This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gouda on a Red Truck and a Sherlock Holmes demise of cheese snobbery

The intellectual elites of Linuxdom can pass by this post.

First it was the passing of the wine snobbery, then the coffee snobbery(as so well recounted in multiple Frasier episodes! ) and now...sadly......the cheese snobbery of the intellectual elite....is falling the likes of.....

yeeeccchhhhh......eewwww....."regular people"...!!

Whilst perusing the wine selection at what is acknowledged, finally, as the largest and most eclectic wine selection in the world.... the steward, rather jokingly, suggested a really off the wall selection named....Red Truck....

He said.... think "Old Fart".... which was an experiment in whether old vines could produce drinkable wine....

So..I said ok and broke a bill and plopped it into the back seat of the car....after all..... anything named Red Truck probably does not need to be kept within a half degree Celsius of it's "proper" temperature!

I next stopped at ....ewww.... I know....the intellectual elites would only BELCH at the thought.... a "super market" to get some staples..... not not "staples".... staples as in food....and in the centre kiosk there was selection of cheeses...

I espied ..... 1000 day old Gouda.

And, as a lark, purchased same.

The days of the snobbists are indeed numbered. Shipped from Europe... to the U.S. and sold in a .......

ewwwwww "super market"....all pristine, clean, happy people, bright lights....ewww

not..... a small......three hundred year old shoppe in Europe fronting on a "Vd" cobblestone Roman Era thoroughfare with sewage running through it....

Just where I....would like to shop!!!

In this pristine, clean, sanitary.... super market was 1000 day Gouda....

And I have spent a delicious evening supping Red Truck.....which is going marvellously with the Gouda....and reading "The Execution of Sherlock Holmes"....a pastiche of some small worth.

But... I would really recommend anybody who happens across a "1000 day old Gouda" in their politically incorrect super market......to snap it up and then bite into its...snappy smoky goodness!!

woodsmoke

Re: Gouda on a Red Truck and a Sherlock Holmes demise of cheese snobbery

IF people knew how easy it was to make wine they'd do it at home with Concord grapes from their grocer.

Wine reaches 28 proof (14% ETOH) before the alcohol kills the yeast. The "revenooers" allow 200 gallons of home brew per family, or 100 gallons per person, per year, without a federal license. That's 1 quarts of Wine a day per person for a family of two. If you drink that much you are an alcoholic.

IMO, Wine quality is like beauty... it's in the eye of the taster (or beholder). I HATE Beer, which is why I call it "Panther P***". I HATE red wine, like Mogen David's, but I like an occasional glass of White wine. In a year I might drink three or four, one at each of the major holidays.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Eeeuuuuwwweee, concord grapes make nasty red wine (like Mogen David, yuck)

Those grapes are for jelly only! There is a winery in southern Missouri (pronouced Miz-Ur-Ah) that does make wine from Concord and other "Jelly" grapes but it's not drinkable by anyone with taste buds - at least not ones that have ever actually tasted real red wine...blech :P

As far aged Gouda, it is indeed a wonderful delicacy! Smokey and dry - nothing like it is in it young state. Smoke, if you're a fan of goat cheese, look for "Humboldt Fog." I used to sell both in my Wine Bar.

I will say - for the record - that generally European cheeses are far superior to American because we force cheese makers to use pasteurized milk and thus kill most of the flavor (and nutrients) and European countries don't (most anyway).

Unfortunately, Americans are too stupid to be allowed to have choices when we buy things like milk

Please Read Me

Comment

concord grapes make nasty red wine
        Na, not after you run it through a filter with a layer of activated charcoal. Takes out all the bitter stuff.

A lot of foul tastes in Wine come from Oxygen oxidizing the ETOH to Ethyl Aldehyde and to Ethanoic acid (a.k.a vinegar), if it isn't kept isolated from the air with a layer of CO2. Things really get stinky when the alcohol, aldehyde and acid react to form esters and ketones.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
          There is a winery in southern Missouri (pronouced Miz-Ur-Ah) that does make wine from Concord and other "Jelly" grapes but it's not drinkable by anyone with taste buds - at least not ones that have ever actually tasted real red wine...blech :P
          There is a winery at St. James City, along I-44 -- not sure if that is the one you were thinking of (I think there are multiple wineries in that area of Missouri). Their best red is from a grape called Norton:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norton_(grape)

I stopped there one year on a way to visiting relatives in Kansas, and brought home a few bottles of their Norton wine. It actually is not bad stuff.

I have had a hobby of making wine for years, although I'm seriously considering skipping it this year. Carrying a 6 gal. carboy from the garage to the basement is starting to feel more like work than fun. :P A produce distributor located at the airport at Columbus, Ohio contracts for fresh-pressed California varieties, and then trucks the juice in on reefer semis in late September/early October, and (if you're on his mailing list) you can order it and pick it up when it arrives. I've made cabernet sauvignon, merlot, riesling, pinot noir, zifandel, white zin, etc.

But I still have all that I made last year, plus some from the year before, and I just don't think I want to strap on that work this fall. Funny -- now I'm retired, and I actually have the time to do it, and I'm not as motivated as I was when I had to take a day off work and make the mad dash over to Columbus and pick it up. Funny how that works ...

p.s. Actually, with wine (like many things) it's all relative -- my father told me about life on a troopship going from New Jersey to the China-Burma-India theater of WW II. He said he went farther in the vertical dimension that he did in the horizontal one. Out of boredom, perhaps, they stole raisins from the galley, and a bit of sugar, and made wine. He said no wine was ever appreciated and savored more than that hootch.

Comment

Well, I am just FLABBERGASTED by the replies..... what a cornucopia of talents inhabit the forums Kubuntu!!!

As to the suggestions about cheese and wine, consider them to be done deals in the near future!!!

lol

And Oshunluver....you had a wine bar!!!

amazing
            woodsmoke

Comment

We had a wine "habit" that grew into a bar - for about 5 years or so. The wife (see left!) got tired of my dinner-time absence, so I am now retired twice. 8)

On my third career...

Please Read Me

Comment

They do say that active people make better lovers! lol

And you two certainly look HAPPY!!! lol

woodsmoke

Comment

We had a wine "habit" that grew into a bar - for about 5 years or so. The wife (see left!) got tired of my dinner-time absence, so I am now retired twice. 8)
                  Judging by that photo your decision was a no-brainer!!!

Comment

lol
                    woodsmoke

Comment

You know what they say... When Mom's unhappy, everyone's unhappy...

Besides, I'd much rather share a glass or two with her than anyone else. Almost all of our travelling over that last 10 years has centered around wine. A couple of family trips are scattered among that calendar but we do a lot of "Mom and Dad" weekenders to wine country.

In our opinion, wine ranks as one of the top five of "Life's Greatest Pleasures"

Please Read Me

Comment

In our opinion, wine ranks as one of the top five of "Life's Greatest Pleasures"
                        I'll second that motion.

Comment

I made some home made wine once many years ago. It seems to me the recipe I had said, "Start with a clean 2 x 4".

GreyGeek is right about the necessity of protecting the brew from exposure to O2. This from my many years of making some very good home brew beer. A fermentation lock is absolutely necessary.

Comment

A very interesing article on microbreweries and mega-beer in the U.S.

Such information...maybe the forum should have a microbrewery or vineyard in the back!

I, personallly, have always gotten an "acid stomach" after drinking Budweiser.

The "best beer" that I have consumed was the old Hanley, defunct for many decades, from a steel can! So much for beer for moi!

But this is a very interesting article on many levels.

wooddon'tlikebeechwoodagingsmoke

http://blog.seattlepi.com/thepourfoo...-im-not-alone/

Comment

Budweiser is made from inferior ingredients. Read the label. Beer is best made from malted barley and hops.

Comment

Working...
                              X