Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is your best favourite KDE distro?

as of now its kubuntu. cause it just works. frankly, i donno what _unstability_ people are talking about. i have never encountered one..

The first linux which i tried was opensuse. actually i went to opensuse cause of some "which linux is best for you" survey.. for me the answer came on the screen was opensuse. I gave it a try.. but it was not that easy to connect to net using wifi.
    then i tried kubuntu. was welcomed by this wonderful community. Could sort out most of problem because of this community only. I have been using kubuntu for 2 years now.
    used linuxMint KDE for a week just to see how it feels to have out of box media experience. It was HORRIBLE. i dont know about other KDE distro.. but LMKDE is one i will never go back to. This distro is basically a confused distro. It doesn't know if it wants to be a gnome or kde. no offence.

after reading in this thread i have downloaded the pclinuxos. lets see.
    asus A52N
    Dual boot: Kubuntu 11.10 64bit, Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
    AMD Athlon II 64 X2 | 4 GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon HD 4200
    windoze free since 2009 12 16 (Vijay din= Victory day)

Comment

Originally posted by vu2ikl
      as of now its kubuntu. cause it just works. frankly, i donno what _unstability_ people are talking about. i have never encountered one..
      While 95% of all computers run Kubuntu "out of the box" and with a minimum of putzing around, there are some boxes and certain peripherals which don't run out of the box. And, a chip which worked perfectly in the previous version may not work so well in the next if the driver for that chip has become legacy. Thus, the Broadcom 4312 wifi used to work out of the box but now one has to run the b43-fwcutter. Then, there are issues with certain version of HP laptops, where the webcam image is upside down in Linux (but not in Windows), and its been that way for those models for over 2 years. You'd think HP would make a production change and switch the vertical wires or their polarity, but they don't.

It's always a good practice to verify its compatibility with Linux before buying a computer. The best way is to ask the store if you can test it with a LiveCD or LiveUSB. If they will, fine. If they won't, find another dealer.

after reading in this thread i have downloaded the pclinuxos. lets see.
      It's a find distro. It was based on Mandrake, and then Mandriva, so it's very similar, even after leaving that base behind. It uses Python scripts for a lot of its glue, and the Sys Admin package is like Kubuntu's System Settings, except it controls more aspects of hardware configuration than System Setting does. That's because the PCLOS Sys Admin package works outside of Kubuntu (being driven by Python).

It has a reasonably active forum and a devoted group of followers and volunteers. The man behind the distro is TexStar, a retired banker if rumors are true, who is an excellent coder and RPM packager of applications. At the distro level the man has few equals. He's also a good leader. If he were to leave the distro would collapse, which it almost did a few years ago when a hurricane took TexStar's Huston home out and he took a year to get his life back together.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

The man behind the distro is TexStar, a retired banker if rumors are true, who is an excellent coder and RPM packager of applications. At the distro level the man has few equals. He's also a good leader. If he were to leave the distro would collapse, which it almost did a few years ago when a hurricane took TexStar's Huston home out and he took a year to get his life back together.
        Great Guy!

ok.. i went to PCLOS site. there i saw: "Produced by:texstar". what does it mean? i mean.. is it the _single_ guy who build this?

damn.. i replaced kubuntu with PCLOS and now it can´t detect the ubuntu on other partition.. gotta search for that now

one thing i like about this OS is, as greygeek said (in some other thread).. the applications are chosen by community demand. So, it has all the popular apps by default vlc, digikam, clementine, gimp, synaptics.. etc. which from normal user's perspective is good thing..
        one thing i disliked about this OS is, it can not render the devnagari font (hindi, marathi...) properly. which is very important to me. so i am gonna try the last KDE distro now.. openSuse..which i will try after they upgrade to 12.1.

EDIT: i got fed up by the improper font rendering. so i re-installed good old kubuntu. and guess what.. now grub recognized presence of ubuntu on other partition trying mandriva and PCLOS in short span of 3 hours made me realize how easy and simple the installation of kubuntu is..
        asus A52N
        Dual boot: Kubuntu 11.10 64bit, Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
        AMD Athlon II 64 X2 | 4 GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon HD 4200
        windoze free since 2009 12 16 (Vijay din= Victory day)

Comment

Originally posted by vu2ikl
          EDIT: i got fed up by the improper font rendering. so i re-installed good old kubuntu. and guess what.. now grub recognized presence of ubuntu on other partition trying mandriva and PCLOS in short span of 3 hours made me realize how easy and simple the installation of kubuntu is..
          Now you know why we are here! 8)
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Kubuntu, OpenSUSE is probably second.

I can't get past the deb package system, its just works so well. The simplicity of apt-get all is beautiful. Recently I accidentally uninstalled akonadi-server which took all of KDE with it I was done to a command prompt on reboot - just did a "sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop" and I was up and running.

and as vu2ikl says - the install of kubuntu is trivial.

Comment

Hey,

I'm new to Kubuntu but tried quite a few distros in their, my favourite, KDE flavor. So, here is my 2 cents: Kubuntu is #1 overall except when it comes to the ability to control the OS through GUI. In that domain the magic trio Mandriva/Mageia/PCLOS really shines.
              Ok, got it: Ashes come from burning.

Comment

I've used 3 different Linux distros (not including different releases, then it's more like 10) and Kubuntu is definitely the best one I've tried. I've been using it for almost 2 years now and I'm completely hooked on it! I simply have to have my Kubuntu and I'm too spoiled to try others.

Comment

Working...
                X