Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, I broke my phone...anyone familiar with repair places?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, I broke my phone...anyone familiar with repair places?

It's too embarrassing to say HOW I did it, so just suffice to say that I cracked the glass on my Motorola Bravo smartphone. Since it's so new, I'm not eligible for a discounted upgrade via AT&T--and won't be for almost a year. After quite a bit of looking around online I've decided that having it repaired is the most practical, and least expensive (by several hundred dollars), solution. But I have no experience with, or even any word of mouth knowledge of, any companies that repair phones.

Just to clarify, the phone itself is fine, it's just its glass (the touchscreen) that's cracked.

Does anyone have personal experience with a company that repairs smartphones? Or have you heard anything, either good or bad, about such a company? I'm a bit uneasy with the idea of sending my phone off to some company I've never heard of before, you know?

In case you're wondering, I thought about buying replacement parts and fixing it myself, but after a bit of poking around online I decided that wasn't for me as it requires a STEADY hand and, I imagine, really good eyesight. My right hand developed a tremor after I broke my wrist and it's only a problem when doing fine-muscle stuff--like trying to use tiny tools to fix a smartphone! And after brain surgery my eyesight went down the toilet. So, yeah, DIY-ing it isn't the best choice for this.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Re: So, I broke my phone...anyone familiar with repair places?

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu
    It's too embarrassing to say HOW I did it, so just suffice to say that I cracked the glass on my Motorola Bravo smartphone.
    - - -
    went down the toilet
    Oh man, don't tease us like that!

Too bad you aren't in Hong Kong, which has plenty of little hole-in-the-wall-over-the-subway-station electronics repair shops...

Jet City Device Repair right here in Seattle gets good reviews. Contact them for a quote.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley
      It's too embarrassing to say HOW I did it, so just suffice to say that I cracked the glass on my Motorola Bravo smartphone.
      Oh man, don't tease us like that!
      You really want to know?! Okay, here's the thing... There's this little oval-shaped hole in the touchscreen's cover (which I now know to be glass). I THOUGHT it was a screen protector I had put on the phone when I first got it back in January...and, inexplicably, I decided to take it off. So I stuck the tip of my mechanical pencil into the hole and tried to pry it off...and the glass split into what looks like a big spider web! Talk about feeling like a #@!^*$( idiot... *sigh*

Jet City Device Repair right here in Seattle gets good reviews. Contact them for a quote.
      Thanks. I just e-mailed them because my phone isn't in their list, so we'll see what they say.
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Wow, my imagination went in a totally different direction...

...several actually

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
          Wow, my imagination went in a totally different direction...

...several actually
          Why am I not surprised?!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley
            I heard back from Jet City--unfortunately, they don't repair the Motorola Bravo. I've replied asking if they can recommend a good company that does, so we'll see...

Comment

I heard back from Jet City--unfortunately, they don't repair the Motorola Bravo. I've replied asking if they can recommend a good company that does, so we'll see...
              So sorry. Hope you can find someone to save your phone.

Why am I not surprised?!
              I see you're getting to know our fine oshunluvr very well!

Comment

Well, I did something I hadn't planned to do...at all...I bought a new phone. I decided to go with the Motorola Atrix. I bought one that's unlocked, and the GSM SIM card from my Bravo should work just fine in it. I guess I'll use my Bravo, complete with its cracked glass, as an expensive paperweight!

Comment

I fear my reputation has preceded me... 8)

Please Read Me

Comment

So I stuck the tip of my mechanical pencil into the hole
                    I guess I'll use my Bravo, complete with its cracked glass, as an expensive paperweight!
                    Or you could use it as a pencil sharpener

Comment

lol

Please Read Me

Comment

Steve did you get an android phone recently, or is my old memory deceiving me? I'm looking hard at the Samsung Nexus S.

Comment

New HTC Sensation owner here - LOVE it. The new HTC Sense interface is a real treat. 7 "desktops" and looks of widgets.

Battery life is the only constant issue, but I rooted it and removed some bloatware (T-Mobile) and then put power widgets on a screen so I can easily turn off the GPS and WiFi when not in actual use. The net result is all day usage with more than %50 battery at the end of the business day. This is plenty for me.

Anybody want to buy a couple well used but fully functional Blackberry Tours? Unlocked, of course...

Please Read Me

Comment

7 "desktops" and looks of widgets.

My 4 KDE desktops keep me spinning -- I don't think I could handle more than that!

Comment

New HTC Sensation owner here - LOVE it.
                              Yikes, that thing is $550!

However I see there's a big discount for signing a contract: http://www.cincinnatibell.com/wirele...ufacturer/htc/

But it looks a bit much for my needs -- I think the Nexus S is probably very sufficient, and then some. It costs $100 with a contract: http://www.cincinnatibell.com/wirele...turer/samsung/

Comment

Working...
                              X