X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A new lightweight QT desktop environment

Originally posted by nickstonefan
    Upon first view it does not look much different (layout wise) to LXDE. It does not come with its own window manager but uses openbox by default. It also doesn't come with a file browser like Dolphin but I simply downloaded PCMANFM for file management.
    PCMANFM, at least in the Ubuntu repositories, carries several Gtk+ dependencies, which sort of feels at odds with a minimalist Qt-based desktop. If only there were, oh, I dunno, a pure Qt file manager

Comment

There is actually. I have just downloaded and compiled a QT based lightweight file manager called qtFM. Will probably now remove PCmanFM.

Comment

It is not yet that customisible because I have not yet found a way of changing its icon theme but can change the window decorations.
        You can do that with lxappearance.
        "The only way Kubuntu could be more user friendly would be if it came with a virtual copy of Snowhog and dibl"

Comment

There is actually... qtFM
          Heh, that's what was behind my link. Are you perhaps browsing the forum with something that doesn't show URLs with a different color?

Anyway, how do you like qtFM? I recently did a command-line base install of Ubuntu on my netbook, added OpenBox, and haven't done much else with it. Perhaps I should check out this razor-qt.

Comment

I just installed razor-qt. Just getting my feet wet here, but the speed is making a believer out of me.
            FKA: tanderson

Comment

Hi
              I tried it some time back as an install, it was ok but I just couldn't get used to it. I've tried other distros with the same desktop style and couldn't get into them either, but I can appreciate from where they are coming.

woodsmoke

Comment

Originally posted by Jonas View Post
                Thank you for sharing! I have set up a Debian KDE partition because I wanted to try a stable release as a work environment, that use as little resources as possible so that I can use as much power on Blender 3D and other graphical applications. I'm not really satisfied with the DebianKDE, mainly cause I'm not used to it I guess. I think I'll try this on that partition when I get time, see if I can slim it down a bit further.

The little I've tried LXDE and Xfce (in a virtual box), I just don't like it. Think this looks promising.

Edit; what's that logotype? A pizza slicer? *mmmm ..pizza*

/Jonas
                Found this in the README file within razor. Maybe this explains the reason why the pizza cutter is used.

Icon/Logo by Andy Fitzsimon (c) 2011.

Conversation backlog (Andy vs. petr):

how does a pizza cutter sound for the logo/icon ?

my rationale

pizza cutters are razors.
                on the right angle they spell QT

also, everyone likes pizza

pizzas are already light but a pizza cutter makes pizza chunks edible whereas eating a whole uncut pizza would be awesome but stupid

I'm pretty happy with how dynamic it is as a mark / metaphor.

"Razor-QT is a desktop environment that severs all bloated libraries and junk to give you more speed, space and control.

Razor-QT is a bite sized modern desktop and it tastes great!"

Comment

I have it installed on a Packard-Bell Le Diva, a 600mHz PIII with RAM maxed out at 192MB.
                  A few minutes after boot and the Midori browser with 2 open tabs plus a terminal open it uses about 50% of the memory!

Because I previously had a very minimal install of LXDE on this system it already had all the applications that make life easy.

The default is in my eyes quite pretty and the speed is plain good.
                  This system is mainly used as a fancy picture frame using qiv as the slide show client.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                    A few minutes after boot and the Midori browser with 2 open tabs plus a terminal open it uses about 50% of the memory!
                    Midori is a Gtk+ browser. If you rebuilt that thing from scratch and then added razor-qt, installing Midori would pull down a lot of Gtk+ libs. For a native Qt browser, consider QtWeb or Arora.

Comment

Midori was already there because of LXDE, it's only used when I need google to find out about a configuration or such.
                      Installing Arora would pull in some 35 MB so I'll leave it until there would be need for a fresh install.
                      Because of the limited RAM it's necessary to start with a non-gui install and later add the desktop.

It's quite remarkable how much you can still do with such a limited piece of hardware.

Comment

Razor-qt 0.5.0 has now been released.

New in Razor-qt 0.5.0
                        new component: razor-lightdm-greeter for lightdm greeter on razorqt/qt4 based desktop
                        new component: razor-notificationd. A tool to handle notifications over razor desktop
                        new component: razor-openssh-askpass helper
                        new component: razor-confupdate for update older config files
                        new component: razor-appeareance gui for suppor config theming
                        new component: razor-globalkeyshortcuts for keyboard shortcut configuration
                        Overall changes

many bugfixes
                        razor-about was improved with system tech info embebed.
                        License clarification. Including GPL and LGPL licences in tarball.
                        Session files over different flavors of WM removed. Now razor-session handles a default windowmanager depending on what's installed. Users can configure it in the razor-config module later.
                        Split config session window, due new session autostart changes, featuring better system tray support.
                        more XDG standards implemented, also implements an autostart mechanish in freedesktop style.
                        new implementation of config files, there's a new module that help to migrate olders config files
                        nicer razor-config app layout
                        better integration with window managers from fvwm family
                        Desktop

Architecture changes to prevent RTTI related crashes and suppor for all Qt versions.
                        Huge performance optimizatons.
                        new desktop widget: notepad
                        Panel

new panel plugin: cpu monitor applet
                        new panel plugin: lm sensor applet
                        new panel plugin: volume control applet that supports alsa or pulseaudio
                        new panel plugin: color picker
                        new panel plugin: network monitor
                        featured improve fonts settings
                        featured auto size.
                        Runner

Support for VirualBox machines control
                        Themes

implementens new way of handle sizes and layouts, fixed and refresh all themes
                        Translations

Many translations added.
                        http://www.razor-qt.org/

Comment

Wow, Razor-Qt is really starting to look like some kind of "KDE Lite"!

Comment

The siduction team is going to release a new Razor-Qt version in a couple of weeks, to implement Razor-Qt 0.5. I installed the current Razor-Qt siduction flavor on my Toshiba netbook back in the early part of the year, but after a few days decided it was still too rough for prime time, and replaced it with LXDE.

Comment

Working...
                            X