This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new ssd day ;-)

Got a 60gb OCZ Agility 2 SSD as an early Father's Day present. Yanked out the 500gb drive from my netbook and installed the SSD this morning

I put the 500gb drive in an external enclosure, copied my home directory and a few other configuration files to the SSD then reformatted it as NTFS and put my multimedia on it.

I'm getting really good at reconstructing a machine without rebooting it these days

Anyway, netbook runs great. grub to working desktop in ~30 seconds, which ain't bad for a netbook
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

Re: new ssd day ;-)

Nice! I assume you did all the alignment stuff necessary for longevity?

Please Read Me

Comment

Re: new ssd day ;-)

Originally posted by oshunluvr
      Nice! I assume you did all the alignment stuff necessary for longevity?
      Nah - I don't align partitions on SSDs.

Academically the numbers work but in real-world situations I've benchmarked SSDs with and without partition alignment using the same hardware in both tests and I think people would be hard-pressed to tell the difference.

By my math a file read or written on an unaligned partition can only increase the number of blocks used by 1 on any given read or write so for me it's just not worth the effort - and with the state of current SSD technology I'm not too worried about wearing the thing out.

Of course, YMMV
      we see things not as they are, but as we are.
      -- anais nin

Comment

Working...
      X