X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grml - a distro for fans of Debian and text tools

http://grml.org/

Grml is a bootable live system (Live-CD) based on Debian. Grml includes a collection of GNU/Linux software especially for system administrators and users of texttools. Grml provides automatic hardware detection. You can use Grml (for example) as a rescue system, for analyzing systems/networks or as a working environment. It is not necessary to install anything to a harddisk; you don't even need a harddisk to run it. Due to on-the-fly decompression Grml includes about 2.1 GB of software and documentation on the CD. You don't have to pay anything to use Grml - it is available for free!
    Grml should find a similar audience to Knoppix and SystemRescueCD. It boots to a text mode menu with easy access to administrative programs and documentation. The default shell is zsh, which is a bit different from the bash we're used to. Under the hood it is mostly pure Debian with lots of convenience scripts.

I recently used Grml to help me recover a corrupted filesystem.

If are a desktop user who loves Kubuntu's KDE, then Grml may not be for you. If you are a technically oriented user who loves Debian and command line tools, then Grml may be for you.
    Welcome newbies!
    Verify the ISO
    Kubuntu's documentation

Re: Grml - a distro for fans of Debian and text tools

grml is the best thing in the whole universe!

Originally posted by Telengard
    hThe default shell is zsh, which is a bit different from the bash we're used to.
    It's better. I mean, it has more functions and stuff. The real kicker is the grml zsh configs, which I pull on any distro. Marvelous.

If are a desktop user who loves Kubuntu's KDE, then Grml may not be for you. If you are a technically oriented user who loves Debian and command line tools, then Grml may be for you.
    The full grml iso has both X, as well as five or six WMs. It just boots to tty, for speed mainly. I wouldn't equate it with Knoppix at this point, rather with System Rescue and Parted Magic. It doesn't have all the graphical tools these distros use, but it does have every conceivable text tool out there.

It also has the best installer I've ever seen.
    "The only way Kubuntu could be more user friendly would be if it came with a virtual copy of Snowhog and dibl"

Comment

Originally posted by de_koraco
      grml is the best thing in the whole universe!
      I don't know about that, but it does seem worth having around

It's better. I mean, it has more functions and stuff. The real kicker is the grml zsh configs, which I pull on any distro. Marvelous.
      So I've read. I didn't take the time to explore the shell much, but the difference in tab-completion is one example that really wow-ed me.

The full grml iso has both X, as well as five or six WMs.
      Right, but it doesn't include KDE or GNOME. In this community that's something worth mentioning. Well ... maybe I should have stated it more clearly in the OP :P
      Welcome newbies!
      Verify the ISO
      Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Nah, I was just adding the X thing. Type in a few commands in zsh, something long like

less /etc/fstab
        less /usr/share/doc/something
        less Downloads/foo

Then type in less and hit the up arrow. Awesome. There's the built in ftp client, foregounding and backgrounding jobs...
        "The only way Kubuntu could be more user friendly would be if it came with a virtual copy of Snowhog and dibl"

Comment

Originally posted by de_koraco
          less /etc/fstab
          less /usr/share/doc/something
          less Downloads/foo

Then type in less and hit the up arrow. Awesome.
          BASH complete command arguments in the same manner.

There's the built in ftp client
          So there is. zsh does indeed have a builltin FTP client. Well ... how unique :P

foregounding and backgrounding jobs...
          I'm pretty sure every shell since sh (the Bourne shell) can do that.
          Welcome newbies!
          Verify the ISO
          Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Yeah, I didn't mean this to turn into a zsh vs the others thread. If anyone is interested, grml's config is very nice and very easy to import into any given distro.

Comment

Working...
            X