This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Earthquake in Virginia

I'm sure you guys have heard or read about the 5.8 earthquake that happened early this afternoon. Have any of those along the East Coast (or anywhere) felt it. I've heard some in my home state of Wisconsin felt it, though I didn't at all.
    The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Re: Earthquake in Virginia

5.9? pfffft, sissy quake...

Things don't really start breaking until 6.5-7.

Can you tell I live in Los Angeles?

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr

LOL yes we can.....

it was felt hear in NC and my daughter sead she felt it in MD but mom dident notice it in NY until the neighbor said it had scared the bejesus out of her

as far as I have read, it seams as though a smaller magnitude quake will be felt over a longer distance hear on the east coast than the west.

The rock hear(east coast)is harder and colder than on the west coast so the vibrations travel further stronger.
      but thats just what I'v read

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Earthquakes are not as common east of the Mississippi, hence buildings are not built to be earthquake-proof. I heard there was some damage reported in the Washington area (National Cathedral, Pentagon, etc.) and elsewhere. According to Wikipedia, it (the earthquake) was felt fron Atlanta, GA to Quebec City, PQ and from Illinois to New Brunswick.
        The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

Dude I cut my quake chops with the Loma Prieta. So naturally, when a friend of mine texted me about it while I was at work today, my first impulse was to demand why was she was even bothering to tell me about a 5.8. *yawn* She was telling me our mutual friend in NY was okay, and when I sussed out where the epicenter was I was confused why that even needed to be mentioned. *shakes head* Silly easily rattled people. You'd think they'd never felt the earth shake before.

Comment

One of the primary factors in transmission distance is the crust composition. Hard shell (like the older, more stable overall East coast) transmits farther, but with less overall "action." In contrast, here, we have relatively soft, young crust - which means more localized movement but less transmission distance.

My first year in CA - 1987, San Francisco had a minor (for here) 5.5 quake. My mother, in Kansas City, called me in a panic worried that I was some how in danger. Once I explained that The Great Chicago fire was more danger to Kansas City than a monstrous San Francisco earthquake was to L.A., she calmed down.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by Death Kitten
              Dude I cut my quake chops with the Loma Prieta.
              I got a real chuckle out of that phrase!

I looked up Loma Prieta and noticed it was in 1989, 22 years ago. Were there any teeth in your chops at that time?
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Dude I cut my quake chops with the Loma Prieta. So naturally, when a friend of mine texted me about it while I was at work today, my first impulse was to demand why was she was even bothering to tell me about a 5.8. *yawn* She was telling me our mutual friend in NY was okay, and when I sussed out where the epicenter was I was confused why that even needed to be mentioned. *shakes head* Silly easily rattled people. You'd think they'd never felt the earth shake before.
                Well, considering the last major (for those of us not from California that is) East Coast earthquake occurred in 1944 over in New York State, you can say they mostly haven't. If I felt one here in WI I wold be as rattled as well.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                  Dude I cut my quake chops with the Loma Prieta.
                  I got a real chuckle out of that phrase!

I looked up Loma Prieta and noticed it was in 1989, 22 years ago. Were there any teeth in your chops at that time?
                  Pfft. I'll have you know I was six years old when that quake hit. :-P

Comment

Six... I was thinking maybe 35 to 40 (15 +22 = 37 as a guesstimate)

Nah, I saw your picture somewhere and knew you weren't that old. Are your memories of that quake vivid and detailed? Most people cannot remember when they were six unless it was their first year of school.
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Read where our own Nuclear Commission is reevaluating what they previously said about our reactors after the Fuka' incident. Really, these people have not a clue and really have never thought of the "What If". They only thought of now and how to fill their pockets!

Comment

I think the evidence of past NRC regulation changes and modifications granted at the request of the various power companies demonstrates that the NRC is lapdog for the nuclear power industry, not the government agency originally mandated to protect the citizens from excesses or corruption in the nuclear industry.

Arney Gunderson at FaireWinds details several recent instances of the NRC gutting or ignoring their own safety regulations at the mere request of nuke companies.

Comment

Working...
                        X