This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plans for KDE Frameworks 5 Announced

It looks like there are plans for KDE SC 5 for once Qt5 is released next year. Luckily they'll still be working on KDE SC 4 whilst this is going on, so no big disruption like the 3.5 > 4 migration.
    The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Re: Plans for KDE Frameworks 5 Announced

http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2011/08/i...-today-at.html

(...)We do not wish to introduce anything highly disruptive, however. As with Qt5, we want this to be a mostly-under-the-hood set of work.(...)

(...)Application development will not be pausing as we do this: releases every six months of application improvements will continue based on the 4.x codebase. When Frameworks gets to the point where it is ready for serious banging on, then we will start repurposing our highlight applications to the new codebase. We don't want application development to be held up by the library development, and we don't want the library development to create much, if any, need for "porting" application code. We want "just recompile and test" to be the common case, with whatever changes do become necessary to be of the simple and even automatable sort.

If this sounds rather different from how we approached 4.0, that's because it is.(...)
    It's just like you say bsniadajewski, and it sounds good

Comment

Full blown Wayland support in 2012, baby! I get a feeling Kwin is gonna be the only compositor to be able to handle Wayland properly for quite some time.
      "The only way Kubuntu could be more user friendly would be if it came with a virtual copy of Snowhog and dibl"

Comment

I just hope Nvidia changes its mind about Wayland by then.

I'll assume that Wayland will debut in 12.10 since 12.04 will be LTS.
        The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

Of course they're gonna change it. They're just hedging their bets, they don't wanna go publicly supporting something that doesn't have full blown Red Hat backing.
          "The only way Kubuntu could be more user friendly would be if it came with a virtual copy of Snowhog and dibl"

Comment

How would one know? When we start seeing Fedora use it in Rawhide or a beta release?

Comment

Yup, probably something like that. Although, a I think a simple "yes, we will transition to Wayland in FCxy" would probably suffice.

Comment

In my opinion, I don't have proof to support this, but I think the reason why Nvidia won't openly support it is because they probably have 'buddy buddy chum chum" going on with Microsoft. I know that Nvidia powers a lot of Microsoft stuff[such as the tegra in the Zune, as well as on a lot of brand computers that come with Windows preinstalled]. Just observations of course, so if they openly support it, Microsoft might look at them funny, and reduce funding, or whatever it is that Nvidia could be getting from them.

Just a possibility of course :P
                Computer Lie #1: You&#39;ll never use all that disk space.<br />FATAL SYSTEM ERROR: Press F13 to continue...<br />The box said, &quot;Requires Windows 7 Home Edition or better&quot; ..so I installed Linux<br />My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.<br />Bad command. Bad, bad command! Sit! Stay! Staaay...

Comment

I don't think so. Microsoft relies on Nvidia as much as they rely on them. ATI has been increasing their market share, but Nvidia has seriously overtaken them with Optimus, and they got a lot of catching up to do. So it's not like Microsoft has an upper hand. Conversely, Nvidia will not want to limit its exposure to Linux, since the release of specs by ATI will probably mean that fglrx will become depreciated in two or three years, which is the timeframe in which Wayland should start becoming a serious contender (Wayland and X will share the OSS drivers).

Canonical has the right idea in paving the way with Wayland, but based on everything I've read, Compiz is not near to being ready to step up as a Wayland compositor. KWin is already by far the best compositing WM in X, and I do believe the KDE team will get it in good shape for the first snapshots. it's a question on what kind of manpower Red Hat will put towards Wayland development, and they're rather silent on the issue.
                  &quot;The only way Kubuntu could be more user friendly would be if it came with a virtual copy of Snowhog and dibl&quot;

Comment

Hopefully when Fedora (and Nvidia) does switch to Wayland that it works better than X in the last few releases. It seems I have X freeze on every Fedora release since 12 using any Nvidia driver available (nvidia, nouveau, or nv); but only in Fedora, not in any other distro I've tried (OpenSuse, K/X/Ubuntu, Mint, PCLOS, Mandriva or Mageia).

Comment

Working...
                    X