This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally!!

Finally, Linux 3.0 has been released into the wild.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-sourc...-linux-30/9276

The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Re: Finally!!

Yep, kernel 3.0 came in today's aptosid updates. No drama here, except (of course) VMware is not ready for it, and won't compile.

Comment

Now I have a question.

Is the final release available yet in the Oneiric repository yet? I ask i won't upgrade at least until both Linux 3.0 final (done)and KDE SC 4.7 final is released, and 4.7 will be out next week IIRC.

BTW, congrats to Linus Torvalds and all the Linux kernel devs.
      The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

Was under the impression there was never any drama about this impending, anticipated, somewhat arbitrary numerical designation (other than an arbitrary numerical designation).
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by bsniadajewski

Is the final release available yet in the Oneiric repository yet?
          "Final release"? Whatever are you talking about? Oneiric is in Alpha development -- there isn't a "final" anything in it!

Comment

One of possibly several:
            Linux 3.0 Released; Linus Torvalds Explains Why You Shouldn't Care
            http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2388926,00.asp

"Torvalds added. 'But let's face it - what's the point of being in charge if you can't pick the bike shed color without holding a referendum on it? So I'm just going all alpha-male, and just renumbering it. You'll like it.'
            So what has changed in Linux 3.0? Torvalds himself has already answered that.
            'So what are the big changes?' Torvalds wrote. 'NOTHING. Absolutely nothing.'"

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Dibl, I was referring to just the Linux kernel package(s), not Oneiric as a whole.

Comment

Normally the final* kernel compilation for a new *buntu version is in the RC.

*and then another kernel comes in the first or second set of updates after release.

So, I'm not sure "final" is a really descriptive term for the Linux kernel, anyway.

@Qqmike, I think the change from 2.6.36 to 2.6.39 (Debian) was actually more substantive. In that transition, the so-called "Big Kernel Lock" code was all removed, having been incrementally replaced by different and better code for handling latency and I/O throttling issues.So we now have much more "real time" performance in the vanilla 2.6.39/3.0.0 kernel. Or so the experts say .....

Comment

Originally posted by bsniadajewski
                  Is the final release available yet in the Oneiric repository yet?
                  The current kernel in Oneiric seems to be based on the rc7.

I'm expecting a rebase to the 3.0 final fairly soon.

EDIT: the latest kernel packages that just landed on oneiric are based on the final 3.0 kernel release

Comment

The kernel packages, linux-image-*-3.0.0-7.6, are in the Oneiric repository now. Ijust checked over the weekend.

Comment

Working...
                    X