This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just installed Kubuntu 11.04 and loving it

who would've thought that a 4 year old laptop with a meager 1GB of RAM, which is further shared with the gpu, could run a 64 bit os without a hitch?

That os is KUBUNTU!!! IT'S BLAZING FAST!! YAY I LOVE IT!!

zzzzzzzzzzzz..........

but of course, i had to tweak a few things.

i have an ati gpu which uses around 128MB of shared memory, which leaves me with at least 880MB of effective RAM. so, i had to set the swappiness higher than usual. i've put 75 with no problems so far.

*disabled akonadi server and also desktop search.

i've enabled only a few desktop effects. performance between xrender and opengl is almost comparable, so which one do i use?

Re: Just installed Kubuntu 11.04 and loving it

I'm in the same boat as you, though I have a 32-bit OS and only 991MB of RAM :/

I have always used OpenGL without problems, and can happily run 11.04 with everything and no worries. The only thing I did was set my swap to 1.5gigs, and thats been working wonderfully as well.

Personally, I think its because Kubuntu is awesome, I've yet to have a problem that I can't fix with it
    Computer Lie #1: You&#39;ll never use all that disk space.<br />FATAL SYSTEM ERROR: Press F13 to continue...<br />The box said, &quot;Requires Windows 7 Home Edition or better&quot; ..so I installed Linux<br />My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.<br />Bad command. Bad, bad command! Sit! Stay! Staaay...

Comment

Re: Just installed Kubuntu 11.04 and loving it

Yep. I have a Gateway laptop with a AMD Turion 64 X2 chip. It was having overheating problems and wireless drop issues. I've installed Kubuntu 11.04 on it and the wireless hasn't dropped yet. It seems to run a little cooler too...but I can't say that for sure. All I know is I am glad I've made this into a Linuxtop and it's awesome. So far, Kubuntu 11.04 is just as stable as 10.10 was, however I've noticed I can't drag icons out to my desktop anymore. Has anyone noticed this? Maybe a KDE bug, Anyway..so far, Kubuntu is doing a great job on this laptop. It turned a piece of junk into a sweet laptop. That's the beauty of Linux.l

Comment

Working...
      X