X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

workareas an interesting post at KDE Brainstorm

Hi
    I don't know that I really "understand" what the fellow is trying to do, partly because he is translating from his native language, but the general idea i, I think, rather like the 3D chess game of Star Trek.

It wasn't really 3D it was three boards and one could move up and down.

The general idea, to me, I THINK is that he is suggesting that somehow the desktops be "stacked" kind of like in three spreadsheets being stacked so that there is a link that runs from A4 on one to B7 on two and F3 on three....

So that there are maybe different "things one is doing" but the common tools that do them connecting the stacks...don't know...

If anyone would care to read the two pages and comment, it might be something to think about.

http://forum.kde.org/brainstorm.php?...dea98076_page1

woodsmoke

Re: workareas an interesting post at KDE Brainstorm

I think your basic interpretation sounds right, woodsmoke. Although the author describes it as "a two dimensional structure that represents almost completely our workflow," I can see how the 3D approach -- slices through activities -- is something one can wrap one's brain around.

I've been trying to figure out how to integrate KDE Activities into my daily workflow. The first comment to that person's post includes this definition: "An activity is not only about tools but also about content. Applications, communications, files, whatever are related to one ore multiple activities."

I get the sense, from this and other bits I've read, that Activities make sense to people who manage the same pieces of content for lengthy time periods -- days, weeks, even months. If so, then I can see how going through the trouble of setting up Activities to simplify returning to that content over and over could be useful. I'm wondering, though, how many people work that way? Other than my email client and my SIP phone, I don't leave applications running for long periods. Even when I'm writing an article that might take three or four days, it seems just as fast to Kickoff | Recently Used | open file as it would to (1) create a new activity, (2) put my document there, and (3) continually mouse to the Activity Manager whenever I want to do something else.

Plus, I'm really hesitant to leave stuff open when I reach the end of a work day. If I haven't finished that article, I'm most certainly not going to leave the word processor window open all night. Save-n-close is such an ingrained habit for me that I honestly think I'd lose sleep if my work weren't safely recorded onto a few swaths of iron oxide.

Comment

Hi SR
      You bring up some good points which I did not see.

If he really is leaving apps open then that would be ok for probably peer to peer file sharing or being a server but I, personally, save and save to an external device after every change because of possible data loss.

Hmmm it is curious.... I have'nt been able to quite figure the idea out yet.

I wonder if whatever "it" is, if it would enhane work on something like a tablet\?

hmmm

woodsmoke

Comment

I tried using KDE's activities, but after a week or so, they all ended up looking the same. There are certain apps I use all the time, and they all end up in all the activities.

Maybe it's because I'm too disorganized, but I just don't find "activities" useful to my workflow at all. Interesting concept though...

Comment

When I was working I usually had Lotus Notes, FireFox, APEX, MSVSC++ and my source code files for all my projects open all the time. I usually switched between them by either clicking on their icon on the bar at the bottom of the screen, or using ALT+TAB. I had them all set to make automatic saves every 5 minutes. Earlier I used SVN as my version control but later switched to bzr when Canonical released it. They had integrations into Windows Explorer, which I also kept open. I would commit changes to source at least daily, if not more often, relying on reversion to restore from experimental excursions.

When I switched to Linux to do my developing I kept Kate, Kdbg, bzr, Thunderbird and FireFox open all the time. I did my compiling in the Kate terminal box, which I also kept open all the time. I still relied on the bar at the bottom or ALT+TAB to switch between apps. Since Clt+S usually saved a document it became habitual for me to Ctl+S every so often, especially after I made and important change to a document.

Now that I am retired my primary tools are FireFox, KMail, Dolphin, G+, and Minecraft.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
            Minecraft
            Heh.

You'd enjoy this maze of twisty passages, all alike.

More from Infocom downloads. You'll need to install the package frotz.

Comment

Sometime between the fall of 1977, when I bought my Apple []+ and 1980, when I quit teaching, I was given a 5 1/4" floppy disk with a text mode game on it that included commands identical to Zork, but I don't remember its name. Could have been Zork, but I don't remember going through tunnels or mazes. Seems to me it was rooms in a house or castle. Maybe a dungon?

Thanks for the info. How'd you come across that?

P.S. -- It's neat that they used QtCreator to compile it. I am going to try it.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                Thanks for the info. How'd you come across that?
                My super-secret method for finding everything, of course.

Comment

Working...
                X