• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is your best favourite KDE distro?

Subj, all.

goo.gl/EB20B
    http://linuxblog.darkduck.com

Re: What is your best favourite KDE distro?

I think most people here are going to say Kubuntu.

It's the only one that I've been able to get to work to my satisfaction on this old PC. OpenSuse came close to being installed as did PCLinuxOS. I had problems with the update process for both of them so reverted to using Oneiric alpha on my second hard drive!

So I'll go for Kubuntu.

Comment

I tried only Kubuntu. So, Kubuntu FTW!!!

Comment

I've tried Pardus 2011 and Linux Mint but kubuntu is the one I finally settled on and intend to stick with.

So I'll say kubuntu.
        Kubuntu 15.10

Comment

For me, it's a toss-up between OpenSuse and Kubuntu. OpenSuse has one of the best config programs in Yast, but Kubuntu/Ubuntu is much easier to update and upgrade both KDE SC and the whole OS itself.
          The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

Kubuntu (any suprise?). I simply have no need or desire to try any other KDE distro. For me, Kubuntu just works.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

ya +1 to @Snowhog's response ....... as I just posted on your blog their @darkduck

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I used to use Mandriva for 2 years. I then tried suse and Kubuntu. Used Ubuntu 10.10 for 8-9 months. Didn't like unity but I liked Gnome 3. At the moment I Like Kubuntu. I like the KDE apps like Digikam and Amarok. Was thinking of installing Ubuntu again but decided against it . After all I'll only end up installing Kubuntu back in a few days. So I suppose I like Kubuntu sorry about the rambling.

Comment

Hi guys...
                  I just wanted to mention this post here because comments are almost fully taken by PCLOS fans.
                  Does Kubuntu community want to make a propoer response?
                  http://linuxblog.darkduck.com

Comment

Kubuntu.
                    Fedora's Gnome version is noticeably more stable and reliable than Ubuntu. Kubuntu doesn't share the mothership's propensity towards patching the hell out of software, so it's on par stability wise with Fedora KDE. openSUSE is lacking in software and font rendering, and Yast/zypper is not there yet compared to apt. Also, Kubuntu has by far the best integration of GTK packages into KDE. Couple that with PPA's and the fact that there's a .deb for every piece of software, and you got a winner.
                    "The only way Kubuntu could be more user friendly would be if it came with a virtual copy of Snowhog and dibl"

Comment

Originally posted by darkduck
                      Hi guys...
                      I just wanted to mention this post here because comments are almost fully taken by PCLOS fans.
                      When I was using PCLOS it was almost a mantra in the forum that where ever and when ever a pole or comparison was posted, everyone was encouraged to go and "vote" ... repeatedly.

PCLOS is a fine distro, and a good representative of KDE, primarily because of the skill of TexStar, a gifted individual. When the hurricane forced him out of Huston, and he took a leave of absence to get his life back in order, the troops started bickering and the quality dropped into the toilet. I thank that hastened his return, but by that time I had already moved on.

Like individuals, cycles of performance occur with distro teams and leaders. No one, nor any team, can remain at 100% for 100% of the time. People burn out and leave. New people take over and move their goals and dreams to the top of the todo lists. There are always people ready and willing to step up. Many distros make no effort to be "#1" because they have a niche interest, not a popular one. Some distros are designed to be a turnkey installation of a sound studio. Others a math engine. Others a graphics or CGI tool. Such distros will never appeal to Johnny Sixpack.

The idea that a particular distro is "#1" is an illusion. The distro that is "#1" is the distro that YOU are currently using. If you are satisfied with how it is working for you then it does not matter which distro anyone else is using. That is the power of CHOICE that Linux gives you.

And, I might add, it doesn't matter if you also use Windows, regardless of how good and bad it is. Sometimes software restrictions require it. Beware, though, it is a LOT easier to lose your personal info AND your assets running Windows than it is running Linux or Mac. Windows has ended up costing a LOT of its users more than just its retail purchase price. It's poor security model is the main reason why governments and their military (except, it seems, for the USA) are moving to their own customized binaries of Linux.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by darkduck
                        Hi guys...
                        Responses where? Your blog? Is that what you are looking for? I sure hope not. I don't believe you do, having read all the comments. But still.

What is a 'proper response' anyway? Imo, any response either looks like fanboi-ism, or just leads to flamewars. We tend not to get that way here, it seems. Heck, we can even discuss PCLOS here on these forums without getting banned, etc

I generally refrain from commenting negatively on other distros mostly out of courtesy, but also out of the knowledge that not every distro works well for everyone (like it or not) and that overall all of them are really nice

I have also given up the idea of defending either Kubuntu or KDE in many cases because of the immovable anti-whatever biases some keep. And I hate constantly repeating myself as well.

Back to the blog post itself (which often shows up in places like lxer, which helps give it more traffic)

My favorite comment is this one:

Anonymous said...
                        I think alot of the PCLinuxOS negativity boils down to jealously. Take some of the users of larger distros for example. They cant understand how a small, underfunded group of dedicated individuals can produce such a marvelous piece of work and compete with the big boys. The fact is all distros have at least a little bit of tweaking to do. Ubuntu is a nightmare to tweak from my experience.The fact that you may have to tweak PCLinuxOS a little as a reason to down it is not a valid argument imho. As for out of the box useability PCLinuxOS is difficult to beat in any flavor. I prefer KDE my self but the other desktop environment releases are awesome too. Pound for pound PCLinuxOS is the best KDE release out there. They get the most out of the little funding they have. One other thing stands out. The devs and Texstar them selves actually listen to the user base. A lot of what you see in PCLinuxOS is what the users actually want. This is outstanding. Great distro, Great forum. What more could you ask for?.
                        Funny, as PCLOS was to Mandrive(mandrake at the time) as Kubuntu is to Ubuntu in many, many ways. Especially now as Jonathan Riddell is not working on Kubuntu this cycle.

Comment

What's up with Riddell?
                          Klaatu Barada Nikto

Comment

See Jonathan Riddell off kubuntu for one release
                            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Since I've only been using Kubuntu for about 8 hours now, I would say,

1. OpenSUSE
                              2. PCLinuxOS

Comment

Working...
                              X