Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Android 4.0 7" tablet for $100 coming to US soon.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Android 4.0 7" tablet for $100 coming to US soon.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/...-coming-to-us/

Other models will include 8 and 9 inch versions, all with 1080p video.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Re: Android 4.0 7" tablet for $100 coming to US soon.

Well, crap. So should I go ahead and try to grab one of the HP TouchPads later this week, wait for the new Android tablet, or buy both?
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Personally, I'd wait till the sub $100 Android 4.0 7" tablets come in.

The HP tablets, are running WebOS and support for that will disappear when HP abandons their tablets for good. Right now, personally, I'd consider that "sale" just an exploitation event.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I'm going to be at CES next month - I'll have a report on this topic, no doubt...

Please Read Me

Comment

From the article GG referenced:

the tablet is powered by Ingenic’s JZ4770 mobile applications processor, which utilizes a 1-GHz MIPS-Based XBurst CPU
          MIPS is a name I had pretty much forgotten abount. Ingenic licenses their technology. A little Googling revealed some interesting bits...

http://liliputing.com/2009/05/google...n-its-way.html
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingenic_Semiconductor -- the JZ4770 has a hardware VPU (!)

Comment

The JZ4770 specs seem pretty potent: http://en.ingenic.cn/product.aspx?ID=78

I'll wager that it runs Chinese microcode very fast too!

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
              Personally, I'd wait till the sub $100 Android 4.0 7" tablets come in.

The HP tablets, are running WebOS and support for that will disappear when HP abandons their tablets for good. Right now, personally, I'd consider that "sale" just an exploitation event.
              Not so fast! HP has apparently changed its mind again--much like they did recently after saying they were getting out of the PC business. I just read this, HP will make its WebOS software available to open-source community, and it includes this snippet:

Hewlett-Packard said it will make its WebOS software available to the open-source community and Chief Executive Meg Whitman said in two separate interviews that there are plans to create new WebOS hardware -- including tablets.
              Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

I noticed that statement by HP before I made my previous comment, but being the cynic that I am, and considering their recent "reversal" which was plainly made to exploit the rush for even unsupported $99 tablets, I won't hold my breath for them to make good on that promise. Besides, without apps no OS is any good, and HP drove off the WebOS app developers with their last party favor. I doubt that too many of them will risk their time and treasure to gamble on HP keeping their word. I suspect that if any OS appears on an HP tablet in the future it will be the WinP7 OS.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                  HP drove off the WebOS app developers with their last party favor. I doubt that too many of them will risk their time and treasure to gamble on HP keeping their word.
                  Will Meg risk a third cry of "Wolf!" in the wilderness? Probably.

(
                  1st: PSG is dead. No, PSG is alive.
                  2nd: WebOS is dead. No, WebOS is alive.
                  )

Comment

Working...
                  X