X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HP to sell one more batch of $99 TouchPad tablets

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu
    It's a pretty basic programming concept to decrement the inventory database by X quantity when it/they are added to your cart, but, no, they didn't. I noticed a link on the side of the page that said something like "is my item protected once it's in my cart" but I didn't want to waste time looking at it. I now feel pretty confident that it says "NO!"
    Database transaction integrity is a tricky thing. I recall spending a considerable amount of time studying transaction failures in college and common design problems. Typically, if something borks in the middle of a transaction, how to detect what happened and roll back to a known good state? If HP's site first adds to your cart before subtracting from inventory, a common rookie programming mistake, what you describe is entirely possible.

I really wonder what's behind that "Is my item protected?" link. The cynic in me says someone reviewed their transaction processing, realized the rookie mistake, and figured it would be cheaper to hide a disclaimer than rewrite the code. I try, though, not to always be a cynic

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley
      It's a pretty basic programming concept to decrement the inventory database by X quantity when it/they are added to your cart, but, no, they didn't. I noticed a link on the side of the page that said something like "is my item protected once it's in my cart" but I didn't want to waste time looking at it. I now feel pretty confident that it says "NO!"
      Database transaction integrity is a tricky thing. I recall spending a considerable amount of time studying transaction failures in college and common design problems. Typically, if something borks in the middle of a transaction, how to detect what happened and roll back to a known good state? If HP's site first adds to your cart before subtracting from inventory, a common rookie programming mistake, what you describe is entirely possible.
      That's how it looks. Read on...

I really wonder what's behind that "Is my item protected?" link. The cynic in me says someone reviewed their transaction processing, realized the rookie mistake, and figured it would be cheaper to hide a disclaimer than rewrite the code. I try, though, not to always be a cynic
      You got me wondering, too. In order for it to appear I had to actually add something to my cart, but I was curious enough about it so I did. Here it is:

Are items in my cart reserved for me?

Fixed-price items in your cart will be available to other buyers until you pay for them. Many items on eBay are available in limited quantities, so an item may sell out before you checkout. However, items that you won either by auction or best offer are reserved for you.
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Many items on eBay are available in limited quantities, so an item may sell out before you checkout. However, items that you won either by auction or best offer are reserved for you.
        Ah, I didn't realize fire-sale redux was on eBay. While I haven't studied them extensively, what you quote above certainly shows their design priorities.

Comment

As I said earlier, this was a first for me. In all these years of ordering online, I've just never seen that phenomenon happen before. I don't like it.
          Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Working...
          X