This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Merry Tux-mas

(We all need to acknowledge our humorous sides, else the World will be a very dull place indeed)

THE STORY OF CREATION
    or
    THE MYTH OF URK

In the beginning there was data. The data was without form and null, and
    darkness was upon the face of the console; and the Spirit of IBM was moving
    over the face of the market. And DEC said, "Let there be registers"; and there
    were registers. And DEC saw that they carried; and DEC separated the data from
    the instructions. DEC called the data Stack, and the instructions they called
    Code. And there was evening and there was morning, one interrupt.

And DEC said, "Let there be a word in the midst of the data, and let it
    separate the data from the registers." And DEC made the word and separated the
    data which were under the Stack from the registers which were above the memory.
    And it was so. And DEC called the memory Core. And there was evening and
    there was morning, a second interrupt.

And DEC said, "Let the data under the stack be gathered together into one
    place, and let partitions appear." And it was so. DEC defined the partitions
    as 4Kw, and the data that were gathered together they called BLOCKS. And DEC
    saw that it was good. And DEC said, "Let the CPU put for addresses, pointers
    yielding bytes, and structures bearing words in which there is data, each
    according to its type, upon the partition." And it was so. And DEC saw that no
    bits stuck. And there was evening and there was morning, a third interrupt.

And DEC said, "Let there be lights upon the console of the CPU to separate
    the addresses from the data; and let them be for signs and for diagnostics and
    for blinking. And it was so. And DEC made the two great Buses, the greater
    Bus to rule the CPU, and the lesser Bus to rule the peripherals; they made the
    peri- pherals also. And DEC set them on line to give data to the CPU. And DEC
    saw that it was good. And there was evening and there was morning, a fourth
    interrupt.

And DEC said, "Let the Bus bring forth swarms of data, and let stack pointers
    fly above the data across the partitions of the Core." So Bell created the
    great C monsters.c and every a.out that runs, with data swarming, and every
    pointer according to its type." And Bell saw that is it was good. And Bell
    blessed them, saying, "Be fruitful and fork and fill the partitions in the
    Core, and let processes multiply." And there was evening and there was morning,
    a fifth interrupt.

And Bell said, "Let there be UNIX." And it was so. And Bell made the errors
    of the Bus according to their kinds and the faults of memory according to their
    kinds, and everything that core-dumps upon the disk according to its error.
    And Bell saw that it was good. Then Bell said, "Let us make debuggers for the
    image; and let them have dominion over the a.out, and over the breakpoints, and
    over every address that sits upon the stack." So Bell created parity; in the
    image of Core they created it; even and odd they created it. And Bell checked
    it and saw that it was good. And Bell said of UNIX "Behold, We have given you
    every pointer yielding objects, and every identifier with value in its address;
    you shall have them for food. And to every device on the Bus, and to every
    program in the bin, and to everything that creeps on the disk, everything that
    has the mode of allocation, We have given inodes to check." And it was so. And
    Bell saw everything that they had made, and behold, it was a lot better that
    RSTS/E. And there was evening and there was morning, a sixth interrupt.

Thus the hardware and the software were finished, and all the host of system
    calls. On the seventh interrupt, it crashed.

[Credit for this piece, originally written in 1978 at Reed College, goes to
    Rico Tudor (now at Mark Williams Co.), who used 'ed' global change commands on
    the original (accurate) text of Genesis. It is reprinted here without his
    permission. - Phil]

Call The Works BBS - 1600+ Textfiles! - [914]/238-8195 - 300/1200 - Always Open

Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Re: Merry Tux-mas

he he he ........ Merry Tux-mas as well ......................I am however surprised you haven't gotten flamed yet :P ......LOL

some one kneads to write one on the baby Linux now ..............

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Great piece! But what struck me the most was at the bottom:

[Credit for this piece, originally written in 1978 at Reed College, goes to
      Rico Tudor (now at Mark Williams Co.), who used 'ed' global change commands on
      the original (accurate) text of Genesis. It is reprinted here without his
      permission. - Phil]
      Mark Williams Co--I have nothing but fond memories of them. They produced Coherent, a UNIX-like OS intended for PCs; when I bought it originally (circa 1990), I believe I paid $99 for it. I recall that they were very AVAILABLE, very willing to help when supporting their users. I had great conversations with Udo Monk, who was instrumental in its development. I was running it on a Packard Bell 386/20 with a 130 MEGAbyte (not GIGAbyte) hard drive and 4MB of RAM.

When I received my final upgrade in June, 1994, it included X Window:

[img width=400 height=266]http://www.smartassproducts.com/images/kubuntuforums/Coherent_manuals_smaller.jpg[/img]

Interestingly, they pluralized it on the cover, X Windows, but within the manual itself it was correctly called X Window. My poor 386/20 wasn't quite up to REALLY running X Window, so other than rare stabs at using it I just didn't.

Their manuals were exceptionally well written. I could look up anything and feel confident that I'd find the info I needed. I was really sad to see them call it quits shortly after receiving my last upgrade.

And then there's:

What fond memories that brings back! I don't recall ever using The Works BBS, but I spent many an hour on other BBSes--and I LOVE its reference to 300/1200 baud speeds. How cool is that?!
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Coherent was the first (I believe) *ix program my father purchased after he began using OS/2. He never really got into it much (didn't use it as a daily OS) if memory serves, but he did like it. He too, was sad to see their demise.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

What fond memories that brings back! I don't recall ever using The Works BBS, but I spent many an hour on other BBSes--and I LOVE its reference to 300/1200 baud speeds. How cool is that?!
          For my ringtone on my phone I use a mp3 of a 56K modem answering. I still enjoy hearing two analog modems warble while they handshake.

"He who laughs last is at 300 baud." - author unknown.

Comment

ScottyK wrote:

"He who laughs last is at 300 baud." - author unknown.

woodsmoke

Comment

Slapped this together for this thread!

[img width=327 height=400]http://www.smartassproducts.com/images/kubuntuforums/Tux_Christmas3.png[/img]
              Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Originally posted by ScottyK
                For my ringtone on my phone I use a mp3 of a 56K modem answering. I still enjoy hearing two analog modems warble while they handshake.
                That's funny--I can see how, NOW, that sound would be a nice reminder of days gone by. But back in the day, I'd disable sound as soon as I got a new modem working...I couldn't STAND that annoying noise!

Comment

Ah wow, this is fantabulous!

I feel compelled to make the following observation:

Originally posted by Snowhog
                  and the Spirit of IBM was moving
                  And DEC said
                  So Bell created
                  This creation myth actually names the three members of the deity. I like that. It's much more precise than the amorphous "us" we see in other myths.

Comment

Working...
                  X