This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

article on possible demise of dropbox

This is an interesting article, I wonder what folks think about it in terms of UbuntuOne?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidcou...pbox-will-die/

woodsmoke

Re: article on possible demise of dropbox

My take is that Dropbox allowed themselves to get marginalized to feature status because they've steadfastly refused to innovate:
    • their free tier is only 2 GB, whereas most other online services offer more
    • syncing only one folder rather than a full hierarchy
    • delayed and incomplete API
    • repeated instances of reported security problems
    • until recently, unclear communications that having them manage your encryption key is essentially equivalent to having no encryption at all

SugarSync and Box.net, by offering far greater capabilities, are less of a target for OS absorption. Now if only SugarSync would get a Linux client out the friggin' door, I'd be one happy syncer.

Comment

Hi Steve,
      Thanks for you great reply but I notice, by it's absence, that you eschewed the mention of UbuntuOne.

woodsmoke

Comment

That's purely because I'm unfamiliar with it. Looks like I have a little edumakshion to undertake.

Comment

well, considering that it is close to all Hallow's even don't get tooooo close to the undertaker!

woodskeerdofundertakerssmoke

Comment

The prognosis is not good.

It's times like this when I wish I could trade some of my security/privacy/analysis/policy-wonkishness for good solid coding skills...

Comment

Thanks for the interesting info SteveRiley.

woodsmoke

Comment

I like dropbox, but I just 50GB Free for life with Box.net (sign up for a new account on iOS)

I glanced at UbuntuOne, but don't want to deal with no KDE client

I'm thinking about 100GB of SpiderOak to backup my next laptop...
                Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Working...
                X