X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snake Oil?

Internet Speedtest Result:

Download Speed: 2524kbps (315.5KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 30378 kbps (3797.3KB/sec transfer rate)

Your download speeds are 23.24% above what is to be expected from your 2Mbps High Speed Internet connection.
    I have a 2Mbps DSL connection at the house. It's nice to know that at the moment, my download speed is above what is expected. But 30Mbps upload speeds!!! Who is my ISP trying to fool? :P
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Re: Snake Oil?

Which site did you use? Was it speedtest.net?
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

No. It's a speed test utility made available by my ISP. I did test my connection on Speedtest.net and they report:

Who to believe? :P
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
        No. It's a speed test utility made available by my ISP. I did test my connection on Speedtest.net and they report:

Who to believe? :P
        Speedtest.net.

Your results from speedtest.net are pretty much like mine were when I still had DSL. It was embarrassing! There was a thread on the Android forums where everybody posted their speedtest results, and mine were--by far--the worst. Here's today's result, which is actually slower than normal--but a vast improvement over my old DSL speeds:

Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

DYK,
          I have Earthlink as well. My purchased bandwidth, for $52/mo is 15Mbs down and 1Mbs up.

Snowhog, your ISP is LYING to you, SpeedTest is telling you like it is. The only possible explanation is that your ISP is using compression between its modem in your house and its servers on the backbone, which I doubt.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
            DYK,
            I have Earthlink as well. My purchased bandwidth, for $52/mo is 15Mbs down and 1Mbs up.
            I have the 10 down and 1 up plan, at $29.95/month for the first six months, then $41.95/month. It's *SUCH* a huge improvement over the speeds I was getting with their DSL, there's just no comparison!

Comment

Mine sucks. But that is probably because my son is downstairs playing WOW, and my granddaughter is watching a movie on Netflix.

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu
                I have the 10 down and 1 up plan, at $29.95/month for the first six months, then $41.95/month. It's *SUCH* a huge improvement over the speeds I was getting with their DSL, there's just no comparison!
                There sure isn't. If your deal is like mine the downloads are UNCAPPED. 8) I download as much and as often as I want.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Whee!

Their "faster than 92% of US" comment is...curious. Am I supposed to be proud of this? Why? Really, it's a national embarrassment. I pay $62.50/mo for this Internet connection. On non-busy times it'll approach 40mbps. Still: my buddy in Singapore pays $20/mo for 150mpbs. Methinks it's time for another telco rant! >

Comment

Mines a little better this morning before everyone else is up and on the net. I'm paying for 7 on DSL, which is the highest available in my remote rural area.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley
                      Their "faster than 92% of US" comment is...curious. Am I supposed to be proud of this? Why? Really, it's a national embarrassment. I pay $62.50/mo for this Internet connection. On non-busy times it'll approach 40mbps. Still: my buddy in Singapore pays $20/mo for 150mpbs. Methinks it's time for another telco rant! >
                      A RANT Indeed!

A friend of mine in France pays $30/mo for a service which includes a 40Mb/s Internet, 200 channels of TV and a cellphone (don't know if that includes smartphones) for unlimited calls anywhere in France at any time.

That Verizon or any other telecom would demand $80/mo for 10Gb of data with a surcharge of $10 for each 1GB over the 10 is nothing less than unarmed robbery.

About 25 years ago I ordered a cup of coffee and a donut in a Copper Kettle restaurant on the I80 Interstate. When I got the bill it was for $5 and change. I put my hands up at the cash register and the clerk asked my why I was doing that. I replied "Isn't it traditional for the victim to hold up his hands while being robbed?" She wasn't amused. Neither was I. Needless to say, I've never been in a Copper Kettle restaurant since. Unfortunately, the only choices I have for Internet connections are the few, price fixings monopolists who dictate prices. This could only occur in a corrupt political environment where elected officials and federal regulatory agencies are bought off and become nothing but lawn jockeys.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley
                        Whee!

I hate you. :P

Comment

Qwest, now CenturyLink, has been promising me for years that they will upgrade the system to provide high speed access in my area for years. Still has not happened. The only other option I have here for a provider is not even as fast as the CenturyLink DSL. It's a real pain when I am trying to watch a ball game at mlb.com while someone else in the house wants to watch a Netflix movie, and someone else is playing WOW.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
                            Qwest, now CenturyLink, has been promising me for years that they will upgrade the system to provide high speed access in my area for years. Still has not happened.
                            When I was living in Dallas, I would continually get e-mails from Earthlink saying "high speed Internet now available in your area!" So--at first--I'd get all excited, thinking, yay!, I can finally dump dialup! Then I'd follow the link in their e-mail to sign up for this amazing fast service "AVAILABLE IN MY AREA", and I'd enter my ZIP code [or address?], and then see: "We're sorry, high speed access isn't available in your area." Idiots.

I did database programming for years, and it's a *SIMPLE* BLEEPING matter of selectively sending e-mails based on a customer's LOCATION. All they had to do was direct e-mail according to their customers' ZIP codes (or whatever other criteria may have been relevant), but, no, they'd send out blanket e-mails that turned out to be meaningless. Very aggravating. >

Comment

Did the SpeedTest numbers just go blank for everyone else? Here's how the now appear:

Comment

Working...
                              X