

TBH, I seriously considered putting Kubuntu on it rather than Windows. But she uses an iPod, which I have zero experience with, plus I'm giving her my old e-ink Nook, so I felt it was important that she receive something that I won't have to deal with supporting after I ship it. Tech support for relatives who live 2,500 miles away is never fun.

Originally posted by eggbert
                              I have observed this before.. Windows is INSANELY slow at installing updates. WTF is it doing for it to take that long??
                              Component-based servicing. Read about it here -- pretty accurate writeup, and referenced in the article GG mentioned.

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                              I thought it was a hamburger with worms coming out of it. You know, one of Woody's classroom bio projects!
                              Dude. You must experience the touch of his noodly appendage. Pastafarianism FTW!

Comment

Working...
                              X