This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new System Build

I have my new system built and up and running. Thanks to a few good people at this Forum. I know I have a lot of learning to do in the weeks ahead but thanks to you all I have hit the ground running. I will now up-date my signature the old Compaq is just a downstairs stereo now 8)
    Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3: ATI Fire-Pro V4800; Phenom II X4 970 3.5 Ghz; G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 4 x 4GB; WD Caviar Black 1.5 TB;CM 690 case w/9 fans and 6-switch rheobus plus 2 optical drives [ROM & RW]

Re: new System Build

Case with 9 fans? Wow. That's a bit of overkill. Is it noisy with all those fans running?

Looks like a great system and should be good for many years.

Comment

I know I am a Fan nut but I am serious 'hear', I can not hear it at all. Well not not at all but the Seasonic PSU is what I mostly hear. The secret is multi-layered.

1] there are 6 of the fans on the rheobus so I do not have to run them all wide open

2]6 of the 9 are Scythe S-Flex

3]other than the Noctua on the heat sink the other 3 fans are directly plugged into the mobo

This was my first build and if I knew 3.5 years ago what I do now I would most likely not have this many but you know what they say about learning by doing; I'm just a little OCD about it
      Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3: ATI Fire-Pro V4800; Phenom II X4 970 3.5 Ghz; G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 4 x 4GB; WD Caviar Black 1.5 TB;CM 690 case w/9 fans and 6-switch rheobus plus 2 optical drives [ROM & RW]

Comment

I wish I had USB 3.0. Let us know how that is working out for you. Do you have any USB 3.0 devices? I am particularly interested in the data transfer speeds.

Comment

Ahem.......

One can ....NEVER have too many fans!! lol

woodcan'twalkbyalightedfanwithoutbuyingitsmoke

Comment

You guys are a gas; I really enjoy this Forum,

No I do not have a 3.0 devices yet. I am trying to decide on if that is the way to go for a back-up drive or if I should just mount a back-up in the case, I still have 3 SATA 3's open inside.

Comment

I am planning to upgrade to USB 3.0 and get an adapter that will mount hard drives thru USB for my work. I do a lot of malware removal on infected drives, and I like to remove those drives from the computer and mount them in my computer to do the malware search and removal. It works much better than trying to do it with the drive still in the infected computer. It would simplify things if I could do it through USB 3.0, it does not work well with USB 2.0 because of the very limited speed. It takes many, many hours to run a scan on a disk. I am hoping USB 3.0 will allow me to do this and I can run a scan in something approaching a reasonable time.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
                I am hoping USB 3.0 will allow me to do this and I can run a scan in something approaching a reasonable time.
                have you looked into e-SATA as an option, that is I am assuming your mobo is SATA.

Comment

Hmmm, I have to search and see if I can find adapters for IDE, both 2.5 and 3.5 to E-Sata. That might work.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
                    Hmmm, I have to search and see if I can find adapters for IDE, both 2.5 and 3.5 to E-Sata. That might work.
                    I have a Rosewill [RCW618]; not sure if the Egg still has them but it is SATA/IDE USB 2.0 adapter supports 2.5",3.5" and 5.25" Drives; you might check the Rosewill site for a USB 3.0 model. I'm sure they will make them soon if not already.

Comment

I already have a IDE/Sata adapter that works on USB 2.0. I also have an IDE Sata adapter that allows you to connect a 3.5 IDE drive to a Sata system or vice versa connect a Sata drive to an IDE system. I've got everything covered except I don't have a way to connect a 2.5 IDE drive directly to a system, I must use USB 2.0 for this. No problem with 2.5 laptop Sata drives, you can hook them up directly to the system easily.

Comment

I think I just found the solution to my problem.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...310&CatId=3770

Comment

Glad to hear you're finally running the new hardware!

re: Fan noise, I'm water-cooled at the moment with two fans cooling the radiator and still have a fan in the PS. I'm moving toward fan-less with a passive radiator soon, and if it can take it, I'll mod my PS to water cooled too! 8)

Please Read Me

Comment

8) 8) Dang. Why don't you just build your computer in a refrigerator? 8) 8)

Comment

You know I considered that!

Hey, maybe a combo keg-gerator/overclocked PC! The perfect computer for the over-21-year-old gamer!!!

lol

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                              X