Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Biggest Botnet ever found... 4,524,488 computers around the world!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Biggest Botnet ever found... 4,524,488 computers around the world!

http://www.securelist.com/en/analysi...0/TDL4_Top_Bot

TDL-4 is a bootkit, which means that it infects the MBR in order to launch itself, thus ensuring that malicious code will run prior to operating system start. This is a classic method used by downloaders which ensures a longer malware lifecycle and makes it less visible to most security programs.

TDL nimbly hides both itself and the malicious programs that it downloads from antivirus products. To prevent other malicious programs not associated with TDL from attracting the attention of users of the infected machine, TDL-4 can now delete them. Not all of them, of course, just the most common.
    Command and control server statistics

Despite the steps taken by cybercriminals to protect the command and control centers, knowing the protocol TDL-4 uses to communicate with servers makes it possible to create specially crafted requests and obtain statistics on the number of infected computers. Kaspersky Lab’s analysis of the data identified three different MySQL databases located in Moldova, Lithuania, and the USA, all of which supported used proxy servers to support the botnet.

According to these databases, in just the first three months of 2011 alone, TDL-4 infected 4,524,488 computers around the world.
    In early 2009 I was asked by a friend to find out why his Windows XP was taking so long to boot and running so slow. His AV was active and up to date. Except for the usual trash the CCleaner removes, I could find nothing. So, I booted a LiveCD and mounted the Windows partition. Files that never appeared using Windows Explorer were plainly visible with Dolphin. It was a keyboard logger. They had to go change their bank account info immediately and the passwords to any important web sites.

Removing the bad files and rebooting I quickly discovered that the malware files were back, even though the Internet was not connected. To me, that meant only two possible routes, the MBR or the phantom "D" drive where the repair image of Windows resides. Turns out the malware was in both places. Since he did not have a secure copy of the MBR record, I told him that the only way I could clean his machine was to totally scrub the drive, including the MBR, which meant that he'd lose his Windows installation, since Microsoft no longer included an Install disk in their package. IF he purchased a new copy the odds were that the same AV software which let the malware in would let it in again. His best, and most affordable, solution was to give Kubuntu the entire drive. He did, and he's never been bothered by viruses or Trojans since then.

Just as a reminder, last year a group of bad guys decided to capture some Linux boxes to use as command and controls for the Windows bot farms. It took them 6 months of brute force manually attacks to acquire 700 Linux boxes. It took the bad guys controlling the TDL-4 only 3 months to capture over 4 million Windows boxes. IF Linux were as equally susceptible to these kinds of attacks then over 600,000 of those zombies should be Linux boxes, but they are not.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Re: Biggest Botnet ever found... 4,524,488 computers around the world!

Would rkhunter or chkrootkit have been of any use in this situation?

Comment

I don't know if rkhunter or chkrootkit have versions that run on Windows.

But, if they do, unless they were run before the infection and made a backup of the MBR with which to compare the current MBR with, they'd never see the infected MBR as being infected. And, I doubt that any AV product checks the phantom drive where the restoration software is.

However, like many infective agents, or at least the better written ones, they replace utilities which could reveal their presence with modified versions of the same name so that when the user runs them that modified utility never shows the viral or Trojan agents.

The TDL-4 Trojan does not infect Linux computers.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

The MBR is just a series of registers that designates where a bootloader is located.

It is pre-operating system and has nothing to do with any OS.

To say it is "Windows" or "Linux" is ignorant.

However, a MBR "trojan" or "virus" must reference a program stored someplace on the drive.

The true payload is that small program. It must be installed somewhere, so the question is where is a susceptible spot.

To communicate over the Internet requires linking a number of modules, which must be found in an OS of some type.

PXE bootloading can be done for Linux OS as well as Windows OS, so the attack is not necessarily unique to Windows and can be adapted to Linux, theoretically.

I hope no one really listens to this forum for security advice. I have never heard such idiocy when it comes to security as i have heard in these forums.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
        and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

I hope that if you continue to post here you keep a civil tongue.

Comment

Originally posted by perspectoff
            The MBR is just a series of registers that designates where a bootloader is located.
            Just a series of registers? You are confusing the CPU with a sector on a Hard Disk.
            Consulting an elementary source of information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_boot_record, just to keep this simple...
            A master boot record (MBR) is a type of boot sector popularized by the IBM Personal Computer.[1] It consists of a sequence of 512 bytes located at the first sector of a data storage device such as a hard disk. MBRs are usually placed on storage devices intended for use with IBM PC-compatible systems.
            In addition to the bootstrap code and a partition table, master boot records may contain a Windows NT disk signature. This is a 32-bit value that is intended to identify uniquely the disk medium (as opposed to the disk unit — the two not necessarily being the same for removable hard disks).

It is pre-operating system and has nothing to do with any OS.

To say it is "Windows" or "Linux" is ignorant.
            The Wikipedia (and about any other source you could quote on the topic) goes on to explain:
            Windows NT (and later Microsoft operating systems) uses the disk signature as an index to all the partitions on any disk ever connected to the computer under that OS; these signatures are kept in registry keys, primarily for storing the persistent mappings between disk partitions and drive letters. It may also be used in boot.ini files (though most do not), to describe the location of bootable Windows NT (or later) partitions.[19] One key (among many) where NT disk signatures appear in a Windows 2000/XP registry is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices\

If a disk's signature stored in the MBR was A8 E1 B9 D2 (in that order) and its first partition corresponded with logical drive C: under Windows, then the REG_BINARY data under the key value DosDevices\C: would be:

A8 E1 B9 D2 00 7E 00 00 00 00 00 00
            The bootstrap sequence in the BIOS will load the first valid MBR that it finds into the computer's physical memory at address 0x7C00. The last instruction executed in the BIOS code will be a "jump" to that address, to direct execution to the beginning of the MBR copy. The primary validation for most BIOSes is the 0xAA55 signature on the end, although a BIOS implementor may choose to include other checks, such verifying that the MBR contains a valid partition table without entries referring to sectors beyond the reported capacity of the disk.
            which explains your apparent confusion about "registers" and the MBR. You're soaked in too much Windows lore.

Linux does not use the Windows Register System. Even if it is set up in dual boot mode, when Linux is booted the Windows partition is not loaded nor is the Windows OS run, so the "Registry" would not be in play. But, ignoring your arrogant "idiocy" statement, I believe you knew that. You also know that unlike Windows, a Linux user cannot use a utility to modify the MBR without root permission, which is one reason why you don't see many, if any, Linux computers sharing zombie spots with Windows boxes in gigantic bot farms.

Linux users dual booting with Windows can get a Windows MBR Trojan infecting the MBR, which can give problems booting into Linux if the Trojan vector address in the MBR points to the Windows Volume Boot Record. But, what usually happens is that the Trojan messes up the Linux Grub boot loader and Linux won't boot.

It seems that MBR infection vectors are returning to popularity after their splurge four years ago. A couple years ago a friend was having repeated problems with his XP installation and on the last one I found that his MBR was infected. It turns out that the Trojan also infected the recovery partition, so "fixing" the MBR didn't fix the problem, it just gaven the illusion that the malware was removed. He didn't have re-installation disks, just recovery disks, so I nuked his entire drive, including the MBR and the recovery partition, and installed Kubuntu. He was pleased with the desktop and his computer problems disappeared. So did his AV subscription costs.

Comment

I hope no one really listens to this forum for security advice. I have never heard such idiocy when it comes to security as i have heard in these forums.
              I invite you to leave this forum. The amount of mis-information and animosity you provide simply is not worth your infrequent contributions. Please feel free to post elsewhere.

Greygeek: We've had a discussion of MBR and hard drive partitioning on another thread. I don't think he's listening...

Please Read Me

Comment

Yes, I know.

He made some excellent comments about the MBR in thread, which is why I knew that the stuff about the MBR being merely a set of "registers" was probably a bad post, done in haste. He frequently gives very good advice on a variety of topics, especially those concerned with Windows, when he can keep his wheelbarrow out of the way. Besides, disagreeing with someone is no reason to be booted from the forum, as long as they are civil and refrain from insults and ad hominem attacks. Look at how many people disagree with me about a variety of things.

Comment

Working...
                X