X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a new harddrive? Bad news.

http://it.tmcnet.com/topics/it/artic...r-flooding.htm

Re: Need a new harddrive? Bad news.

Newegg's had a one per customer limit for a couple weeks now.

edit: It looks like they've jacked up the price of their hard drives too.
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

Comment

Thanks HTI! Good move!:

Tuesday, 08 Mar 2011

Cook said rumors had been swirling for weeks that another round of layoffs was coming, fed in part by the company's opening of a new assembly plant in Thailand.

Jill Jacobson, an industrial engineer, tells WCCO-AM the layoffs will be hard on the community.

"This is going to be extremely painful, I think, because of the multiple layoffs; it's reduced a lot of jobs in the area," she said.

Hutchinson Technology Chief Executive Office Wayne Fortun acknowledged as much Tuesday, but said the changes were needed to lower the company's operating costs. Progress at the new plant in Thailand was making it possible to move more manufacturing there, he said.

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/n...ire-mar-8-2011

(They only make HDD parts, not complete units, so the move to Thailand made sense, but I can still be crabby about it since it hurt my community. No doubt other communities... Rochester with WD, etc. had the same moves to Thailand the last decade.)

Comment

Welll......
        I was standing on the docks yestiddy.....the usual two guys were arguing about which is more important.... nature or nuture.....

and whilst looking out over the Silent Sea.... a fellow sidled up to handrail and mentioned that the beltways were getting kind of thin and that maybe I should be visiting with the GregMan.

As folks at the forum may remember, the JohnnieMan who passed on last year.... was instrumental in the old woodsmoker's ability to harvest stuff from the beltways and assemble it, along with a Linux distro, and pass the whole morass on to somebody who needed it, like a student at the college...

Anyway....the Gregman.... he still has a shop that is somewhat down the goldcoast from where all of us old 'nux guys gather......

and he said, that, projecting back about 243 years....that the bid-short that you folks are seeing is beginning to appear on the beltways....

fortunately, the JohnnieMan,

bless his old fusible metal alloy heart..... talked the old woodsmoker into actually going DOWN ONTO THE DEEP BELTS..... and trading some of my teaching creds for a bunch of the small IDEs, the Maxtors and Caviars were especially sweet....

I mean think about it.....holding a warm maxtor in one's hand.... the casing is so....just....so right....the pattern of the green board....it is so elegant....

not to put down the Caviars...I mean....whoever was so inspired to place the cooling platen where he, or she did, was.....welll the best word is inspired....

to have lasted over TWO CENTURIES....I mean....I just wish I knew his or her name so I could reference it in my lectures.... but.. water drifting in the Silent Sea...

so that the old woodsmoker could maybe give a term to ......

welll.......the woman with the kitten heels...... the old Chinee was soooooo enamoured of her......

I mean.....now....THERE....was a woman....

when she sipped that coffee....I knew that whatever she wanted......

woodsmoker....

Comment

Jeez, Woodsmoking, with a colorful post such as yours here, it's no wonder no one (in his right mind) gives a sh*'n-hoot about my Schadenfreude topic! Heck, I EVEN posted it in the Social forum! Guess I better go back to sticking with GRUB, 'cept the GRUB 2 is kind of boring if you're not a (younger) grub-dev sort. Now What?!
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
          X