Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some people have really short memories or lack access to historical information

I thought I'd send these guys a link to the Mother Earth News

http://www.techworld.com.au/article/.../?fp=16&fpid=1

woodsmoke

Re: Some people have really short memories or lack access to historical information

Wow, a video clip from the future, after the economic & social collapse. Living off of salvaged hardware kludged and held together with bailing wire. From the look of their mud bricks they haven't even figured out how to make them so they'll last beyond the drying out phase. When those batteries wear out or the tires throw a tread and they have no more salvage to sort through, what will they do? Hunter & gatherer? The wildlife has been exterminated and they haven't learned how to prepare worms for a source of protein, or identify editable insects, or distinguish editable plants from the others. That leaves only robbery from their neighbors, or raiding the gated communities to plunder their resources.

Sound miserable, doesn't it?

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Re: Some people have really short memories or lack access to historical information

lol, just because it has a different name doesn't mean that it isn't "back to the land" and "doing more with less".

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Buckminster_Fuller

woodsmoke

Comment

Buckminster Fuller was a sharp guy.

The orignal link doesn't show anything near the quality of work or thinking that Fuller did.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

yes he was.
          woodsmoke

Comment

While I was teaching HS at a small country school ( pop: 486), we moved out to the oldest farm house in the county, built in 1887 using cottonwood for lumber. It was 5 miles outside of that small village, about 1/2 mile from the Platte River. Our nearest neighbor was 1 mile away. That was when my wife and I entered our "back to the land" phase using Mother Earth News as the source of info for neat ideas.

I often supplied meat by taking my shotgun and 3 shells out to CAP land and coming back with three pheasant, during season of course. During deer season there was a carcase wrapped in muslin hanging on our front porch. (During the summer I'd keep the cages of white mice and rats used during the school year out on the porch.) Then there was fishing. I kept the freezer stocked with Catfish and Bass ranging in size from 1.5 lbs to 5 lbs. My wife hates Bass now. I still love it. On trips to North Platte to visit her folks I'd come back with Walleye and Trout. During the Arab oil embargo the price of propane more than tripled. To fill a 500 gal propane tank (80%) took $600 of my $700/mo take home pay, and I was the 2nd highest paid teacher in the district. I replaced the propane furnace with a Warm Morning wood burning stove, and my son [edit: AND I ] spent an hour on Wed & Sat cutting wood. Along with the hunting and fishing, even the wood cutting was great father & son stuff.

Then, MotherEarth News commercialized. We canceled, I quit teaching and began my computer consulting business and now look back on those days of "roughing it" with fondness. So does my son.

Comment

GG
              I hereby stand ready to quit the forum because there is NO way that a forum can have TWO people that are so alike.

not warm morning, ......longwood

TMEN's article about a "electrical fence" that had the guy on his knee in front of a "little bird house" on a fencepost....was .....a friend of mine's and mine..... "fence charger".....the difference was that we were "stuck in the old way of doing things"....and TMEN put a radio shack "rectifier" in the thing....

I still have the original check stub for one hundred bucks!!! lol

this forum cannot stand having TWO of us!!!

woodsmoke

Comment

Well, you hang in there. I've already said I was cutting back, and I am. By this time next year, even if I am still alive, and as much as I love this forum and the fine people on it, I will probably be history here. Sadly, if the next year turns out to be as bad as some people think it will be, a lot of people may disappear from this forum. Some of the people for whom I refurbished a laptop have already dropped their Internet connection because they couldn't afford it and they can't use cheap dial-up because they no longer have a land line. Besides, after using any connection with a bandwidth over 1.5Mb/s few people would want to go back to a dailup even if both ends were using the V.92 protocol.

Comment

I was just KIDDING GG!

We all need you here!!!

woodsmoke

Comment

Whew! Please stick around, Jerry. Your contributions here are valuable.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley
                      Whew! Please stick around, Jerry. Your contributions here are valuable.
                      Hi...

Indeed. But so are the contributions of others who regularly volunteer their time here.

Regards...
                      Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
                      How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
                      PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Indeed!
                        (And I'm working on a way to virtualize Dibl and Snowhog!)

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek

Huh -- GG, you need your head examined -- I am barely tolerable in analog form!

Comment

I get the feeling they'd be happiest if you run them on an Open Source hypervisor, too.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl

Huh -- GG, you need your head examined -- I am barely tolerable in analog form!
                              Actually, I need to "examine" YOUR head... a little sample of gray matter, if you don't mind. Then, with my special biological ink and this special printer, perhaps, just perhaps, ...

Comment

Working...
                              X