This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bios boot menu question.

I was going through boot options for my abit IP35Pro motherboard I was curious if ssd drives were listed as an option. SSD's aren't listed but I found this strange item between Lite-On DV and Disabled. I don't even have keys on my keyboard to do a search for this item so I included a picture.
    Could anybody tell me what this is?
    Attached Files
    OS: Win7 Prof. X64, XP Prof. x86. WD 160GB X3 RAID 0<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid X64 LTS. <br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; 10.10 Maverick X64 KDE 4.6.2<br />MB: abit IP35 PRO. Q6600 OC: 3204MHz. <br />RAM: OCZ 1066MHz 8GB (4X2GB) <br />Graphics: Nvidia 9800GTX+ OC: 823/1265<br />Displays: LG 1280X1024. Asus 1680X1050

Re: bios boot menu question.

A SSD is just a hard drive to your BIOS. However some SSDs like my OCZ RevoDrive, a PCI device, are not recognized as a bootable device by some BIOS's like my Asus motherboard. It is seen as a hard drive, but it is not bootable.

Your Lite-On DVD drive is apparently seen as a bootable device. I'm not sure what the "disabled" check box means. Possibly it is for use if your computer were going to be set up as network bootable only (a "thin client" kind of setup), where it can't boot anything except from a network image.

Comment

dibl,thanks for your reply. I didn't know the ssd drives were recognized as HDD's. I did check the OCZ forum a while back to see if I could use a Revo but my board/bios is to old to use it as a boot drive. Newegg has been having some good deals for ssd's in the Shell Shocker alerts so I've been thinking about getting one. I should do some read/write tests for my RAID 0 before I commit.
      The disabled choice was marked by accident while I scrolled through first boot device options. What I'm curious about is the device above disabled that is listed as a boot option? I've never heard of it. I don't recall ever seeing it before. So I was thinking it was something bad that put itself there.
      OS: Win7 Prof. X64, XP Prof. x86. WD 160GB X3 RAID 0<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid X64 LTS. <br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; 10.10 Maverick X64 KDE 4.6.2<br />MB: abit IP35 PRO. Q6600 OC: 3204MHz. <br />RAM: OCZ 1066MHz 8GB (4X2GB) <br />Graphics: Nvidia 9800GTX+ OC: 823/1265<br />Displays: LG 1280X1024. Asus 1680X1050

Comment

I have no clue what that garble means. If you're concerned about something illegitimate written into your BIOS (which is not impossible), your motherboard probably has a BIOS reset jumper that you can use to "lobotomize" it, and then return it to defaults. Check your documentation carefully for the process to do this -- you might want to make sure you have a BIOS software load available to reload it after it loses its brains.

Comment

Thanks again dibl. That's what I'll probably do.

Comment

Yeah, I'd opt for a BIOS update/reload if I say garbage on a BIOS screen. No telling what else is scrambled or what impact that might have.

This is kind-of an older Mobo - could be nearing end-of-life, I'm sad to say.

Please Read Me

Comment

I think it merely means that no First Boot Device is selected, and the computer will move to the next boot device. do you have a similar window to select the Second Boot Device?

Comment

Detonate - I was referring to the "fuFt" sort of item near then end of the list of bootables.

Please Read Me

Comment

Yes, I have no clue what that is. Never seen anything like it before.

Comment

Remember the old days when you upgraded your BIOS by actually replacing the chip on the MB?

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
                      Detonate - I was referring to the "fuFt" sort of item near then end of the list of bootables.
                      Maybe your computer has been hacked by mid 20th-century eastern Europeans! How else could you get a word with a German and a Cyrillic character in it? Sounds like it's time to manufacture some conspiracy theories!

Comment

Hah! I was cleaning out my desk drawer just last night and found two BIOS chips among the small screws and other junk at the back!

Please Read Me

Comment

Maybe that word is some obscure language for "floppy" or something?

Please Read Me

Comment

Maybe someone can make sense of what Google has to say about that word:

https://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&...oq=füГt

Comment

Yeah, I'd opt for a BIOS update/reload if I say garbage on a BIOS screen. No telling what else is scrambled or what impact that might have.

This is kind-of an older Mobo - could be nearing end-of-life, I'm sad to say.
                              I'll reset my bios. First I need to make sure I still have my O.C. settings. I've learned alot with this board if it goes out I'll miss it. abit folded shortly after this board was made I'm sorry to say.

Maybe that word is some obscure language for "floppy" or something?
                              floppy, zip drives, etc; are all at the top of my options menu that isn't included in the picture.

Originally posted by Detonate
                              Remember the old days when you upgraded your BIOS by actually replacing the chip on the MB?
                              That was before my time, but this board is on it's second bios chip. I replaced the original a couple years ago after a bad bios flash.

Originally posted by steveriley
                              Maybe your computer has been hacked by mid 20th-century eastern Europeans! How else could you get a word with a German and a Cyrillic character in it? Sounds like it's time to manufacture some conspiracy theories!
                              That was my first thought!

Comment

Working...
                              X