X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

building a sub-$200 linux pc...

Fascinating read.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2392163,00.asp
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

Re: building a sub-$200 linux pc...

RMA alert! RMA alert! ["Alert Horn" here] (Just kidding)

Seriously though, if the parts hold up, that's one of the cheapest deals I've seen. The entry level e-machines running Windows XP (that you can buy at Walmart) comes pretty close price wise.

Regards...

Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
    How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
    PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Somehow, with no monitor or I/O items on the component list, by page 6 it has a nice Dell LCD monitor, a keyboard and a mouse.

However, the point is made -- core components can be had pretty cheaply.

Comment

You can do it even cheaper if you happen to have an old computer lying around. Might even get and optical drive and a graphics card that way.

Comment

A friend of the family recently asked me if I would take her old PC off her hands -- she said she would have thrown it in the dumpster except she didn't know how to safely destroy the personal data on the hard drive. I asked her what was wrong with it and she said "it won't bring up E-Bay any more". So I said "OK".

Turned out to be a Dell Optiplex GX270, with P4 @2.66GHz, a 40GB hard drive, and 512MB of memory. It had already been through a refurbishment at some point -- the monitor, keyboard and mouse were not original. A little troubleshooting revealed the ethernet chip was non-functional. But everything else seemed to be in working order -- it has some cheesy internal speakers, but they work. I got a replacement motherboard off E-Bay for $20 plus $12 shipping, and spent $30 on 1GB of new memory. I set it up with Linux and KDE and it is now a really nice desktop computer, with pretty fair performance. Total cost $62. 8)

Probably I'll end up donating it to someone.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
            A friend of the family recently asked me if I would take her old PC off her hands -- she said she would have thrown it in the dumpster except she didn't know how to safely destroy the personal data on the hard drive. I asked her what was wrong with it and she said "it won't bring up E-Bay any more". So I said "OK".

Turned out to be a Dell Optiplex GX270, with P4 @2.66GHz, a 40GB hard drive, and 512MB of memory. It had already been through a refurbishment at some point -- the monitor, keyboard and mouse were not original. A little troubleshooting revealed the ethernet chip was non-functional. But everything else seemed to be in working order -- it has some cheesy internal speakers, but they work. I got a replacement motherboard off E-Bay for $20 plus $12 shipping, and spent $30 on 1GB of new memory. I set it up with Linux and KDE and it is now a really nice desktop computer, with pretty fair performance. Total cost $62. 8)

Probably I'll end up donating it to someone.
            I just pulled an identical machine out of a school dumpster. The motherboard has two blown capacitors. I am going to replace it pretty soon and turn it into a family PC. I was wondering how it would perform. It originally had XP on it. I deliver milk to a large school system and find all kind of electronic goodies that way! I got an Epson printer last year that worked. Not sure why they threw it out.
            Klaatu Barada Nikto

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
              Somehow, with no monitor or I/O items on the component list, by page 6 it has a nice Dell LCD monitor, a keyboard and a mouse.

However, the point is made -- core components can be had pretty cheaply.
              Exactly.

Mouse with tail - $10. Without tail - $30
              Keyboard - $10 Without tail - $40
              Monitor -
              17" CRT - $16
              17" LCD - Samsung - new, $80

Additional costs
              Cheap Expensive
              $36 $150

Totals
              Cheap Expensive
              $227 $341

But, no webcam. Add $40 to either price for a webcam. The expensive version is nearing $400.

For $200 more, or $607, one can get an Acer All-in-One Desktop which has the following specs:
              * Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core Processor E6700(3.2GHz, 2MB Total L2 Cache)
              * Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit
              [ replace with Linux of your choice or dual boot]
              * 4GB DDR3 Memory
              * 1TB SATA Hard Drive
              * 4GB DDR3 Memory
              * Integrated Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X4500HD
              * 21.5" Full HD Widescreen LCD Touch Screen
              * 8X DVD SuperMulti Double-Layer Drive
              * 802.11b/g/n
              * Multi-in-One Digital Media Card Reader
              * Built-in 2.0 Megapixel HD webcam and microphone
              * 6- USB 2.0 Ports4 Rear, 2 Side
              * Dolby® Home Theater® audio enhancement
              * High-Definition Audio with 5.1-channel Audio Support
              * Wireless Keyboard and Mouse
              Personally, I'd go with the Acer All-in-One.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I've purchased 19" LCDs for $62. Not refurbishes but they were trying to eliminate stock. They were e-Machine tagged LCD monitors. Very nice monitors from what I've seen from them so far. So that with a $200 machine with Linux! WOW, now that is cost savings.

Comment

This is a weird thread - All my desktop computers seem to cost me $1200 +/- $50.

That price range began with an Apple IIc and run all the way through to today!

I guess that's my Dollars-for-Computers threshold...

I keep thinking at each upgrade I'll do it for less $$$ but somehow I always end up in the same place, like I'm on a set of Penrose Stairs...

Please Read Me

Comment

@ oshnluvr, Yeah, me, too, $800 or $900 up to $1200. However, I do constrain myself by insisting upon Intel and other brand names I prefer (Intel, Antec, Lian Li, Crucial, Seagate (yes, they've had their issues), Samsung, etc.). However, nowadays, increasingly so, it seems to be true than many component brand names are comparable, even generic, "commodity items," interchangeable. Even so, I'm (irrationally?) stuck on a few brands, like Intel for mobo and CPU. I like Intel's support site for systems builders, for example. And Antec's return policy. Lian Li cases are not only cool, they are very well thought out. Crucial is impeccably solid on memory and their web site is helpful (for memory configuration). And so on.

On a related note, I've plugged this book before, a really good basic how-to for people building their own systems,
                    Building the Perfect PC [Paperback] -- Get the 3rd edition
                    http://www.amazon.com/Building-Perfe...5102810&sr=8-1

The authors own this web site, an excellent place to get help, even for beginners:
                    http://forums.hardwareguys.com/ikonboard.cgi

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

That book is several years old, and probably somewhat dated.

A more current source of advice on a DIY PC project can be found at:
                      http://www.tomshardware.com/theme-bu...r-own,156.html
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I believe the turnaround on that edition was fairly quick. So figure a manuscript deadline of 1-year lead time, so Dec 2009 (maybe even later), that makes it just two years out (for pub date Dec 2010). In any case, it is always true when building a system that one must update specific component lists in line with current/changing technology. The book's strength is for the beginner who has never built and who may even have some trepidation about doing so. It's excellent for laying down the basics and stepping the novice through the project (of which there are, I think, five different configurations illustrated).
                        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Getting old by the day and not always keeping my thoughts tightened up! Although it looks like this topic has died down, ...

THE purpose of the website (which I listed above),
                          http://forums.hardwareguys.com/ikonboard.cgi?
                          is not only to answer questions about building the PC (assembly/integration details),
                          but also to attempt to keep current on component lists or to provide a place where users can ask questions about the best current component list (for each PC configuration).

Comment

Working...
                          X