X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project Runway...Linux elites really don't "get it"

This is a "big picture" post.

There are BELOW THE SURFACE....two "attitudes" in "Linux" development:

a) SCREW THE USER...I am going to do what I want because they can't do it anyway and depend on me to supply them with "Linux" so that they can froth at the mouth about Microsoft and feel good....but ....reaally......"they"....are....just "replaceable units".

The above is the "cathedral".

b) We really DO need to get "Linux" to where it can go "mainstream"....if we don't have "users" then we are just "crying in the wilderness".....

The above is the "bazaar"....

Even though the guy who wrote the book:

Cathedral and Bazaar.....did not know that he

HAD THE EAR OF THE ELITES...... he "did this" and the "bazaar" helped him do it....

WRONG.......

since HE.....

had "the ear" of a LOT OF PEOPLE.....

THEY BOUGHT IN TO WHAT HE WANTED....

and he got to write a book.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cat...and_the_Bazaar

Anyone who is even SOMEwhat familiar with my history knows that I GAVE AWAY....multiple copies of this book....

but.....if one is not a BIGGIE..."in Linux" then NOBODY WILL GIVE YOU EVEN A SECOND LOOK.....

soooooo

THE REAL SITUATION....

goes back to the people who CAST THEIR SCORN ON

YOU.........

if you can't code....

then you are a "replaceable unit".....

and then....

Linux is the equivalent of Microshaft....

except.....

the "currency" of Microshaft...is MONEY....

the "currency" of Linux...is the "patting on the shoulder" of somebody in an obscure IRC that NOBODY ELSE EVEN KNOWS about....

so then....

just WHO....

is ...."elitest"?

what is....Project Runway?

Project Runway is the REAL implementation of "The Cathedral and the Bazaar".....

Project Runway.....really DOES.....think that....

YOU......

the average Linux user.....

have worth

wooddefinitelynotintheclubsmoke

Re: Project Runway...Linux elites really don't "get it"

English lacks the word schadenfreude, a German word that describes deriving pleasure from someone else's pain. But not having a word for it doesn't mean you don't see plenty of it everywhere you look. People create cathedrals, to follow your analogy, and then place themselves in positions where they can intentionally find other people upon whom they heap scorn. These other people, usually, are milling about the bazaar, just trying to have fun or seek answers or look for someone who'll listen to their story.

Um, wait, I think I just wrote what you wrote, heh...

The guy who writes the Linux Hater's Blog certainly erected his own cathedral. Check out the size of his bazaar -- thousands of commenters. And he's proud that he never replies to any of them. I can't imagine what it must be like to dedicate all that time to so much negative expression.

Here's another first class example of the cathedral vs. his bazaar (actually saw it linked in Hater's blog). Cripe, Firefox, you're not exactly showing some community love there. Eventually that particular priest got defrocked, fortunately.

woodsmoke, one question for ya. What is Project Runway? Even Googling for "project runway linux" only showed page after page of stuff about some fashion design reality show. I don't think that's what you're writing about...?

Comment

lol
      great post and interesting links.

No there is no project runway Linux, it is just project runway, which is an attempt to get "high fashion" to be generated here in the U.S. and not just in France.

However......there is a pretty high fashion Linux in the form of....

Hannah Montana Linux! lol

http://hannahmontana.sourceforge.net/Site/Home.html

There is also a new "fluffy" linux... pink and everything...with unicorns even!

http://techie-buzz.com/foss/fluffy-l...d-unicorn.html
      woodsmoke

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley
        English lacks the word schadenfreude, a German word that describes deriving pleasure from someone else's pain.
        sadist?
        FKA: tanderson

Comment

Almost, but not exactly the same.

Sadist: someone who obtains pleasure from inflicting pain on others.
          Schadenfreude: pleasure derived from the misfortunes of others.

Because a sadist is actively inflicting pain, then all sadists by definition experience shadenfreude. The inverse doesn't hold: some people may simply enjoy watching others in pain without actively inflicting that pain.

Comment

Working...
          X