X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Malware now specifically targeting Android OS

Originally posted by SteveRiley
    Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu
    Well, I gave it some thought--and came up empty!
    This much is to be expected. :P
    Yes, indeed. You know, I didn't earn my title of having bigger balls than most men by accident.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu
      Great. After all these years of not worrying about crap like that [on my computers], now I have to worry about my phone?

BTW, the first line of the actual article pissed me off:

Android and iOS fanboys may bicker endlessly over which operating mobile system is better
      > I love bickering about how my Android phone is better than any other OS.
      Yeah, I am actually surprised. Applications run in a Dalvik VM (virtual machine)... I would have thought Google would have made this a bit more difficult to take advantage of. In all fairness though, the user DOES have to install applications (in most cases), so this issue exists for ALL operating systems --> error between keyboard and user.

But anyways, we'll see how the situation develops. I'm sure Google is doing something about it; hopefully it won't make the development environment overly restricted like Apple's.

Comment

Originally posted by texaswriter
        Yeah, I am actually surprised. Applications run in a Dalvik VM (virtual machine)... I would have thought Google would have made this a bit more difficult to take advantage of. In all fairness though, the user DOES have to install applications (in most cases), so this issue exists for ALL operating systems --> error between keyboard and user.
        Dalvik is designed to maximize shared memory and doesn't provide any kind of security boundary. Application permissions are based on PIDs and GIDs assigned when an application is installed. The kernel enforces these permissions; there's no mechanism to dynamically reassign them and Dalvik cannot offer runtime security checking.

More info for the curious.

Comment

Working...
        X