This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Library systems goint to open source database system

This is somewhat amazing to me, because I try to keep up with open source projects in Education.

Another example of "the Bazaar" in action, but not in a way that the author envisioned.

Not all libraries, but a lot of libraries in and around Connecticut are moving to the software here are some salient point, all of which are worth a read, as is the original article.

415 library systems and 858 outlets.

This really will be a showcase for open source if they can pull it off.

Middlebury-based Bibliomation, a member-drive, nonprofit consortium representing more than 40 public and school libraries across the state, including in Bethel, Brookfield, Middlebury, Monroe, Naugatuck, Newtown, Oxford, Southbury and Woodbury, is spearheading the switchover.

The consortium is moving away from a proprietary system, SirsiDynix’s Horizon Integrated Library System, to an open source software system dubbed BiblioOak and based on a framework called Evergreen.

Evergreen apparently has been in use in other parts of the country, including Georgia and Michigan, Mike Simonds, Bibliomation’s chief executive officer said.

DOT DOT DOT

The new open source format we are getting will make it better and easier to maneuver around the library system," said Lunn. “It will also make it easier to maneuver on the patron’s home computers. They will now be able to have accounts were they can check due dates, place holds and requests, just a much better format…I think when the patrons get back after the upgrade is done they will be very excited about the switch.”

DOT DOT DOT

Part of the reason for the switch has to do with SirsiDynix’s uncertain future in library services.

The company had undergone several mergers in the past and was

recently purchased by the hedge fund Vista Equity, which does not appear interested in libraries, officials said.

The other reason has to do with cost, library and Bibliomation officials said.

“It doesn’t have the software costs associated with it,” Simonds said of Evergreen.

Barney said one area missing from the software was the lack of a specific search field for the library's kids' collection, though for the time being there is a work-around and a "fix is in the works."

In addition, federal grants are available for programmers to work on enhancements and some consortiums in other parts of the country using Evergreen are pooling those grants and sharing the resulting source codes, Barney said.
    primary article

Biblioak the open source project within Bibliomation the Connecticut Library consortium

the Evergreen ILS open source library project

woodsmoke

Re: Library systems goint to open source database system

Cool! I think! thanks for the links. Reading now.

Comment

Working...
    X