This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unity Gnome Win 8 and ARM

One of the "things" about Unity Gnome etc. to me was, and still is, that they are trying to somehow get ahead of the curve on the move by hardware people to ARM .

Please get one thing straight, I don't like EITHER of them and do not plan to use them. I like classic and Kubuntu the whole plasma thing.

I have been taken to task on this by many people and the general gist of the task taking was that ARM would "never happen" it is for small devices.

THat is the kind of comment that was prevalent when "all the experts" said that "software will never be faster than hardware"... so much for that dismissal...

Microsith is forging full tilt to ARM and here is a breaking article:

News Analysis: Microsoft is working to make sure its Windows 8 OS can run on ARM chips.

For the tech industry, this is the best news coming out of Redmond yet.

With the BUILD Conference in full swing, much of the talk surrounding the tech industry right now has to do with Microsoft. And as of late, quite a bit of the attention has surrounded Microsoft’s partnership with ARM. Under the terms of the deal, Windows 8 will work with ARM processors, paving the way for mobile-device makers to use Windows in a new way.

Now, the point of this post is that what will run on a "little" thing (mobile -device) will ALSO run on a "big thing" a tower or a laptop.

ARM is ideally positioned to be the "latest new thing" it can be promoted as "green" or "small" or "fast" or whatever....

Both GNOME and Unity will, relatively quickly, be able to be scaled from a mobile device to a tower.....

We may not LIKE it, but it can be done.

So.........the obvious question that is hanging like a ton brick is .....what about the "other interfaces"....Plasma, etc. ?

I dunno.........

The thread about Unity "driving people to Kubuntu" is a valid question.......

I've also suggested that the move to GNOME and Unity could also force people:

a) higher up the tree to pure Debian
    b) BSD

So.....dunno.... It is fascinating, and in some ways also depressing, to consider that

a) MS could actually grab the whole pie with ARM
    b) Linux could morph into two completely unexpected camps, (new interfaces) and ( old interfaces)

any thoughts?

The article discusses many projected changes with the advent of ARM as opposed to Intel, low power consumption, new form factor devices. etc.

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-...atters-658818/

woodsmoke

Re: Unity Gnome Win 8 and ARM

Too many words (or maybe it's to much wine!). :P
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Google "Plasma Active"
      "The only way Kubuntu could be more user friendly would be if it came with a virtual copy of Snowhog and dibl"

Comment

maybe im missing the point of this. linux has been running on ARM for a while now.

Originally posted by de_koraco
        Google "Plasma Active"
        about the only reason i want a tablet.
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Microsoft has a major issue with Win8 (all flavors). At their unveiling they made a great deal of fuss about HTML5 and JAVASCRIPT being the dev tools for web based applications.
          http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...-_Xb6zT2uxK7Wg

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...hhtml5/threads
          This site is about identical to the sites MS put up after they announced they were canceling VisualFoxPro. It's purpose is to "condition" SilverLight and .NET developers into switching to the new paradigm.

Feeling abandon and kicked to the curb, the .NET developers blew a fuse and went ballistic in the talkbacks to that announcement. Microsoft hasn't backed down from their decision to make HTML5/JavaScript there webdev tool, but they have softened the blow by claiming that .NET/SilverLight will be "beside" HTMML5/JavaScript and WinRT (the dev tool) in Win8. That's how they got out of their VFP pickle, but VFP ended up at the back of the bus anyway.

On September 14th just before 6 pm Steven Sinofsky and Dean Hachamovitch announced that the Metro-style browser in Windows 8 does not support plug-ins.
          This means no Flash, no QuickTime, no PDF readers, and no Silverlight. He goes on to explain why plug-in free browsing is superior and that all sites should be transitioning to HTML5 anyways. And for the most part he is right, but that is a cold comfort when you can’t read your paystub because it is an embedded PDF. Nor does it help when you want to watch that video hosted by one of the various media players.

Why is this happening? Well the most likely reason is simply that the Metro-style browser can’t support plugins. Metro is not based on the Win32 libraries, it uses an entirely new OS-level API known as Windows Runtime or WinRT. Since the plug-ins are most likely built on Win32 components such as GDI they would have to be completely rewritten to run under Metro. And moving forward companies such as Apple and Adobe would have to maintain both a WinRT and a Win32 version for each of x86, x64, and ARM. And all of this can’t even start until Microsoft developers a new plug-in architecture that abides by WinRT’s runtime restrictions.

It should be noted that Flash and Silverlight will continue to run just fine using Internet Explorer in “desktop” mode. Likewise users can elect to switch to one of the other browsers such as Firefox, Safari, or Chrome. But again, those run in desktop mode.
          The companies that use Flash or Silverlight to augment their websites are going to have the most trouble. Since they cannot simply port their code to Metro they will need to need go rewrite the components from scratch using HTML and JavaScript.
          I believe this will be the impetus for another stampede out of the Microsoft plantation toward other platforms that can develop HTML5/JavaScript apps WITHOUT having to click through a restrictive EULA or get embedded calls to MS proprietary dlls in the HTML5/JavaScript code, like FrontPage did with HTML.

Apple will benefit, but I believe that Linux, FireFox, Chrome and Goggle will benefit more. YouTube will continue to show flash videos as it proceeds to convert its videos to HTML5 and Konqueror, ReKonq, Chrome, Opera and other browsers will allow plugins.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Good thing I'm not planning to upgrade to Windows 8 anytime soon (or when it comes out either).
            The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

Nice replies all....

really....

to clarify....the "point" behind the post was that "...to my way of thinking".... one of the big reasons for the massive change to Unity and GNOME is to facilitate the ability of the OS to be vertically integrated through a mobile device to the desktop with one, and only one, "OS".

It is just a bugaboo with me and a lot of people have jousted with me on the topic.....

The ARM situation will, to me, accelerate the move to a single OS for all platforms because the ARM situation is scalable through all platforms...

So.....even though "some" people might not like Unity... the business end of the situation will probably FORCE some kind of situation in which the OS is scalable....

IF...............note the IF....if that happens, then what do "the rest of us do"?

I, personally, do not like Unity or the new GNOME....

Will the "other OS people"....Kubuntu.... whoever....separate out on the basis of "the interface style"?

In other words....up until now, things like Intel, or AMD or whaterver was a "separator"....

Will the new ARM way of doing things force "some" OSs to move to a "fully scalable" orientation....

and then the "other" OSs stay with and possibly "enhance" the "desktop/laptop" OS experience?

AS and ASIDE....

A student showed me his BETA Win8 and showed me the ....distinct...similarities to Ubuntu today!!!!

It is a greatly dumbed down version of the "multiple desktops" and ....moving from "program" to "function", which is what both Unity and Gnome(new) are pushing.

woodsmoke

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke
                one of the big reasons for the massive change to Unity and GNOME is to facilitate the ability of the OS to be vertically integrated through a mobile device to the desktop with one, and only one, "OS".
                From my POV it makes a LOT of sense to combine all of the platform and desktop capabilities into one install ISO that automatically detects the hardware and makes appropriate choices about what video drivers and file system to put on top of the basic OS, and to choose the simplest setting possible. The reason is also simple: to appeal to the majority of users which, these days, are mostly Joe and Sally Sixpack, who can barely use the mouse. All they want to do is browse, play videos, email, and write a few documents.

Linux has, after all, come a long way from when it was necessary to be a geek to be able to install and run it. The appeal of the LiveCDs is that when the quick and easy installation was done the user was presented with a desktop that was easy to use but, in the case of KDE, extremely powerful and mime connected as well. The NEW desktop for the majority of users will be 4", 7" or 10". They suffer from limited desktop real estate so the traditional KDE4 desktop would be too dense to use, even if it was touch screen. Ergo, the simple Unity desktop.

However, while the newer ISOs will have fewer apps in order to make room for the tools necessary to install the distro on a wider range of hardware, people wanting the traditional desktop or laptop desktop will be able to download and install that option, as easily as they do today.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Win8 on ARM and x86 apps need "recompiling" illustration

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/...8-on-arm/10756

Comment

Working...
                  X