Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IF things are this bad, how bad would it be with SOPA enacted?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: IF things are this bad, how bad would it be with SOPA enacted?

Originally posted by GreyGeek
    Perhaps not, but if corporations (public, private or charitable) were not allowed to donate money to ANY campaign or to any elected official, or make or publish political utterances for or against anything, BECAUSE they are not real people, AND, elected officials were NOT allowed to accept money or anything of value from corporations for any reason whatsoever, it would go a long way toward helping solve the problem.
    You assume that up-front cash donations to parties/campaigns is the only way policy makers are purchased. What about all the influence trading which is done outside public view? The power to influence policy == the power to generate revenue.

What about this. MegacorporationX wants to purchase CandidateA. By your new laws, they cannot donate money to his campaign. Instead, they buy UnrelatedVoterB (and maybe one thousand others) to donate money to CandidateA's campaign legally. Votes are for sale you see, and it doesn't always require $$$ to purchase them.

I'm always skeptical of any suggestion that new laws or more bureaucracy are needed. Strengthening the web of control by govt. can only work to further diminish our liberty.

But what do I know. I probably can't add anything more to this discussion.
    Welcome newbies!
    Verify the ISO
    Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Article about SOPA

fundamentally it is two parts: most of the text is discussing the problems with it part of the text discusses that it is really a "cover" to fall back from to go to the first attempt and that people will breath a sigh of relief "that things could have been worse".

But, to repeat the guy gets very specific about problems with it.

The revolt against congress's new internet law

woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
      X