This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATI Catalyst Control Center and Drivers

I thought I would just report what I have learned. I managed to get a response out of ATI Linux Development Team. They are still writing their Linux drivers for the Gnome GUI so that is why the Catalyst Control Center does not work in KDE. I have mentioned to them that the Gnome GUI is in a Legacy mode with Ubuntu but I doubt they will pay that message much attention.

I have decided to install Ubuntu X86_64 on a separate primary partition on my system to see if in fact the Ubuntu supplied and tested update will work there. I have plans to get a second monitor next spring so I will hopefully find one that handles 1600 X 1200 resolution.

I wish it was ten years from now and I knew a little about writing code, I'm sure there is a way to 'patch' the link in KDE so it will work but at this time that is way over my knowledge level.

I do thank you all for at least viewing the thread and I will of course post anything I learn/ get to work in the near and distant future.
    Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3: ATI Fire-Pro V4800; Phenom II X4 970 3.5 Ghz; G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 4 x 4GB; WD Caviar Black 1.5 TB;CM 690 case w/9 fans and 6-switch rheobus plus 2 optical drives [ROM & RW]

Re: ATI Catalyst Control Center and Drivers

To update this issue; yes the drivers and the Catalyst Center work fine in Gnome.
    I am able to utilize those setting controls with no problem.
    Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3: ATI Fire-Pro V4800; Phenom II X4 970 3.5 Ghz; G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 4 x 4GB; WD Caviar Black 1.5 TB;CM 690 case w/9 fans and 6-switch rheobus plus 2 optical drives [ROM & RW]

Comment

Catalyst control center works fine in KDE. idk what your talking about.

open krunner(alt+f2) and type in
      [code=run in krunner]kdesudo amdcccle[/code]

if the properitary driver is installed then the catalyst control center should come up. not sure why you keep insisting it doesn't work in kde.

let me clarify a bit for you the "Gnome GUI" as you put it . is not the Gnome at all, what they mean is we use GTK(gnome is based on gtk) to make our gui. not Qt (what kde is based on) you can run gtk programs in kde, programs like firefox, GIMP, and many others are writting using the GTK to make the gui elements.
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48
        Catalyst control center works fine in KDE. idk what your talking about.

open krunner(alt+f2) and type in
        [code=run in krunner]kdesudo amdcccle[/code]

if the properitary driver is installed then the catalyst control center should come up. not sure why you keep insisting it doesn't work in kde.

let me clarify a bit for you the "Gnome GUI" as you put it . is not the Gnome at all, what they mean is we use GTK(gnome is based on gtk) to make our gui. not Qt (what kde is based on) you can run gtk programs in kde, programs like firefox, GIMP, and many others are writting using the GTK to make the gui elements.
        I think I forgot to mention I am using an old CRT monitor; When I used the 'Update Drivers' in Kubuntu I could not access the Catalyst Control Centre to change the resolution so therefore 'it did not work'.

I know most people have LCD and wide-screen LCD; I also know that my old Samsung CRT [SyncMaster 955DF] is better for CAD than most LCD's. But we are at a time where the market is driving the resolution and the gamers are driving the market. dpi in my Samsung is better than any LCD but it requires a 70-75 hertz refresh and the Ubuntu Driver only gives a 60 hertz so you tell me; it is not really Gnome or Unity or KDE; it is AMD/ATI not willing to grow with Linux because that would mean open source not Proprietary!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope to learn more in the next few months so I can take advantage of other open source opportunities.

Comment

Working...
        X