This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Android OS has a problem in phone names and numbers or "exchange" does

I had this happen first with an original HTC android AT&T phone.

I JUST THIS LAST HOUR had the same problem with a Verizon Android phone.

The common denominator is the Android system.

In both cases, for some reason, there was no "trigger" that I can perceive.

A "phone number" was reassigned another name that was already in the contacts list.

In other words, when I went to "john" I saw that there were two numbers, both the same for "john" and "bob"

However, if one goes to "bob" one sees that he does, indeed, have a "different number".

This is not an "area code" thing... in other words it is not that the "local" numbers are the same, and that the area codes are different it is that the WHOLE NUMBER is different.

When I talked about this with AT&T they said, "there were problems with a certain exchange" and that the number was in that exchange.

Ok.....this is Verizon....does that mean that Verizon has the SAME problem with a number in the SAME exchange?

So....now it is down to two situations.

a) there is a problem with the physical "exchange" for the city and it messes up BOTH phone systems....
    b) there is a problem with "Android" and that it messes up numbers.....

The Verizon representative says that.....duuuuuhhhh He had NO CLUE....

so.....what are people stuck with?

I don't know...

if anyone has a similar experience and wishes to comment then maybe the "burden" can be shifted from "Android" to "the exchange" but ....dunno...;.

comments?

woodsmoke

Re: The Android OS has a problem in phone names and numbers or "exchange" does

woodsmoke, would you mind defining "exchange" for me? I presume you mean the NXX portion of a full NPA-NXX-XXXX phone number, correct? The term "telephone exchange" has somewhat fallen out of use, so I want to be sure I understand you correctly. An NPA-NXX no longer has any association to a particular geography.

The cellular telephone switching system can't reprogram your contacts list. I'm wondering if you've uncovered a bug somewhere. I've not encountered anything like what you're describing. Can you force the situation to repeat itself with completely new and fake entries?

Comment

Working...
    X