Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgraded Netbook from 10.10 to 11.10 in one night, and everything works!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgraded Netbook from 10.10 to 11.10 in one night, and everything works!

This is about my wife's netbook and how I upgraded it from 10.10 to 11.10 in one night.

My wife has a HP Mini netbook (exact model escapes me at the moment). It's a near identical to the one I have.

On my netbook I was happily running 10.10, and when 11.04 came out, upgrading to it caused the wireless card (broadcomm) to lock up. Finally I just ordered a new wife card, flashed a new BIOS and pressed on.

But my wife wasn't interested in upgrading, so I left it alone.

The computer sat mostly unused because the mouse touchpad was incredibly sensitive, to the point where we had to plug in an external mouse just to use it.

This weekend my wife decided to give the netbook to my our daughter in college, so I was asked to put Windows 7 back on it.

I decided this would be a good time to let it upgrade itself and see if the problems I ran into were taken care of.

After letting loose the upgrade to 11.04, I discovered that everything worked! No problems whatsoever with the wifi, and the mouse touchpad was back to normal.

I've come this far, so I just let it upgrade itself to 11.10, and again I was pleased to discover that everything worked!

I know you're not “supposed” to go the upgrade path I did, but I'm amazed that everything worked.

The daughter is interested in checking out 11.10 since she can now use the touchpad mouse, so plans on installing Win7 have been scrapped.

So kudos to the Kubuntu team!

Re: Upgraded Netbook from 10.10 to 11.10 in one night, and everything works!

Originally posted by ScottyK
    I know you're not “supposed” to go the upgrade path I did, but I'm amazed that everything worked.
    As long as one isn't running a "to old" version, then this approach is actually supposed to be the way one would opt for - if one didn't just want to 'start fresh'. What's important is the state of the existing version before you begin, ensuring that the existing version is fully dist-upgraded before you upgrade to the next version.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Bravo!
      I am sure that the devs of Kubuntu GREATLY appreciate what you just posted, but because of modesty, won't say anything.

woodsmoke

Comment

This is about my wife's netbook and how I upgraded it
        Finally I just ordered a new wife card
        Wait. Did you upgrade, or did you replace? (bold added for necessary emphasis)

Comment

I think he means wifi card

Thumbs up from me too, judging from your testimony it seems that the hardware support evolved from one distro to another

Comment

"wife card", just caught that one. That's what happens after a very long day! I think she would be annoyed if I traded her in for another one.

I just wanted to post this to give the developers an "atta boy". Too many times I read on these forums people complaining that something doesn't work. Makes me wonder what kind of hardware these people are running. For the most part my experience has been very positive, and the few bumps I've run into are usually human error or lack of knowledge in how something works.

Comment

Working...
            X