Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Politics: How do they affect your personal life?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Politics: How do they affect your personal life?

mmmm. Yummy.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by ScottyK
      Last word is that the house in Aurora has lost an additional $30,000 in value since they sold it.
      Yeah, property values there have plunged. Last time I checked the county records, the people who bought the house from us sold it a few years later for half what they paid.

We're glad to be out of there. Our neighbor to the north was a hermit, and to the south we had crack heads. Not exactly the best place to raise children...

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike
        DYK, your fajita looks good, very appetizing!
        Thanks--they were fantastic. Every time I've served them to dead animal eaters they've been merrily wolfed down, usually with comments/questions like "THIS is vegetarian?!"

Unfortunately, I can't eat avocados that way. (But, strangely or not, I like them coarsely chopped in guacamole with lemon, hot chile, garlic powder, and onion--makes no sense.)
        That's funny--I was just talking about avocados with my best friend the other day. She HATES them, except in guacamole...and avocado-lime pie! Yeah, I know, I'd never heard of it before either. A friend of hers made some when she was visiting, and my friend said it was amazing.

Some people can't eat soy (in the Boca) for various reasons, as you know. But then, there's substitutions--beans, lightly sautéed zucchini, sliced portabellas, and such.
        Right, I can think of all sorts of stuff you could use instead. Personally, I wish I had invested in Morningstar Farms because I RELY on their products. I love, love, love their Hickory BBQ Riblets and their Tomato & Basil Pizza Burgers, and I use their crumbles in so many things--like the fajitas.

On a more serious note ... WHERE in your very excellent recipe is the hot peppers?! Anything will do--any picante [sauce], chopped jalapenos, chopped green/red hot chiles, anything at all.
        It's in the Baja Chipotle Marinade and the black pepper. I rarely make them exactly the same from one time to another, so I may leave out the marinade and throw in some Tabasco sauce, or leave out the black pepper and add crushed red pepper instead. The real beauty of it is that there are no rules! Well, in MY opinion, the onions are the focal point of the dish, so they're necessary. But other than that it's really open to personal taste/preference. And for a vegetarian version, you can toss on a little sour cream right before serving. In place of, or in addition to, the avocados, you can add chopped fresh tomatoes.
        Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu
          Unfortunately, I can't eat avocados that way. (But, strangely or not, I like them coarsely chopped in guacamole with lemon, hot chile, garlic powder, and onion--makes no sense.)
          That's funny--I was just talking about avocados with my best friend the other day. She HATES them, except in guacamole...and avocado-lime pie!
          George Carlin on guacamole.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
            I'd like to point out that we are the only country on the list that has food available everywhere 24 hrs a day in virtually every city and it's available cheaply and very quickly. I've never come across a drive-thru in Paris or Rome or anywhere else (except Mexican border towns). I'd wager a months pay that at least part of the underlying reason is all the chemicals used to preserve that food for the quick-prep service. That, combined with the demands of our society is whats killing us off. I read somewhere that USA life expectancy is getting shorter but I can't remember where.

Sorry for dumping on the joke stream... :P
            Think you nailed the problem - if people can't walk to the dinner table - that's the problem

When I was living in Umeå (north of Sweden) there was this huge parking lot for bicycles next to the central station. Next to this parking lot they were opening a modern gym, so they removed the bike parking lot to make room for a car parking lot. The irony that people are too lazy to take the bicycle to the gym - to go biking for exercise.

ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
            Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
            Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
            Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
            - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
            >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

DYK -- good idea about using tomato vs avocado slices in your fajita. (Except what George Carlin said in the SR vid about tomatoes ... ) Yes, I missed the chile in the Baja Chipotle Marinade since I don't use it and am not familiar. Here in NM, we do everything "chile" from scratch-scratch (maybe a little cheating w/Pace Picante now and then out of laziness).

For our veg* recipe club, DYK, I have this sandwich to mention here: On your favorite bread or toast (rye, pumpernickel, WW), try sliced tomato, sliced portabellas, sliced bell pepper (preparing it the way you like it, but thin slices may work better); and any spread you like that fits your diet: mustard is safe, or hummus, or both, or anything. This is the sort of thing "we" used to tease the vegans at the health food stores about! How could anyone call that a sandwich! Ick! Well, it's one of my favorites now, really good, and you can make it good by adjusting things (for texture, spice, or add a little sea salt, etc.) and remain veg*.

SteveRiley -- good piece on Carlin, one of fav comedians-philosophers. I remember the guy when he first started out. Comedians like him (and Robin Williams) are interesting sorts. You wonder, are they just so intelligent and insightful and reflective on the human species, or are they schizo (in a complementary (creative) way, a la RD Lang, et. al.)? I think of that not because of media speculation about such, but because I've had a couple friends through the years who "suffered" from schizophrenia, both very interesting, engaging sorts--never a dull moment, never a cliché, never a worn-out perspective; always fresh, insightful, stimulating and creative perspectives coming from them, usually in energized, rapid-fire succession!
              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

.... dead animal eaters ....
                Is there any other kind? Most give up on eating live critters because they scratch too much on the way down...
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                  Is there any other kind? Most give up on eating live critters because they scratch too much on the way down...
                  Good one, GG!

DYK -- good idea about using tomato vs avocado slices in your fajita.
                  Like I said, there really are no rules. I posted my basic, essential recipe, but you can change it up any way you like for personal preference. When I was getting ready to make them the other day, I spotted a jar of marinated artichoke hearts and thought, hmmmm, that might be nice. I didn't end up using them, but maybe next time.

Yes, I missed the chile in the Baja Chipotle Marinade since I don't use it and am not familiar.
                  See if you can find it. It has a nice, kind of smoky/spicy/sweet taste I really like.

Here in NM, we do everything "chile" from scratch-scratch (maybe a little cheating w/Pace Picante now and then out of laziness).
                  Wait--you're in New Mexico? I'm VERY familiar with the chile culture there--we lived in Albuquerque a zillion years ago, very close to the Sandia Mountains. So beautiful.

For our veg* recipe club, DYK, I have this sandwich to mention here
                  Thanks for sharing. It sounds good and, like my fajitas, totally open to trying lots of different combinations.
                  Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Hmm... dunno about you, but I'm certain that I'm very much alive when I engage in animal consumption

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley
                      Hmm... dunno about you, but I'm certain that I'm very much alive when I engage in animal consumption
                      You've just gotta love the English language! dead animal eaters, or dead animal eaters?

Comment

Prepositional phrases or hyphens can help. All of the following are unambiguous:

* dead-animal eaters
                        * dead animal-eaters
                        * eaters of dead animals
                        * dead eaters of animals

Comment

In my blog post, I used the very unambiguous "folks who eat dead animals," but was too lazy to do that here.

Comment

@ GG &SR

R O T F L
                            The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

Rewinding a few pages...guess what "top 25 best diets list" vegan, vegetarian, Mediterranean, and Ornish diets just landed on? Wait! Before I go on, let me get this obligatory nonsense out of the way: NO, this list wasn't sponsored or conducted by a bunch of raving animal rights activists. So, did you guess? It's the US News & World Report Best Diets Rankings. And why were vegan, vegetarian, Mediterranean and Ornish diets in the top 25? Oh, right! Because they're PROVEN to be healthier than diets containing dead animals. The Ornish diet is #1 for heart health.

Here's the list of the 22 experts who ranked the diets. I don't recognize any as being members of the ALF.

Comment

Working...
                              X