Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Well, google+ is actually kinda fun...

Originally posted by Jonas
    oohh .. could I have a invite please? (e-mail in profile info)
    Check your mail.

Google scares me as much as it intrigue me, and most of their stuff is really good web apps apart from wave that really didnt feel up to the task when they released it.

As far as I know the state supported a quite huge IT development fund in the late 90s- early 00s to bring "broadband" to whole of Sweden, fiber optics was installed all across the country. One goal I *presume* was to connect all the Universities.
    I guess some of you (north) Americans call that "communism" - I call it public service
    Actually, connecting educational institutions around the country is exactly why ARPANET, funded by the military and the first "internet", was created, here in America! That's not communism because it doesn't involve involuntary redistribution of wealth, i.e., dialectical materialism, nor command and control structures not elected fairly and directly by the people.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonas
      As for the ISP broadband width - heres my ....

... for 275.00 SEK = 44.0220 USD *let the envy begin muuahahah *

As far as I know the state supported a quite huge IT development fund in the late 90s- early 00s to bring "broadband" to whole of Sweden, fiber optics was installed all across the country. One goal I *presume* was to connect all the Universities.
      I guess some of you (north) Americans call that "communism" - I call it public service
      Not Comunism. I agree that it was an action for the 'public' good.

The U.S. is so far behind the rest of the civilized world when it comes to *high speed* Internet access. :P
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Well, the US FFC final released a report on the Internet speeds provided by US ISPs, and how their advertized speed compares with their measured speed. It turns out that most are within 20% of their advertized speed. But, to me the problem is the speed itself. Attached is a table of ISPs and their speeds.

Several of our friends in other countries show Internet speeds of 40 to 75Mbs. Jonas displayed a speedtest of 74 Mbs for $42 US/mo. I have an uncapped Earthlink connection at 14Mbs for $52/mo. My upload speed is 1Mbs, but Jonas shows 11Mbs.

A cannot believe that my copper wire connection at 14Mbs is faster than Verizon's "Fiber" at 10Mbs.

These dismal services in the US are a direct result of political corruption caused by our elected officials taking corporate bribes (a.k.a. "campaign contributions") in exchange for favorable legislation. A pox on both their houses. >
        Attached Files
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Me and my wife were thinking of switching from AT&T cellular to Bluegrass cellular. AT&T gets about 1-0 bars in our area. All of our neighbors have Bluegrass service and get 4-5 bars at my house. While looking at their plans I noticed the internet options. They offer 3G (768 down/368 up) for $55/month with unlimited data. I'm wondering if the ping times between 3G and satellite would make the 3G comparable to my satellite connection? 768Kbps is not terribly fast, but my advertised 1Mbps satellite connection usually is between 300Kbps-800Kbps. I'm thinking Bluegrass 3G is a no brainer. Opinions on 3G at home? Hopefully I will at least be able to use Google video chat?

Satellite:

$69.95
          1.0Mbps down
          128Kbps up
          Ping: 900ms-and up (have seen 3100ms before)
          12GB data limit

Bluegrass 3G:

$55.00
          768Kbps down
          368Kbps up
          Ping: 150ms-600ms
          Unlimited data
          Klaatu Barada Nikto

Comment

Check the Bluegrass fine print to be sure that they can not unilaterally revoke the "unlimited" data portion of the contract without notification and/or recourse. If they can't then the Bluegrass is the better of two very poor choices.

BTW, I suspect that your maximum Bluegrass download will be around 650Kbs because most connections are only about 80% efficient.

Comment

A Google+ video ad is here.

Comment

Little ol uk suffers for speeds too, Fibre is not easily available yet...

Cost to me £16 per month, should be £25 (amazing what a little negotiations can achieve - I am thinking of leaving to go to Sky! What can you offer me to stay )

To understand true frustration, one must only go so far as to install Linux!!! and then came Kubuntu and the World is at peace again

Comment

I think I have the best internet speed in the US via Verizon FiOS:

$69 US a month, which is about 42 pounds sterling so it ain't cheap.

However, when you factor in TV via Roku and antenna (free), Hulu Plus ($7), Home telephone (Free via Ooma): All this meaning I've dropped pay TV (4 HD tv's = $140) and copper telephone service ($59)

Monthly, I went from $240 (total reflects some discounts for bundled services) to $76 but had to buy $600 worth of hardware. In the first year I'll save $1400 and $2000 every year after that. Eventually, I'll add a few hundred more in hardware, but I'm still way ahead of the game.

There are slower/lower price ranges on FiOS but if I'm only paying for internet, why not be fast as possible?

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                  X