This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Should I change my avatar?

let's look at this situation from another view: what if your impression is wrong? I mean, what if the poster of that PM is a fan of Microsoft and got disappointed when reading "no WINDOWS in house ... OR god made linux..." so s/he decided to make some fun with you to make her/him self happy which absolutely is wrong.
    BTW, everyone likes you and your avetars. do not worry at all

Comment

Well, I'm back online [for the moment?], after receiving yet another automated phone call from Time Warner this morning. It said exactly the same thing as yesterday's call, "We've fixed a network problem in your area and your connection should now be working..." But I'm still keeping the appointment. I've been told THREE separate times (Sunday, and twice yesterday in separate phone calls) that there is *NO* outage in my area, that it's just me having a problem, yet I've now received two of those automated calls saying they've fixed a network problem in my area.

Originally posted by knaxix
      let's look at this situation from another view: what if your impression is wrong? I mean, what if the poster of that PM is a fan of Microsoft and got disappointed when reading "no WINDOWS in house ... OR god made linux..." so s/he decided to make some fun with you to make her/him self happy which absolutely is wrong.
      BTW, everyone likes you and your avetars. do not worry at all
      Ah, thanks knaxix. I know this thread drifted a little...a LOT!...so I'll summarize for you what actually happened. It turns out the person who sent me that PM was not referring to my avatar at all, they were referring to an OLD slogan that said "On the first day, God created Linux...and the rest was easy." Then much fun ensued, and a mod stepped in and warned the PM's sender that proselytizing is not allowed here, including by PM, and the sender said he was leaving. *shrug* I actually wish he hadn't left, but to each their own.
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Originally posted by bsniadajewski
        with Bible (New American I think) in hand, actually invited him in and really tested them
        One of my all-time favorite hobbies! They don't come around much in Seattle, though. Rats.

Originally posted by GreyGeek
        I'd write a note to TimeWarner and explain what their "employee" did.
        Last month, one evening around 8:00 PM, the doorbell rang. Standing there was a man not unlike Santa Claus! Actually, he used to be a clarinetist in the Seattle Symphony, but retired a while ago. He now works for Comcast as a "neighborhood rep" -- these guys wander around and try to get their customers to switch plans.

He proposed that I change from what I have to some promotional offering that would add all the premium movie channels plus provide land-line, while lowering my monthly bill by $17. I'd have to schedule an install, though, for phone hookup, which would be $40. I could waive that by going to the Comcast store and getting the thing myself. Okie, why not? Sign me up, Santa.

I go to the store, old modem in hand. The counter rep looks up the order and informs me that I can't waive the installation charge by doing the installation myself (!) and that my monthly rate would increase by $30. What? Apparently these "neighborhood reps" don't know squat. So I left the store with no new plan. Actually, had them cut some cable channels to lower the bill by $35.

Comment

Steve, your Santa/Comcast story reminded me of something Comcast tried on me. I was still living in Dallas. A Comcast guy came to the door, asked what I had for TV and I said DirecTV. He then proceeded to tell me about all these great packages he could offer, how I'd save a TON of money over DirecTV, the picture quality would be better (that's a good one! my picture quality has always been outstanding), and so on. I KNEW that DirecTV was the *ONLY* provider who carried two sports packages that I could not live without, NBA League Pass (so I could watch every Lakers game) and NFL Sunday Ticket (the 49ers). Knowing that, I told him that I wouldn't be willing to give up those two packages--and he flat out LIED and said, oh, we offer them too! And not only that, but blah blah blah would be your total monthly price--and it was a lot lower than I was paying. I knew it was...nonsense...and kept pressing him on the sports packages. He never admitted that they didn't actually have them, so I got rid of him by telling him I was happy with what I had. The moral of the story? I'm not surprised Santa and the actual store gave you two completely different stories.

And, now that I've reminded myself of something else that happened... After I decided to cancel NFL Sunday Ticket, I got a call one day from DirecTV. The guy actually said--to *ME* (you know, the gal with balls bigger than most guys')--"are you sure your HUSBAND doesn't want it any more?" MY HUSBAND? Hello!! *I* am the rabid sports fan in the family, thank you very much. >
          Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

I don't see them much either <<knocks on wood>>. Oh well.
            The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

Working...
            X