This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My sub $200 Linux computer!

I already have 2 hard drives. I'm going to back up my data and save it to my external and reinstall Kubuntu after I build this thing. I also had a dvd burner, so I could skip that as well.

I just needed a computer that was relatively fast. I was wanting a superfast quad-core and such, but I just bought a laptop that has all the power I need, so I just got a dual core, mid-range computer. Something that's relatively fast and can still handle some bigger jobs.

Now, this is a AMD DDR2 computer, all from TigerDirect since they seemed to have the best prices for what I wanted. So here goes:

Asus M2N68-AM PLUS Motherboard and AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ 2.30GHz Dual-Core Processor Bundle

HEC 6T10LITE 6T10 Mini Tower Case - Micro ATX

Diablotek DA Series 320w MATX Power Supply - 320 Watt, MicroATX

OEM AMD 754, 939, 940, AM2 Aluminum CPU Cooler

Corsair XMS2 4GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory Upgrade - 2x2048MB

I already had this graphics card, but it actually puts me over $200; EVGA 512-P1-N402-LR GeForce 6200 512MB

First time ever putting together a machine, hoping that I chose well. I'll soon find out.

Re: My sub $200 Linux computer!

I've had mixed results unlocking the fourth core on AMD triple-cores; the first one unlocked easily and the second one, purchased a month later with identical motherboard and processor refused to unlock
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

Comment

Well, I got everything in yesterday, put it together last night and installed XP in it this morning (yeah, it took ALL morning), then installed Kubuntu 10.4. I already got it up and going, installed my favorite programs and am updating it now. Kubuntu was cake compared to XP.

Of course, putting it together was no cake walk like I had hoped. Turns out I bought the wrong power supply for the case I was going to use as well as the wrong CPU fan, which had a 3 pin connector instead of 4. I ended up gutting my Dell for the power supply and CPU fan, both fit perfectly.

Now to find out if I can return my CPU fan and power supply to TigerDirect after I opened them.

Comment

Already got everything set up. Kubuntu runs beautifully!!! I love it!! Never had an OS run this smoothly before!! Yippee!

Comment

charles052, congratulations on your new build -- always a good feeling when the sucker actually fires up, isn't it?
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by charles052
            Well, I got everything in yesterday, put it together last night and installed XP in it this morning (yeah, it took ALL morning)
            Don't forget the XP key also added towards the cost, unless you used a crack

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike
              charles052, congratulations on your new build -- always a good feeling when the sucker actually fires up, isn't it?
              Heck yeah!
              Originally posted by stevek
              Originally posted by charles052
              Well, I got everything in yesterday, put it together last night and installed XP in it this morning (yeah, it took ALL morning)
              Don't forget the XP key also added towards the cost, unless you used a crack
              Nah, I've had this XP disc for a long while to replace a Vista install I had on my old computer. And for some reason, my XP install is full of glitches. Constant freezing and what not. No idea what's going on with it and truly don't care either.

Comment

Working...
              X