This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting lessons in human attitudes

Can a machine move down wind under the power of the wind and go FASTER than the wind?

When the question was posed a few answered in the affirmative, supplying physics equations and theory to prove it possible . They were immediately attacked, most times using ad hominem, the standard response being "you're an idiot!", or "you've never studied Physics", etc... Amazingly, Physics teachers & professors, dept heads, even those trained in aerodynamics, were among the most vociferous protestors.

Models were built which proved the concept but the builders were accused of hiding propulsive devices, or of towing, or running the device on a hill but filming with a slanted camera and editing the file so to top and bottom of the film frames were parallel to the road. A model was built out of one small pipe, two rods, to gears, two wheels and a propeller and mailed to dissenters. The model was dismissed. In other words, the only way those in the affirmative could "prove" what is to the dissenters "obviously wrong" is if they were immoral, corrupt, or outright evil and falsified the proof.

Google funded the two engineers who had advocated the possibility of such a device so that they could build one. They did. Sailing and Aerodynamics Regulatory bodies responsible for approving speed records, certifying equipment, etc..., attended the first demonstration of the device, which is called the "Blackbird". It achieved a down wind speed of 2.8 times the speed of the wind. They certified the records and the device. Then dissenters started claiming that "sure, you can build one in practice, but can you prove it in theory", as if the first explanations were never offered.

It's all documented here:
    http://www.wired.com/autopia/2010/08/ddwfttw/all/1
    That article also showed that the topic was visited in the 1940 by a Physics student, who wrote a paper describing the theory and math behind it. A link is in the article.

I was most taken back by the lack of civility displayed in the discussion, most of it replaced with arrogance and hubris. Discussions of current events at most news sites rapidly devolve into such displays of intolerance, with both sides striving, because they disagree, to be as disagreeable as they can be. It's getting to the point that the only communication some people seem to think is left is that coming out of the barrel of a gun.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Re: Interesting lessons in human attitudes

We should never be so arrogant as to believe we already know every law of physics. There are laws of physics we have not discovered yet. So if the model actually works, and it appears that it does, then there could be something else at work here that we don't understand, but just because we don't understand it does not mean it does not exist. Newton discovered gravity. Was there no gravity before Newton discovered it?

Comment

I'm reading (again) a wonderful book called 'How to Win Friends and Influence People' by Dale Carnegie. It was originally written in 1936 and it is by far the best book on people's attitudes and relations than any I've ever encountered.

There is one quote that I loved so much, I put it right in the middle of a flame war on a different forum in hopes that it would make certain members think before posting. It didn't work, LOL. Here it is:

"When dealing with people, let us remember we are not dealing with creatures of logic. We are dealing with creatures of emotion, creatures bristling with prejudices and motivated by pride and vanity." -Dale Carnegie

Comment

I have no real comment on the attitudes issues. I work with engineers so I'm used to people who don't think like regular humans and are always right

Any sailor can tell you that almost every catamaran and some very fast monohulls can exceed true wind speed in most conditions. However, the key word might be "down wind" as this is not usually the best point of sail, a Beam or Broad Reach is.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
          We should never be so arrogant as to believe we already know every law of physics. There are laws of physics we have not discovered yet. .....
          Excellent points.

There are some Laws of Physics, however, that are not amendable to certain ideas or theories. For example: The First Law of Thermodynamics says the the change in Internal Energy (dE) of a system is equal to the amount of heat, Q, added to the system minus the work, W, done by the system on its surroundings; dE = Q - W. This Law says that if the change in Internal Energy is zero (dE = 0) then Q = W. That also means that W can NOT be greater than Q, the amount of energy in one gallon of gasoline. IF dE were not equal to zero then the device MUST get continually hotter if Q is greater than W, or cool to absolute zero if Q is less than W. The device would either melt and fail, or freeze and fail.

Devices which violate this principle are those which claim to get MORE work, W, out of a system than the heat, Q, put into the system. Such a device should cool to absolute zero, where all kinetic and molecular motion ceases, but the inventors claim they don't. Since, if dE = 0 then W/Q = 1. Any device which supposedly gives more Work out than Q (Heat) in is called an "Over Unity" device because W/Q > 1. If such a device existed such that it gave 1.1 Work out for each 1.0 Q of heat in, several of the devices could be chained together to produce as much excess Work output as needed. I would need only 10 devices to give me a full 2 W of work out for only 1 Q of heat input. Such a bargain. I could split the 2 W out, using 1 W to grind wheat and feeding the other W back into the 10 devices to generate another 2 W, then split that 2 W out into 1 W for grinding wheat and feeding the other W back into the 10 devices .... etc... Infinite Work coming from 1 Q of heat energy. Now you know why they are called First Law Perpetual Motion machines. But, if the devices don't cool down to absolute zero where is the extra W coming from? Not to worry. It comes from what is called "Vacuum Energy" of space, the same source which fueled the Big Bang 13.5 Billion years ago. To date, ALL attempts to build such a device have failed, or have proven to be fakes created by charlatans conning for money. Zero-point energy is a theoretical prediction which has never been demonstrated but is used to allow for all the matter of the Universe spontaneously appearing out of nothing at (in?) a point of space much smaller than the head of a pin.

Those highly and well trained Doctors of Physics who dismissed the DDWFTW device as a violation of the First Law after a casual examination of the claim did so because it is so similar to previous violations of the First Law of Thermodynamics that they are very familiar with. One, for example, has a car with a battery attached to an electric motor which drives the wheels of the car. A windmill is attached to the car and its output is attached to an electrical generator which is used to charge the battery. The battery is already charged and when switch is turned on it begins moving the car. The windmill is turned by the flow of air through which the car is moving, turning the generator which recharges the battery. It would be an example of infinite motion, except that such a device never works. The reasons are worked out in the Second Law of Thermodynamics, which is a topic of another thread. That they dismiss such claims out of hand is because they no longer feel it necessary to waste their time instructing the uneducated or debunking the charlatan.

However, once the BlackBird was built and demonstrated the claim under controlled conditions the criteria for proof was satisfied. Trained Physicists accepted the proof. The rest continue with their usual hubris, misrepresentations and bogus arguments.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
          X