This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ISP's to police your downloads

My question is, in a stupid analogy, should a bus company kick you off the bus if you happen to be carrying copyrighted materials in your briefcase?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31001_3-20...s-DigitalMedia

Re: ISP's to police your downloads

Right.

It's hard to argue that a user should be able to download/transfer pirated copyrighted material through their ISP's pipes. It's not like we have a right to it.

However, what is carefully avoided in this article, is how exactly your ISP knows what the content of your file transfer is. That un-mentioned capability is what worries me. >

Comment

I don't think anyone should break the law. I don't download or permit to be downloaded on my computers any protected properties that have not been paid for or which permission has not been granted by the owner. My problem is, why are the ISP's now in a position as police to enforce laws?

Comment

ssh pipes. 1024 byte or larger key.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

biting lip so i don't make a post to get me kicked off the forum.

But, I must again state that the simple use of the "interstate commerce clause" argument could be made that if I download a Linux that the download represents a reduction of sales to MS and or Apple and the "person providing the download could be taken to court and would lose.

If the person providing the download is offshore from the U.S. then the ISPs ALL OF THEM can be enjoined to block ALL ISPS so that not download from that person could get through.

And don't think that they could not eventually block every single provider because there are not THAT many nodes coming into the U.S.

woodsmoke

Comment

You'll never be kicked out of KFN - you make us smile and laugh enough to keep us all feeling good.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

lol
              ok but again i don't know that the compliment is much deserved!

woodsmoke

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke
                But, I must again state that the simple use of the "interstate commerce clause" argument could be made that if I download a Linux that the download represents a reduction of sales to MS and or Apple and the "person providing the download could be taken to court and would lose.
                That's a scary thought. But I don't think it would happen. Not only would Linux downloads be blocked, but they would also have to block all free software. That would include a lot of software that Windows users download. OpenOffice, LibreOffice, free versions of antivirus programs, etc. Can you imagine the consumer backlash that would occur?

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
                  Can you imagine the consumer backlash that would occur?
                  I would go back to paper xD I wouldn't mind paying for open source software because I know the quality is great and the price would be very reasonable, assuming that we had to pay for everything in the world (how much is a hug?). However, paying lots of money for every single crappy proprietary software that doesn't do half of what free open source software can do, I don't think so.

Comment

Originally posted by Zhao
                    (how much is a hug?)
                    Well, after it gets patented and a way is devised to meter them, we'll find out.
                    The Page Up and Page Down key functions have been patented by MS. They've also patented the "XOR" function, IIRC.

Most corporations may be greedy, but they are not stupid. Larry Elison, Gates, Ballmer, ad infinitum. Look how Verizon suckered people into buying iPhone with "free data", knowing that they'll change phones or plans soon enough and the "free" part vanishes.
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

One way that ISPs track what you're doing is through their DNS logs. If you don't want your ISP to know what you're doing, then you should use a different DNS other than your ISP's DNS servers, for example OpenDNS, Comodo, ScrubIt, or possibly even Google's DNS services.

If you don't want to be tracked even by Google, of course, don't use Google DNS servers.

Also, don't use Google at all -- use DuckDuckGo as your search engine instead.

More info:

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Natty#Privacy

especially:

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Natty#DN...Search_engines

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
                      and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke
                        I'm curious how you draw this conclusion?

Comment

Originally posted by perspectoff
                          One way that ISPs track what you're doing is through their DNS logs. If you don't want your ISP to know what you're doing, then you should use a different DNS other than your ISP's DNS servers, for example OpenDNS, Comodo, ScrubIt, or possibly even Google's DNS services.

If you don't want to be tracked even by Google, of course, don't use Google DNS servers.

Also, don't use Google at all -- use DuckDuckGo as your search engine instead.

More info:

http://www.kubuntuguide.info/index.php/Natty#Privacy

especially:

http://www.kubuntuguide.info/index.p...Search_engines
                          Thanks for the heads up about the other DNS servers. I use OpenDNS on my kid's linux box, and have it locked down pretty good for them. But because of that, I couldn't use it on my computer. Thus I stuck with the default AT&T servers.

Anybody have any opinions on good/bad DNS servers? Would like to hear what you think.

Comment

You can run your own DNS. See bind9 in the repositories.

Comment

Another thing you can do is to ping those sites you visit often and get their actual IP address, and then either edit your bookmark to use the IP address instead of the url, or you can add the site to your /etc/hosts file. As an added benefit, besides bypassing the DNS of your internet provider, it will also speed up your connect time to those sites. Only problem is, sometimes sites IP addresses change.

Comment

Working...
                              X