X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New version of powertop coming!

http://www.h-online.com/open/feature...x-1257057.html

New user interface

Like earlier versions of the tool, on starting up, the second generation of Powertop provides an overview of which programs engage the CPU how often and thus shorten the time the processor can remain in power-saving sleep states. In a compact overview, the program now not only displays the processor load, it also indicates how often the graphics chip (GPU/Graphics Processing Unit) became active in the previous measuring period, and how often the Virtual File System (VFS), which offers basic file system functionality, accessed the storage media.

However, the new version provides considerably more detail about the various processor cores' sleep periods, and it also shows the status of the processor package – which includes the processor cores and the "uncore" area that contains components such as the memory controller and I/O units. The information is no longer presented on the main program page but is now located in the "Idle Stats" tab, which is accessible by pressing the right cursor key. Which clock speed is being used, how often, and whether the processor also shifts to turbo boost frequencies is shown in the "Frequency Stats" tab. The "Device Stats" tab provides a device activity overview and displays the number of transmitted network packages. Devices that don't use any power-saving mechanisms are listed as being one hundred per cent active.
    Fine tuning

The last tab offers "Tunables" that allow users to enable and disable specific power-saving features – such as the auto-suspend feature for USB and audio hardware. Unfortunately, it remains unknown exactly how Powertop makes this happen; ultimately, however, it tends to use the tricks described in detail at lesswatts.org.

One of the reasons why current distributions don't automatically use all the power-saving mechanisms that are accessible via Powertop is that some of them are quite recent and only work with the latest kernel versions.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Re: New version of powertop coming!

GG, do you know what the actual effect of twiddling the "Tunables" items is? What does "good" and "bad" mean? My powertop is ver. 1.97 from the Debian unstable repo -- it looks like the description in your article, with the tabs including the "Tunables". But there's no manual, and I have no clue what the consequences might be of switching "bads" to "goods". Any ideas?

Comment

No. If no docs or manual is offered with the tool I will pull the source and see what the code does.

On 10.04 my powertop is at 1.12, so you're well ahead of my version, and probably running the beta of 2.0. In fact, the project director is debugging 1.98 in preparation for the release of 2.0:

Subject: PowerTOP 2.0 update
      Newsgroups: gmane.linux.power-management.lesswatts.general, gmane.linux.power-management.powertop
      Date: 2011-05-20 05:31:20 GMT (3 weeks, 5 days, 8 hours and 49 minutes ago)

Hi,

just wanted to let folks know; at work we're in a "deep power dive" project right now where we're using PowerTOP 1.98... and it's a good opportunity for finding the last real issues and gaps that one would need to do such project...

I was planning to release 2.0 already, but the bugfixes and improvements that come from this project make me think it's worth waiting a little bit longer, maybe some 2 weeks, before releasing the 2.0 version.
      My take is that powertop is all about saving power. The "tips&tricks" on the lesswatts.org website, which was given as examples of what "tunables" are and would do, focuses entirely on saving power, except that in addition to the CPU the new version also monitors the GPU and the VFS.

I rarely run this notebook in battery mode, so I don't care about power savings. I do care about CPU speed and so keeping the IRQ calls to a minimum helps that and, no doubt, will help the GPU as well.

Looking at their 64 bit kernel issues I suspect that it will take longer than "2 weeks" to sort them out, and the 2.0 probably won't be on the shelves before Sept 1st.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Here is the README that is linked in your article: http://git.kernel.org/?p=status/powe...README;hb=HEAD

Right, I'm not running an i7-950 because of my energy consumption anxiety.

However, I have a couple of netbooks that could probably benefit from some tuning.

On my desktop, on the tunables tab, it showed me a long list of "bad" items, which I toggled to "good", leaving only two that I don't think I want to touch. The results look like this:

[img width=400 height=385]http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/8477/powertop197.png[/img]

But I don't know whether those changes take effect until I reboot -- I kinda suspect that is the case, and I wonder what the result of all those toggles might be. (he says with sweaty palms )

Comment

OK, got my answer. The "good" and "bad" settings are real time only, they don't survive a reboot:

[img width=400 height=385]http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/6489/powertop197a.png[/img]

Comment

Wow! That's not "good"!

It looks like powerTOP is making changes in the /proc directory, which is volatile.

This will lead to research by the user to establish which settings give the user the desired performance, what ever that is, and then which config files to adjust to make those settings permanent.

Comment

I'm a little bemused at the notion of putting the PCI bus to sleep, even for a little while, given that my "/" filesystem is on a SSD that is on a PCI card connected to the PCI bus. Doesn't sound like a very wise way to save energy ...

Putting the USB keyboard to sleep won't help my typing, either. :P

Comment

Well, if it doesn't filter down to 10.04 then it will probably be two or three years before I see it.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek

This will lead to research by the user to establish which settings give the user the desired performance
                  Yeah, so one would think. This user took a look in /proc, just for fun. Wow! Talk about looking for needles in the hay field!

Comment

Tons of needles, to be sure, but lots of jewels, like "cpuinfo":
                    Code:
                    :/proc$ cat cpuinfo
                    processor    : 0
                    vendor_id    : GenuineIntel
                    cpu family   : 6
                    model      : 23
                    model name   : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU   P8400 @ 2.26GHz
                    stepping    : 6
                    cpu MHz     : 800.000
                    cache size   : 3072 KB
                    physical id   : 0
                    siblings    : 2
                    core id     : 0
                    cpu cores    : 2
                    apicid     : 0
                    initial apicid : 0
                    fpu       : yes
                    fpu_exception  : yes
                    cpuid level   : 10
                    wp       : yes
                    flags      : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi 
                    mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good aperfmperf 
                    pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 lahf_lm dts tpr_shadow vnmi 
                    flexpriority
                    bogomips    : 4518.81
                    clflush size  : 64
                    cache_alignment : 64
                    address sizes  : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
                    power management:

processor    : 1
                    vendor_id    : GenuineIntel
                    cpu family   : 6
                    model      : 23
                    model name   : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU   P8400 @ 2.26GHz
                    stepping    : 6
                    cpu MHz     : 800.000
                    cache size   : 3072 KB
                    physical id   : 0
                    siblings    : 2
                    core id     : 1
                    cpu cores    : 2
                    apicid     : 1
                    initial apicid : 1
                    fpu       : yes
                    fpu_exception  : yes
                    cpuid level   : 10
                    wp       : yes
                    flags      : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts 
                    acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good
                    aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 lahf_lm dts
                     tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority
                    bogomips    : 4518.80
                    clflush size  : 64
                    cache_alignment : 64
                    address sizes  : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
                    power management:
                    jerry@sonyvgnfw140e:/proc$
                    or this jewel about the battery state:
                    Code:
                    jerry@sonyvgnfw140e:/proc/acpi/battery/BAT0$ cat state
                    present:         yes
                    capacity state:     ok
                    charging state:     discharging
                    present rate:      20520 mW
                    remaining capacity:   40480 mWh
                    present voltage:     unknown
                    jerry@sonyvgnfw140e:/proc/acpi/battery/BAT0$ cat info
                    present:         yes
                    design capacity:     50610 mWh
                    last full capacity:   50610 mWh
                    battery technology:   non-rechargeable
                    design voltage:     121650 mV
                    design capacity warning: 1000 mWh
                    design capacity low:   400 mWh
                    cycle count:       0
                    capacity granularity 1: 100 mWh
                    capacity granularity 2: 100 mWh
                    model number:      
                    serial number:      
                    battery type:      LiOn
                    OEM info:        Sony Corp.
                    jerry@sonyvgnfw140e:/proc/acpi/battery/BAT0$ cat alarm
                    alarm:          unsupported
                    jerry@sonyvgnfw140e:/proc/acpi/battery/BAT0$
                    and that is just scratching the surface!

Comment

Right -- I'm familiar with cpuinfo, and also some of the vfs settings that I set in /etc/sysctl.conf. But, a check of the "properties" of the /proc folder shows 6,239 subfolders, and a total of 55,448 files. That's a serious stack of stuff to look at!

Comment

Imagine that, 55,448 files that contain operating parameters, settings, data, etc..., and most of it evaporates when the power is turned off ... which is why powerTOP's tunables don't yet survive a power cycle.

Comment

Working...
                        X