Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

it seems people are surprised that MS does NOT want their help!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it seems people are surprised that MS does NOT want their help!

Maybe this treatment will start giving people a clue....or not......there are a lot of kool aid drinkers out there: everywhere from online forums to MS product users.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-20...-be-your-idea/

woodsmoke

Re: it seems people are surprised that MS does NOT want their help!

A spitting contest developed in the comment section about the DNA of Win7. Some claimed it was "built from scratch" and those who said otherwise "didn't know what they were talking about". A fellow posted that his validated and VALID installation of Win7 popped the following screen:
    [img width=400 height=239]http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/2185/imag0265k.jpg[/img]
    which clearly shows a message referring to VISTA in the blue section but prompting the user to buy what he already had installed: Win7.

That surprised me. I thought that Win7 was merely XP with a new dress and lipstick. Clearly they merged XP with VISTA code to produce Win8, along with copying the main elements of the KDE4 desktop.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

pppttaaahhhh
      woodsmoke

Comment

That must have been an "upgrade" version of Win 7. I have a copy of Win 7 Pro that I run on a VM, which is "authenticated" or whatever they call it now, and I've never seen anything like that.

On the larger question, I can't imagine that it would make sense for MS or anyone else to "start from scratch" to build a new version of an OS. Any needed module or function that already has been written and tested is going to be reused to save the development time and risk of re-writing it. The Linux kernel has what -- 14 million lines of code today, accumulated over the past 20 years? I've worked with software developers for 30 years, and I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of major projects that started with "scratch".

Comment

Working...
        X