This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Synaptic dropped from Ubuntu Oneiric

I just read over on Slashdot that Synaptic and Update Manager has been dropped from the default LiveCD on Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric, with just USC as the default frontend. Personally I've tried USC, but I like Synaptic better, as well as other similar Package Manager GUIs like rpmdrake or Yast.
    The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Re: Synaptic dropped from Ubuntu Oneiric

As long as the K/X/Ubuntu is using the one CD installation media there will be the 700 mb problem /1/. With every new release there is the problem what to keep in the default installation - read: what can be crammed in the CD.

Some time ago the Gimp was dropped from the Ubuntu CD - there was lot of noise. Now as then those who want to install the Gimp/Synaptic/whatever can install them later or use the DVD installation media. With the Kubuntu > kubuntu-full:
    Full Kubuntu Plasma Desktop/Netbook system

This package depends on all of the packages in the Kubuntu DVD for a very complete system. Installing this package will include much more than the default Kubuntu Plasma Desktop or Netbook installation.
    . Maybe there is the ubuntu-full - hmm ?

/1/ There are also the DVD version etc.
    A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
    Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

Sorta OT but Canonical's decision not to include testdisk on their live CDs has caused me to have to maintain Yet Another Thumb Drive with System Rescue CD on it.

Where I work when someone gets a new PC their old one is fdisked immediately and put back on the shelf - maybe 10% of the time the end user forgets some of their data and we have to restore the partition on the old PC so the user can get their data. An *buntu live CD is overkill for a simple partition restore, but it'd be one less thumb drive I had to carry - plus the System Rescue CD interface scares my techs so the only one who uses it is me

I agree with rog that synaptic is redundant on a live CD - anybody with a real requirement for syanptic can just install it on the first reboot.
      we see things not as they are, but as we are.
      -- anais nin

Comment

Synaptic for NEW people to Linux.

I'm glad that Wizard made the comment about Synaptic.

I will NOT be posting a "how to" or "the merits" of Synaptic.

FOR THE NEW PERSON TO LINUX.....

Use whatever "program" / "package" installer Kubuntu, or any other debian based distro give you......

LEARN FROM IT THE THOUSANDS OF AVAILABLE PROGRAMS.....

And then, with ALMOST NO EFFORT...... download "Synaptic" from the repositories and get access to EVEN MORE STUFF!!!

And, if your PARTICULAR distro does not have Synaptic in the repositories repos then just ask here and one of those smart Linuxy people will help you....me I'm just a hardware and applications kinda guy.

woodtoolazysmoke

Comment

Rog, a DVD image would be nice to have instead of a CD iso, if I had a fast enough connection. My cellular/3G-based connection averages about 700 kbps so even a CD image takes roughle 2-3 hours to download. But then again, when I (re)install a Linux OS, I later remove anything (programs, drivers, l10n, etc) I don't need or want; so that when I do a dist-upgrade it only upgrades what I have without worrying about the extra stuff I didn't want.
          The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

From the > Threads in Forum : Ubuntu +1 (Oneiric Ocelot) >> New default applications, synaptic removed.

"Top-down & bottom-up" installations

There are many ways to install > Ubuntu installation guide. The ISO's are available from the > MinimalCD (approximately 5 to 20MB) to the > (Alternative downloads)DVD (~4.0G).
            A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
            Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

The minimal CD is what I used for (re)installing 11.04. Not only did I turn the install from a 32-bit to a 64-bit install, I was able to make this thing very lean. Before, I had roughly 1100 packages installed; Now, I have 790 packages, with only what I want and need.

Comment

As much as I like Synaptic I find myself moving away from GTK based apps, when ever possible, to eventually avoid loading the whole Gnome compatibility layer. Muon is coming along nicely as a KDE replacement.

But, for most upgrades (not version) I find myself using apt-get from a konsole more often than not.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I've always ripped out adept/kpackagekit and installed synaptic, but I use KDE only. No big deal. Lately I've been making myself use muon. It is almost on par with synaptic. Hopefully in the next 1-2 releases it will become the default package manager.
                  Klaatu Barada Nikto

Comment

@ 67GTA - Muon will be default in 11.10 (Oneiric) come this October. So you won't have to wait long.

Comment

I was able to get the daily Kubuntu image for the 27th and play with it today. Muon is the default as was mentioned above, plus there is a "moun software center". It is a qt version of the Ubuntu software center. This should have everyone covered for 11.10!
                      Klaatu Barada Nikto

Comment

Originally posted by 67GTA
                        I was able to get the daily Kubuntu image for the 27th and play with it today. Muon is the default as was mentioned above, plus there is a "moun software center". It is a qt version of the Ubuntu software center. This should have everyone covered for 11.10!
                        yes it should have most people covered , the only problem i have w/ muon it is lacks the abilty to select more then one package at once so i can select a bunch and rt.click to install/remove etc... (hopefully this gets added)
                        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48
                          Originally posted by 67GTA
                          yes it should have most people covered , the only problem i have w/ muon it is lacks the abilty to select more then one package at once so i can select a bunch and rt.click to install/remove etc... (hopefully this gets added)
                          This'll be there in Muon 1.2, which is what will come with Kubuntu 11.04.

Comment

@JontheEchidna

you mean 11.10?

BTW great job!

Comment

Erm, yes. :P

Comment

Working...
                              X