This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP to sell one more batch of $99 TouchPad tablets

I don't know if anyone else is interested, but I just read this and got pretty excited. I missed out on the original fire sale because I'd just gotten out of the hospital and felt too crappy to pursue it. But I'm going to take a stab at grabbing one this time.

For those too lazy to read the article, here's the pertinent info:

According to a company memo leaked to the websites TechCrunch and SlickDeals, HP is planning to release an unspecified number of TouchPads to the HP EBay store at the sub-$100 price.

The TouchPads that will reportedly hit EBay will all be refurbished units and they'll hit the online retail and auction website at 6 p.m. Dec. 11. A TouchPad with 16 gigabytes of built-in storage will sell for $99, and those with 32 gigabytes of storage will be available at $149, the reports said.

HP will also be selling "an optional three-piece accessory bundle with a case, charging dock and wireless keyboard for $79.

TouchPads will be limited to two per EBay user "sold on a first come, first served basis," the reports said.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Re: HP to sell one more batch of $99 TouchPad tablets

It appears that the ROM cookers over at XDA have had some success porting Android, so maybe it'll be worth the chase, dunno...

Comment

Honestly, I figure that for 100 or 150 bucks, it's worth the gamble. If its built-in WebOS is usable, I may just stick with that. And/or if I feel like experimenting, I will. But again, at the price it's just too good to pass up, so I hope I get one.
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

I'm gonna try for one
        woodsmoke

Comment

refurbished units...16 gigabytes of built-in storage will sell for $99, and those with 32 gigabytes of storage will be available at $149... 6 p.m. Dec. 11
          Note: now they're pawning off refurbs at the same prices as the original fire sale. Yes, I know, fire sale prices, but still. Also: 6:00 PM Central Time (according to TechCrunch).

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu
          it's worth the gamble...it's just too good to pass up, so I hope I get one
          Originally posted by woodsmoke
          I'm gonna try for one
          Oh god. Not again. Stampede!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley
            refurbished units...16 gigabytes of built-in storage will sell for $99, and those with 32 gigabytes of storage will be available at $149... 6 p.m. Dec. 11
            Note: now they're pawning off refurbs at the same prices as the original fire sale. Yes, I know, fire sale prices, but still. Also: 6:00 PM Central Time (according to TechCrunch).
            Yeah, I know they're refurbished--and I was surprised that they're going to sell for the same price as the new ones did last summer--but I still think it's a good deal.

Thanks for clarifying the time zone. I hadn't realized [because I didn't read my own links!] that it was central time. So that's 4:00pm here...I'll be ready.

Comment

I just posted this in another thread, but thought it was worth repeating here, as HP *is* going to continue manufacturing hardware using its WebOS, including tablets:

I just read this, HP will make its WebOS software available to open-source community, and it includes this snippet:

Hewlett-Packard said it will make its WebOS software available to the open-source community and Chief Executive Meg Whitman said in two separate interviews that there are plans to create new WebOS hardware -- including tablets.
              So, anyone considering buying a TouchPad when it goes on its fire sale this week, but were put off by the idea of buying a soon-to-be obsolete OS, think again.

Comment

In other news...

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

New Calculators To Land In Pocket Protectors Everywhere

Palo Alto -- 19 January 2038 -- In its 42nd stunning reversal this century, Hewlett-Packard (NYSE: HPQDELIBM) announced today that it will resume manufacturing its legendary HP-10C line of pocket calculators with new features and models.

The revived and refreshed line is equipped with the innovative Portuguese Reverse Ohio Notation engine, a format immediately familiar to those schooled in the "new new new new new math" of the late 2030s. No actual innate mathematical skills are necessary for users to maximize their full calculatory potential, because all PRON expressions end up in the same place anyways. Especially noteworthy is the addition of the HP-19cm, a new model with an extra long buffer for those special equations that make other devices whither and flop.

Contact your nearest TarBestWallGetBuyMart for availability.

###

Comment

In other news...

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

New Calculators To Land In Pocket Protectors Everywhere

Palo Alto -- 19 January 2038 -- In its 42nd stunning reversal this century, Hewlett-Packard (NYSE: HPQDELIBM) announced today that it will resume manufacturing its legendary HP-10C line of pocket calculators with new features and models.

The revived and refreshed line is equipped with the innovative Portuguese Reverse Ohio Notation engine, a format immediately familiar to those schooled in the "new new new new new math" of the late 2030s. No actual innate mathematical skills are necessary for users to maximize their full calculatory potential, because all PRON expressions end up in the same place anyways. Especially noteworthy is the addition of the HP-19cm, a new model with an extra long buffer for those special equations that make other devices whither and flop.

Contact your nearest TarBestWallGetBuyMart for availability.

###
                  Good one! RPN always seemed completely illogical to me (and still does), but PRON might just hit the spot.

Comment

One side note about HP.... the key phrase is "refurbished". HP hasn't resumed manufacture of the tablet, they are just reselling the ones they've sold already and that were returned by dissatisfied users for one reason or another. Likely suspect reasons: poor quality of hardware, lack of apps, buyer's remorse....

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Correct, GG, but as the quote from Whitman indicates, HP is going to produce new products, including tablets, with its WebOS.

I've vacillated back and forth so much I've made myself dizzy, but I THINK I'm going to try to grab one of the [refurbished] TouchPads tomorrow. And then...when the new sub-$100 Android tablet comes out next year, I think I'll grab one of those, too.

Comment

Correct, GG, but as the quote from Whitman indicates, HP is going to produce new products, including tablets, with its WebOS.
                        Wolf! Wolf! Wolf!

Comment

Well, I was there before 4:00pm and kept refreshing until the $99/$149 prices appeared. I IMMEDIATELY attempted to buy one of the $149 units. I sat and watched endlessly spinning modals, stopping and trying again...and again... I got all excited when I noticed that one of the units was in my cart, so I tried to checkout...and it was already no longer available. All this within 20 minutes or so of the items first appearing at the sale price.

Sooooo...I guess I'll anxiously await next year's release of the sub-$100 Android tablet.

Comment

I got all excited when I noticed that one of the units was in my cart, so I tried to checkout...and it was already no longer available.
                            First they tease you, then they insult you. Not a good way to run a store. They should decrement the inventory database first and verifiy that part of the transaction before placing it in your cart. One would think this is how all e-commerce works, but no. Erwin Computers and a couple other places pulled similar stunts last time.

Comment

I got all excited when I noticed that one of the units was in my cart, so I tried to checkout...and it was already no longer available.
                              First they tease you, then they insult you. Not a good way to run a store. They should decrement the inventory database first and verifiy that part of the transaction before placing it in your cart. One would think this is how all e-commerce works, but no. Erwin Computers and a couple other places pulled similar stunts last time.
                              This was the first time I've ever had that happen, on any site. And I've never seen eBay running as slowly as it did today. I was actually surprised when I attempted to check out and it said "Item not available"--in my cart. Come on. It's a pretty basic programming concept to decrement the inventory database by X quantity when it/they are added to your cart, but, no, they didn't. I noticed a link on the side of the page that said something like "is my item protected once it's in my cart" but I didn't want to waste time looking at it. I now feel pretty confident that it says "NO!"

Comment

Working...
                              X