This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone else tried Mageia yet?

I just downloaded and installed Mageia on a spare HD I have here to just try out. After problems with booting into the install from Kubuntu's grub2 I was able to get in (with help from the Ubuntu forum). It looks and acts just like Mandriva from which it forked. So far, everything has run smoothly.
    The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Re: Has anyone else tried Mageia yet?

Installing from netinstall now...

Why do they only offer 32-bit LiveCDs? For 64-bit, I havbe to download a DVD or use the netinstall. No one downloads DVDs anymore...
    Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

I have the 32-bit Gnome version installed. For now, Mageia is using the Classic Gnome 2.32.1 with a few apps from version 3 like gucharmap. I personally would rather use a (Live)-CD because it is a much quicker and smaller dl than a DVD, even an iso that could only fit a DVD like LM KDE edition or such.
      The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

I installed the 64-bit KDE version in Parallels desktop for mac. Nice control center, highly customized KDE & LSB compliant. Package selection isn't as good as *buntu with GetDeb or Fedora with rpmfusion. Like the installer, but this isn't a system for old computers.
        Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Yes, I did. It inherits most of itself from Mandriva and therefore doesn't have a way to connect to the Internet via a CDMA device.
          http://saurav.celestarium.org/

Comment

Earlier this week I upgraded my MAgeia install from 1 to Cauldron, which is their version of Mandriva's Cooker or OpenSuse's Factory. After I did that, the number of packages increased, and I was welcomed with Gnome 3 with the shell. There must be something wrong with Mageia's implementation of mutter because every timer I log into the Gnome shell it (mutter) crashes. I could still into the "classic" UI to anything like upgrading though. Other than that, Mageia is OK, not greatlike Kubuntu is.

Comment

Working...
            X