X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New BIOS & MBR Trojan

http://www.symantec.com/connect/blog...-showing-again

This threat returns to a 1999 Trojan that infected the BIOS of a PC and is called even BEFORE the MBR is read!
    There are more and more known viruses that infect the MBR (Master Boot Record). Symantec Security Response has published a blog to demonstrate this trend last month. However, we seldom confront with one that infects the BIOS. One of them is the notorious CIH appeared in 1999, which infected the computer BIOS and thus harmed a huge number of computers at that time. Recently, we met a new threat named Trojan.Mebromi that can add malicious components into Award BIOS which allows the threat to take control of the system even before MBR.
    The machines at risk are only those that use the Award BIOS and are running Windows.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Re: New BIOS & MBR Trojan

My father had his (last) PC, which was running OS/2, *killed* by such a BIOS virus.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hi all...

Glad mine is phoenix.

Regards...
      Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
      How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
      PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

I'll keep my eyes open for this one if I am working on a Windows machine with an Award BIOS.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
          My father had his (last) PC, which was running OS/2, *killed* by such a BIOS virus.
          Your Dad is still using OS/2? Was this a long time ago or is he waaaayyy old school!

-> Old OS/2 Warp user myself...

Please Read Me

Comment

The biggest computer mistake of my life was switching to Win95. I was running Windows 3.1, which I installed in OS/2 Warp's virtual DOS machine, because it was more stable that way. But, Win95 came pre-installed on computers and OS/2 didn't. I purchased a new Sony VAIO desktop on Dec 29, 1997. By May 5th of 1998 I had reinstalled Win95 FIVE times and was sick of it. I went to Barnes & Nobel to look for OS/2 to see if Win95 would be stable in it, but while there I saw a paperback book, "Learn Linux in 24 Hours", by Bill Brush, for $25. It included a CD of RH5.0 in the back. My unstable Sony was stable as a rock running RH5.0, and I never bought OS/2 and never ran Windows again for personal use.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
              Your Dad is still using OS/2? Was this a long time ago or is he waaaayyy old school!

-> Old OS/2 Warp user myself...
              He had been using OS/2 up until this year. He was running eComStation (Serenity) when he got bit by the BIOS virus. He loved OS/2, and had started using it at Warp 2.1 (IIRC). But towards the end, IBM just didn't want to support OS/2 (for non-commercial users), and tired (more than once) to kill it through neglect. In the last few years, my father realized more and more 'problems' with OS/2 / eComStation that he just could not continue to tolerate, and looked for an alternative -- Linux.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
              X